Great Jo article on his foundation's work

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by your_perfect_enemy, Jul 28, 2014.

1. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +450
    I grew up in Chicago.

I have some questions.

"The South Side is close. This is where I live."

Does Jo actually live on the South Side? I did. I would be surprised if he has a South Side address. Just south of Madison on the lake doesn't count. I lived in Roseland. Google that to see what it is like. Ain't pretty.

Another thing is how was this run? Back in the day (late 1960's) "West Side" was 3-on-3 "make it/take it". Some of us on the South Side would play that if someone insisted, but usually it was 3-on-3 and turn the ball over after a made basket and win by 2. The basketball traditions were very different on the West Side and the South Side. Also notice there is no North side as they were all Cubs fans and clueless about actually playing hoops.

5-on-5 never happened. There was too many people wanting to play on the available courts for a full-court game to take place.

If they are playing on wood floors with nets then it is a game I was not that familiar with back then. The best baskets we had were hung with chain nets and you had to muscle your way onto those outdoor courts. Most rims were bare.

Cool that Jo is liking Chicago. I miss it sometimes.
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,298
    Jo was living way up on the north side near the Forest Preserve for the first several years he was with the Bulls. Now that they're practicing in the west loop, he may have moved to the south side, but more likely the near south side, maybe University Village or Pilsen. But who knows? He grew up in Hell's Kitchen. He's going to live wherever he's comfortable.
  4. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +450
    Hyde Park? South Shore? Beverly?

Or "The Gap" (East of Michigan Ave between 31st and 35th)? When I was a student at IIT in the early 1970's that was the highest crime rate area in the city. We were told not to go there, but I often walked to the lake shore on 31st without any incident.

I understand that it has gone through gentrification mostly by upwardly mobile young (at the time it happened) urban blacks a few years later. There were some awesome properties around there. I am thinking that Jo is too young for that "hood" now. How times have changed.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,298
    Hyde Park is nice, but still kind of isolated. It's also very much centered on the university, so there's a very intellectual sort of snobbery there. There are some interesting books stores and a few restaurants, but no clubs to speak of. The student population there consists of young people walking around looking at the ground or reading a textbook or tablet. There's a reason their motto is "Where fun goes to die."

Don't know anything about the South Shore, but it doesn't look promising from what little I've seen.

Beverly is hot now among African American professionals, but mostly the family types. Don't see Jo living that far south.

My son is a student at IIT now. He won't even cross 35th street at State. We were sitting in the Jimmy John's there about a year ago and I saw three police chases go by in the time it takes to eat a sub and finish a soda. One of them was on foot. The guy got tackled on the IIT side of 35th.

The South Loop is nice and has finally turned into a real community now that an entire generation has passed since it was first developed. It just seems a bit tame for Jo.

Pilsen is super hot right now and still in transition.

Jo is such a character, it's hard to say where he fits in Chicago. I'd have figured him for River West/Ukranian Village in a big loft type structure with room for a collection of African masks, his mom's sculptures and stuff like that. Seems like I read that he collects spears or swords.
  6. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,298
    I think what he's saying is that Chicago is his home, not necessarily the south side. He may still live in the same house he bought when he first moved to town. The way it was described, it was within the city limits, but his back yard bordered on the forest preserve. It sounded like Forest Glenn or someplace close to there. That would make sense because it's close to the freeway.

Being a Chicagoan and a Gator, I couldn't be prouder of Jo. As the late Charlie Pell once said, describing someone else, "He's got a heart as big as a wash tub."
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,298
    Chicago misses you. It's become a great Gator town. You should come up and join us to watch a football or basketball game.
  8. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +450
    When I was at IIT in the early 1970's south of 35th was the Robert Taylor Homes. I think that it can't be a tougher hood now.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,298
    No, but in the 80s and early nineties, during the crack wars, Robert Taylor Homes and Cabrini Green were the most violent places in the world. They tore down RTH and most of Cabrini, built town home like communities all over the city to replace them, but that mostly just dispersed the most violent element and made it harder to track and contain them. Englewood and the West Side are the most dangerous areas now, but it's still pretty crazy right around IIT. Gets a little better to the north, but there's nothing there until you get to Cermack.

I live about a mile west of Austin. We didn't hear much gunfire this summer, but only because of the cicadas. In reality, it's not nearly as violent here as it was in the seventies and eighties. Chicago isn't even in the top ten. We just get really crazy violent weekends and a lot more kids get shot here. Somebody should teach these stupid gang bangers how to aim a hand gun. It would be great if they stopped shooting altogether, but if they actually hit who they were aiming at, there might not be any of them left.
  10. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +450
    Lol.

My parents moved out to the ex-urbs in the early 1970's from North Roseland. When I was there I would hear gun fire and wait for the sirens, but they never came. The shooters were hunters instead.