Greatest UF Head Coach

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MelBeachGator, Mar 7, 2014.

?

Greatest UF Head Coach

1. Steven Orr

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Billy the Kid

71 vote(s)
    81.6%
  1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,483
    Billy D. for me.

I know most will disagree, but Mary Wise should get (some) mention. I'm no VB fan but she has absolutely dominated the SEC. Yeah, I know she hasn't won it all. That's her only blip. Would be nice to see her get one. If anyone deserves it, it's her.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    Hands down - Billy D. Winning traditions, great character builder, and he stuck with UF.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    Billy Donovan without a doubt, given that's he's accomplished such great things at a perceived football school, had to overcome fan apathy and establish a loyal fan base by winning the right way in what has been reported to be sport with a very sleazy under belly (i.e. AAU shenanigans) and not compromising his values.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Ill post my response to explain my vote. I would love to vote for Steve since I grew up idolizing him as a kid, he built what Florida is today, he started the foundation after Florida went through sanctions, and built it to an empire. Including a championship, and a Heisman Trophy winner, multiple SEC Championships, and multiple All-Americans, and plus I'm a huge football fan, let's be honest here I only watch Gators basketball.......

That brings me to Billy Donovan, and why I voted for him. Before Donovan the basketball program was actually, nothing to say the least. Football ruled the school, and to come to Florida for basketball meant you really weren't going anywhere. He has turned an historically known "football" program into a "and basketball" program too. 2 National Titles, multiple SEC titles, multiple NBA stars, consecutive Elige Eights...... His resume speaks for itself, and to be honest he does not get the credit he deserves. A once prodigy is now the mentor sendings multiple assistants to head coaching gigs.

Before I go I will say this, anyone can go take the head coaching job at Duke, Syracuse, North Carolina, Kentucky, or Michigan State... Etc.... And succeed.... Recruits go there because of the name, and brand...Not one of those coaches could of came into Florida, and did any better of a job than Donovan. He sells to 4-5 star recruits regularly, and sells them as playing as a team and not for themselves. He built a program that wasn't even there, and that is why Donovan deserves it.

GO GATORS!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    I went up to punch the button... my finger hovered over SOS... then over BD... then back to SOS.. to BD...

and I gave up.

I just can't rank one above the other. To me, it's a tie.

Both coaches took teams that couldn't attract the top talent and BUILT PLAYERS, made players better than they were, on the court or field, and off the court or field. From that, they built PROGRAMS that rose to the top.

Both won big-time games with overlooked players in many cases. Both had many signature wins.

And I am so, so, so very grateful for both of those men. Two great, great coaches.

Sorry, but for me, it's a TIE.

Go Gators!
  6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    I'd vote for Billy. If Spurs had stayed who knows what might have happened. Meyer will always be viewed as having success with other peoples efforts, whether accurate or not-he had a ton of talent to start with and yes Galen Hall left Spurs with some as well.

If you include the so called minor sports we have been blessed with some of the best.
    Reese has already been mentioned.
    Mary Wise has dominated SEC-hope we break through for an NC one year.
    Mike Holloway has quietly built a juggernaut in track.
    Brandi was a great tennis coach. Thornequist has won 2 NC's as well.
    Rhonda Fain could very well get a 2nd NC this year with no slowdown in sight.

Back to the major sports-Kruger was a great coach-just couldn't get the talent Billy does.
    Norm Sloan was always underrated IMO. The list is long and high quality.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigDgator

bigDgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    This ^^^^^

If you don't have a winning record against FSU, you cannot claim to be the top coach in the history of UF. I think Spurrier underachieved when he was here. You have the best team in the SEC 7 out of 12 years and win one natty? Too much golf and not enough recruiting. 5-8-1 against Bowden is does not cut it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. swangator

swangator Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    This. Very well said. Billy Donovan is the single greatest coach in the history of the University. What Spurrier did (and I was a student when SOS was coach and graduated May of '97 just a few months after we won the title; Spurrier was the absolute MAN -- the Head Gator -- our leader) was nothing short of making the University of Florida relevant. He's the most important Gator of all time (after factoring in his playing days as well). But Billy is the best coach of all time. He has represented the University in such a class manner, has been instrumental in turning kids lives around, has done so much for the community of Gainesville, has built an elite basketball program out of virtually nothing. He is our Pat Summit, Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski … he's our Bobby Bowden. There are those that will argue, but if Bobby Bowden had left FSU after a decade and gone to Alabama -- or if Mike Krzyzweski had gone to Kentucky after a decade or Pat Summit had gone to Connecticut after a decade or if Dean Smith had left for UCLA after a decade -- than you wouldn't have The Summit or Coach K Court or Bobby Bowden Field or The Dean Smith Center. Spurrier is a legendary Gator and a great Gator coach, but I firmly believe he sacrificed legendary coach when he packed his bags and went to another school. The field will never be named for him nor should it. South Carolina will probably name their field after him, especially if he wins an SEC title there. The Donovan Dome will be named after the legendary basketball coach Billy Donovan. The man who was a Gator his entire career, the man who never walked away, who practiced what he preached, who never compromised his own integrity to land a 5-star. The man who built a dynasty at a school which had zero tradition, something his mentor Pitino never had the guts to try. The man who didn't take the easy way like Calapari and Roy Williams but instead chose the road less traveled like Krzyzweski and forged his own story, his own program, his own legend.

There is no coach who I am more proud to have represent us -- ever -- than Billy Donovan. And it's not even close.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    However...

52-20 in the ONE that counted.
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Absolutely Mary Wise should be in the conversation.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Spurrier. Football is harder to coach than basketball. Basketball is much less of a team game, especially if the refs affect the outcome as they so often do. I'm not convinced Donovan is still here if Spurrier wasn't. Spurrier had a major influence on Donovan's early years. Plus the SEC stinks at basketball most years.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    SOS won SEC titles with three different QBs. Without Tim Tebow Burpin' Urban was left with nothing but esophogeal spasms. Tim Tebow wasn't a product of Urban's system. Urban recruited and rode two great players and couldn't close the deal without Harvin.
  13. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +686
    Donovan is the best!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sec20row36seat18

sec20row36seat18 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    You're delusional.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    Why do so many people on GC slight Chris Leak? Leak was the quarterback for the first national championship. Tebow contributed that year along with many others, but Leak was the leader. Tim's greatness is not diminished by that.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,421
    Another poster said it best earlier: Spurrier is the most important Gator coach of all time...but Donovan is the best (in the big sports at least). His explanation was spot-on too: had Spurrier stayed, then perhaps this vote is much different--but when Donovan leaves, he'll have the floor named after him; I don't think we can say that would ever apply to Spurrier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    At that point and time FSU was in a league of their own, along with UF. I think for how well of a coach Bowden was, and how great of a recruiter he was Spurrier is lucky to have 5 wins against him, and the most important one in the national championship, which in my mind totally overrides a 5-8-1 record.
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    And one of the top 3 priorities for our AD should be insuring that he retires a Gator. I agree with this post completely and would only add that BD may very well be the last of his kind in any sport. Given the electrocardiogram that has been our football program, BD represents something that should be truly cherished by UF fans.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    You cannot compare coaches from different sports. SOS and Billy D are the best we'ver ever had here at Florida because they dominated in their sport. However,SOS chose to leave on his own but did it at an awkward time.Billy thouhtg of leaving but after much thought decided to stay. Urban isn't evn in the mix because he was so deceitful and just plain liedabout his reason for leaving. He'll leave tosu too when Notre Dames comes calling (and they will). He builds team but has never proven he has staying power or loyalty to anyone but himself. Florida has had many great coaches but in spotrts other than football and basketball.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. wulimaster

wulimaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I loved Spurrier. Loved loved loved him. Turned the program around, made it elite, gave it the momentum to stay elite long after he left. Harder to get that done in my opinion than to take over an already elite program and keep it going (but I've never been in either situation, obviously, so my opinion is suspect here). He was a character too. Fun to watch. Gave us all pride in the program and our alma mater.

That said, we were already a football school when he took over with all the energy and passion that comes with it.

Billy, on the other hand, built the basketball program from nothingness. I know we had that Final Four appearance in 94. Kruger was a good coach. And before him we made some noise in the 80s. But those were blips on an otherwise empty screen and he made UF elite from obscurity and apathy. Billy gets my vote.
    • Agree Agree x 2