Great CW article with new quotes.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by alietigator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    I have to disagree. His debut was going to be the next game up regardless of the location. I also think it would have been less pressure on him to debut on the road. He'll be nervous, but less pressure on the road.
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,751
    It sounds like he has his priorities straight and has great character. That alone bodes well for him contributing this season because the only way to truly break in and make a difference is to buy-in to what the coaching staff has been doing and accept one's place in the rotation as it's available.
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    2-3 minutes a half is ridiculous. I understand not wanting to overhype. But that's Kurtz numbers..and god bless Kurtz but Walker IS still a hyped freshman for a reason....he's not a walk on with a great storyline. He's a first round projected player without a game of college basketball because of the natural gifts he possess though raw. Think WCS first season at UK. Comes in, can block shots, a few jams..that's what I'd expect Walker brings us.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    How long do you think bigs typically play in the rotation? Ideally, you don't want them at any more than four minutes a stretch if you can help it. A fourth big in the rotation isn't expected to get much more than that.

As for Cauley-Stein, he was essentially the second big in their rotation after Noel and he also got to play the entire season. Walker is coming in as the fourth big in a rotation that has been pretty well established with two senior starters and a combo post in DFS who is outscsoring and outrebounding the starters. Where will the minutes come from? DFS struggles immensely at the three and we would prefer playing Frazier there more if we can. Plus, we wanted to get Prather some minutes at the four, too. Unless you cut Young/Yeguete down to around 20 and DFS down to around 25, you aren't going to have more than 10-15 minutes available right now. Walker coming in nearly four months late hardly helps the situation.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. vk3000gt

vk3000gt Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Against 3 of our better impact players no less...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  6. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I think his numbers come with a new rotation that we will finally be able to use in going bigs. Like a Young-Walker-Finney-Prather-Wilbekin 1-3-1 or 2-3. Add in any foul trouble from Young or Yeg gives him more time. I think Yeg will lose about 2-3 minutes, Young about 2-3 cause he is near 26 right now and Donovan probably would like him around 24. Add in he'd take Kurtz minutes most likely there is plenty of room to give him minimum ten minutes a game without causing significant play time to any one player. I don't think Prather plays four much to be honest he's already to good at 3 and can play 2 as if not more easily than 4 I'd think because of his quickness and perimeter defensive abilities.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,672
    I would look for around 10 minutes to start with. That may increase due to a couple of things. His ability to pick up the schemes and work his way into the rotation by ability or foul trouble for the other big guys opening up more minutes by default.
  8. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I think he will get at least one technical for hanging on the rim....and it will be worth it :p
  9. vk3000gt

vk3000gt Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Wonder why he isn't playing Saturday at home... I figure the squad could use a rested body after the Thursday nite game..... At home, weekend, packed O'dome...
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    I think this is about right in terms of minutes. I think 10-12 at this stage, but I just don't see how he can get appreciably more unless we want up with Yeguete down to 16-18 and Young and DFS at around 22-24. Fans are expecting a Harvey-like contribution from Walker and I just don't see it happening at this late stage in the game.

Prather can barely execute our perimeter stuff at the three--how would he do so at the two? He can't shoot, space the floor as a spot up guy, score from the perimeter off the high ball screens, etc. He has actually been quite dynamic in the past at the four because of his decided athletic advantage over most bigs, as well as his ability to play at the front of the press. I doubt he gets many minutes there going forward precisely because we are going to have a minutes crunch, but he fits into our offense far better at the four than at the two (kind of like Noah since you can run some sets through him in the post) and I think Frazier is desperately needed at the three rather than DFS because of the floor spacing he can provide.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Twelve games aren't up yet.
  12. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    P
    Prather's value to this team is at the four. He is by light years our best scorer in the paint.
  13. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Strongly disagree. He's great at finishing over opposing 4s and 5s, but IMO most of his success has been taking smaller/weaker defenders at the 3 to the hole and finishing over or around the help defense. If you regularly match him up one on one in the post with a larger 4 I don't think he would be as successful. A few minutes a game, sure, but not with any frequency. DFS is a much better fit at the 4, especially given his ability to be that "stretch 4" that Billy loves so much. The slashing action to the hole is where Casey makes his biggest impact
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Remember how explosive he was at times last year from the four? If he could draw his man out on the perimeter, no four could stay in front of him. But I agree that this year most of his success has come at three. The great thing about him and DFS together is they are sort of interchangeable. Defensively, they are good in the press, they are great in the wings of the zone, they can defend 3s or 4s, and offensively DFS creates the space Prather needs to attack the rim, while Prather's penetration often draws help from that leads to open shots for DFS on ball rotation. Those two are a great combo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +968
    His best value is certainly the three but I was only thinking defensively wasn't even remotely thinking on the offensive side of the ball which he would struggle at two I agree.
  16. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    I was replying to bayou_gator's comment, 08.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    I think he was responding to me.
  18. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    But...but...you were responding to me! I am confused...its been a long day.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    One day you start wearing adult diapers, the next day you start losing your memory. This is 37.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    IF Chris understands what's happening on the court, I would take most of his minutes from Yeguete. Take the little bit of time from Kurtz, a couple from Young. I don't think any time needs to be taken from DFS or Prather. Yeguete has not been that same since he started having injuries and I think Chris can provide a lot more than Will.