Greedy Student Athletes Are Ruining Everything

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 26, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    EA sports has announced they will not be making a CFB game next year and will evaluate things going forward as far as making them in the future. Because these greedy college athletes can't figure out a way to be successful in life after football/bball/baseball, they are going to ruin the game (and everything that goes along with it) for generations to come.

Why? Because greedy former athletes are starting to sue anyone and everyone. Its not enough that they got a free degree that most normal students (who actually want to be there) pay big money for. It's not good enough that they have the potential to and get the training to possibly make millions in the pros.. to play a childs game... Nope, because they can't figure out a way to not bankrupt themselves, they feel like they need to go after anyone they think they can make a buck off of.

Whats going to happen when they waste away the money they get on ponzi schemes and drugs? (Don't bash me, check the statistics) Will they go searching for sports bars that have some of their memorabilia hanging on the wall and sue them too?

I'm telling you now, these greedy athletes will be the death of college sports as we know it.. I hope they are happy about destroying one of the best sports on earth just to make a quick buck..

http://kotaku.com/no-college-football-video-game-next-year-says-ea-sport-1404530680
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    That's what happens when they get 'lawyered-up'. Without these lawyers this is a non issue.
  3. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +525
    Although I agree to a certain extent, that game had really gone downhill the past few years. Maybe this will give a chance for another developer to create a better one down the road.
  4. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Yup seen that and it's a sad deal for me anyway. I have bought every year for I don't know how long and I agree this gen they haven't been great but 14 actually is pretty dang fun even with not being perfect

College sports games are just dead as far as video games goes
  5. Stewie4Governor

Stewie4Governor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    I hope you mean they ruined a video game. I'm not seeing how EA sports ceasing to sell a game affects college football in any significant way.

Also, what is greedy about going after EA sports? EA pays all NFL teams & NFL players to use their likenesses in Madden. To think it was okay to use college players' likeness and not pay anything is sketchy at best. The NCAA even approved this and simply said you can't use player names. The NCAA was complicit in making a mockery of their own amateurism rules by directly allowing an external company to profit off of players. You never thought it was odd that the game cover was always a former player? EA sports and the NCAA conspired to get around the rules the NCAA made, and that is painfully obvious to everyone which is why EA sports settled. By the time the case is over, we will have major reform in the governing body of college sports, but that will only affect off-field issues. The on-field product will have not be affected.
  6. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Sorry for being a little vague, I couldn't care less about the video game, this story is just the beginning of a long line of posturing and/or lawsuits from student athletes that feel like they need to be paid to play a childs game. They are already paid plenty with a free scholarship and everything else that goes along with it.
  7. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Seems like a big leap from EA Sports not making an inconsequential video game to athletes ruining everything.
  8. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    It's an entitlement thing, but I don't know a way around it. The games shouldn't be able to take a likeness of a person and use it devoid of compensation. And most gamers want the game to have likenesses of actual players.

It is unfortunate that everything is reduced to a "what is in it for me?" mentality, but that mentality has taken over the country if not the world. Athletes aren't happy with getting the chance to play in front of crowds, or that that chance might turn into something bigger. Or not. Instead they feel like if someone makes a dime with anything they are tangentially connected to, they should get a piece of it. And its not hard to see it that way.

But i wish it were different. It's just not.
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    If you have been paying attention, the video game thing is just a small piece of whats going on. I figured everyone was kinda on the same page as far as knowing that athletes are being more and more vocal about being paid.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    Touchy subject. Part of me agrees. You're getting a FREE ride. College is expensive as chit. Shut the hell up and appreciate what you got. On the other side, I can understand wanting a share of the pie, when your name is being used to make millions. Think about how many copies EA sold when Tebow was on the cover. And you know he didn't get a cent from it.

The people complaining are probably kickers, punters or no name players from years ago.

I can see both sides of the argument, really. Tough call...
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    You bring up an interesting point about the athlete on the cover. I can go for them getting some sort of compensation after they have left college. Maybe the requirement could be that it has to be a senior and that person gets some royalties for the game after their amateur status is up...

Other than that, we have to remember that EA is using a character that is similar, not exactly the same as these kids. They aren't using their names and frankly, EA gets it wrong half the time anyway.

If they make a game where somehow Tebow was black and they got his number wrong, does he still get money from EA?
  12. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Good for the student athletes. No sympathy for the hypocritical NCAA.
  13. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Screw EA Sports There products are shit anyways Maddon is far superior anyways.
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    You are aware that EA is the company that makes Madden, right?
  15. Pasco08

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Yes but the college line of football games has been utter crap as of late compared to Maddon and i don't know why.
  16. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I won't argue here, EA's sports games are usually the same every year anyway. I only buy them about every 3-4 years. I can simply recruit new players and name them whatever I want or create them as I see fit (not with 100% attributes of course, thats just dumb IMHO).
  17. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I don't what Madden game you been playing then as they are nearly the same game besides a few differences here and there.

As for players being played I think they should either get over or don't play simple as that. You're getting a free ride to a good college that many people can only dream and if you're making it that big in college odds are you will be in the NFL soon
  18. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    Incorrect. They've been just fine.
  19. Pasco08

Ratings Received:
    +102
    That is your opinion but i think differently.

Maddon 13 compared to NCCA 13 just no comparison.

Meh I think a different company should look at picking it up competition is good.
  20. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    NCAA sells a ton of copies. Maybe not as many as madden, but they handle their own. Been a fan for years.