Great class but...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator34654, Feb 5, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    Good list, and a few more...
    Fred Taylor
    Travis McGriff
    Travis Taylor
    Darrel Jackson
    Earnest Graham
    Ciatrick Fason
  2. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    OK, so I set out to prove you wrong with the facts. So I looked at the top 13 SEC wide receivers in 2013 (plus UF's top two this year - Patton and Dunbar) and looked at their recruiting rankings, size and speed. And I compared them to the same stats of the top 10 SEC recruited wideouts from 2010 (who would likely be seniors or juniors in 2013).

The data proved me wrong.

Here's how the data broke down:

2013 top receivers (15)
    Average: 58 receptions, 910 yards, 7 TDs; 3.3 stars; #77 average ranking (and that doesn't include the four who were unranked)

2010 top 10 SEC WR recruits (8 still playing in 2013)
    Average: 22 receptions, 303 yards, 2 TDs; 4.3 stars; #15.3 average ranking
    (Of course, those numbers are skewed by the two guys who were already drafted by NFL teams)

So I have to admit that, based on recent history, there's every much as much chance, and maybe moreso, that the WRs we have can be All-SEC caliber than the top 10 receiving recruits who just signed LOIs. I sincerely hope that's the case.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    If anyone's wondering who the top 10 of 2010 were:

Player-Team-Outcome-Stars/ Rank/ Size/ Speed
    Da'Rick Rogers; Tennessee; Transferred to Tennessee Tech; Drafted by Colts; 5*; #4, 6-2, 197, 4.34
    Trovon Reed; Auburn; 9 rec., 98 yards in 2013; moving to DB in 2014; 5*; #7; 5-11, 173, 4.49
    Chris Dunkley; Florida; Transferred to USF; 7 rec., 87 yards in 2013; 5*; #8; 5-11, 169, 4.43
    Justin Hunter; Tennessee; All-SEC in 2012; Drafted by Titans; 4*; #11; 6-4, 185, 4.49
    DeAndrew White; Alabama; 32 rec., 534 yards, 4 TDs in 2013; 4*; #13; 6-0, 170, 4.4
    Kadron Boone; LSU; 7 rec., 129 yards in 2013; 4*; #15; 6-1, 195, 4.5
    Marcus Lucas; Missouri; 58 rec., 692 yards yards, 3 TDs in 2013; 4*; #16; 6-4, 185, 4.5
    Matt Milton; Tennessee; Transferred to Louisville; 1 rec., 6 yards in 2013; 4*; #17; 6-6, 208, 4.5
    Vincent Sanders; Mississippi; 21 rec., 325 yards, 1 TD in 2013; 4*; #20; 6-3, 180, 4.6
    Solomon Patton; Florida; 44 rec., 556 yards, 6 TDs in 2013; 4*; #26; 5-9, 167, 4.4
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    Thanks for doing that research, cap.

While those stats are definitely eye opening, I'm not expecting that our guys are better than most five stars. Just looking at video, I don't see Lane (specifically) as being better than our guys, except for having a length advantage. He is not the "explosive" athlete that people are looking for in this class, so we didn't miss from that perspective. In fact, JC Jackson does look like the explosive receiver we're looking for, if we use him on that side of the ball.

And Cook is definitely that explosive athlete, but will be interesting to see how well he does. A lot of times it seems these guys with a lot of publicized attitude and drama end up bouncing schools and disappearing, never contributing anything of note in college, and probably causing locker room problems along the way.

And fwiw, I really wanted Lauderdale and McKenzie. Both guys are gonna be real good IMO. Sucks that McKenzie went to the enemy without even a visit - almost like he really wanted to get at us.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    I still think it's possible he didn't have a commitable offer from us. Something was definitely going on with him though. You don't go that wishy washy at the last minute (adding VT last minute and committing to UGA which wasnt even a finalist) without there being more to the story. This wasn't just simply a case of him wanting to go out of state with his late visit to UF and strong interest in us.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    The most important position to have a elite player at? QB.

And we just signed 2. 1 the parade all american and record setter and the other the best QB in the state of fla and possibly best offensive threat in the state.

But look at it like this. On Rivals a 5 star is rated at 6.1. Treon harris and will grier are both rated a 6.0. The highest 4 * there is and a .10 of a point from having 2 5* qb#1 in this class for our future not to mention one we just snatched from our rival who was expected to be Winston's heir to the throne. That's worth much more than either lane or cook IMO.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    I have no idea. But he looks like a player to me and a great fit in this offense. It's a shame if he really wanted to be here and we screwed that up.
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    That's mighty humble of you to come back and admit that you yourself found it wasn't what you had said origunally. Hats off to you sir. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +540
    I had to go and absorb the results and I have to say the OL prospects look a lot better than they did before I posted. Weird not many outlets said much about our needs getting fulfilled. It seems if you got 6 5-stars, it's a great class even though you might not need any of them or left glaring holes elsewhere. The only downside is no decent receivers. It seems we haven't recruited well in that area since Meyer.
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +540
    I wonder if maybe we should stick with the ground-n-pound. Everyone else in the league is looking at changing their defensive philosophy in light of the spread offenses.
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +998
    Agree and all. But QBs that play "elite" in college have a good OL(protection), RBs(we have), and at least one serious threat at WR. I hope it comes together in the next season or two.
  12. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
    Dude, if you've been around for long you know that top recruiting classes have never been our forte. And yet it took rapist led SOW until now to come close to us when they almost always out recruit us.... This doesn't worry me...
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    Exactly, which we got good ol in this class. But you build around your qb, and the type of qb you have will dictate the type of lineman you get. Meyer use to get the smaller - ish type who could move and pull. They had to be able to get out in front of a running qb etc.
    Look at it like this. Some of the lineman on fsu this year were there last year, but this year had a Heisman qb that made the difference. Hopefully we just got 2 that can make a difference for us for years to come.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    He could have been here if he chose so, but Georgia offered late and Sony Michel and Mckensie are teammates and best friends and had wanted to play together but Georgia never gave McKenzie a offer till the night of....
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +998
    This to me is one of the casualties of our 4-8 season.
  16. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,019

I doubt this, but the roster in General is good, not great. We are still a few big ones an older qb, and an explosive away from being great
  17. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    The ol, and keeping Jeff healthy are the two most important keys for gators next year without a doubt. 9 wins if we do both these things.
  18. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    How was justin hunter ranked the 11th best out of high school?! The guy was unstoppable before his injury
  19. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Fred Taylor had 873 yds. And 8 tds as a freshman. Not too shabby IMO.
  20. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    We keep hearing how defenses are adjusting to the spread, but neither of the two finalists this year were ground-pounders. And even Bama opened things up a bit.