Great class but...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator34654, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    The point is simple and I thought obvious: Neither of us have an idea if any of the listed players save one are or ever will become "playmakers," and considering the evidence on the ones that didn't see the field for reasons other than injury the coaches obviously would have used them if they had any notion that they could help at all. The situation on O last season was desperate. For all we know these guys could continue to sit at the end of the bench, just as easily as they could become playmakers on the field.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    Um I don't care if we landed the best QB in history of football if we don't build the team around him. He's too small to run away on every play because the oline can't protect. Alabama once again cleaned the recruiting rankings landing almost the best at every position. I was hoping we would land 4 or 5 good linemen and at least 1 stud receiver for Driskel/Grier to throw to.
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    You must not follow recruiting closely or know UF met their needs on both lines of scrimmage. Look at all the players that signed with them so they now have depth to build off. Muschamp met all his teams' needs in this class and Roper targeted QB Harris first and got him. Russell Wilson is the same height as Harris and so is Drew Brees and I'd say they've been pretty successful in the NFL.

You don't know Roper's plan but he used 2 QB's at Duke. Harris is an excellent athlete that could probably play several different positions. Remember how Trey Burton use to come in at times...well the main difference is we now have Harris who can roll out and throw well, something Burton could not do. Also, UF landed a couple more good receivers and don't forget Fullwood and Robinson from last year's class. Florida's new offense will give defenses a lot more to think about having a duel-threat QB in Harris and a new OC.

Relax, the future is bright. Last year was more of an anomaly with too many injuries and the offensive scheme will be different with Roper on board.

Gators sign 6 offensive linemen and 5 defensive linemen

http://recruits.gatorsports.com/class/2014/
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. unfgator

unfgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Wow. He hits like Elam
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,572
    Well, effort in training can help a guy improve his speed and agility. Louis Murphy and Travis McGriff are two guys who got much faster at UF than when they came out of HS.

But to your point on speed, I still don't get anyone bemoaning the loss of Lane, as compared to Worton and Sousa... they are just as fast and much more accomplished. He is longer. That's his only advantage as far as I can tell. And if we put JC on offense, he is much more explosive and faster than Lane.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,572
    The situation on offense was desperate because we couldn't run block or protect... largely because of several OL juries... in addition to losing our top two QBs, top RB, and most explosive WR / KR.

Adding true frosh skill players to the mix when we couldn't run block or protect wasn't going to help much.

Hopefully, we'll field a functional OL, and give our skill position players a chance ths season.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,992
    Couldn't the same thing be said about any "playmaker" we would have signed this class whether it was adoree, McKenzie, or even Bo. None of them have proven anything more than the guys who redshirted for us last year. Why people harp because we didn't get a "perceived" playmaker when those guys have not been playmakers at this level either is beyond me.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    This class was far better than a 4-8 season deserved, proving once again that Muschamp and crew are recruiters par excellance.

Quite simply, games are won in the trenches. The reason Auburn was successful this season, with the SEC's 11th best defense (pathetic), was that they recruited stellar offensive linemen for a couple of years. All teams have stellar backs, they are literally a dime a dozen, it is the quality linemen, both offensive and defensive that are rare, simply because the required combination of size, mobility and agility required to be a Division I lineman is quire rare. There are a lot of big, slow, clumsy people, but few good ones.

The Oline groups is both excellent and deep. And, other than transfers, this is the first time such a phenomenon has occurred during Muschamps reign.

The Dline is pretty good also, especially following last year's amazing class, however a rush DE would have been a good addition.

LB was obviously worthless - and using a 3-4, you need a lot of LBs. This was a hole in the class, rationalized by last year's excellent but almost totally destroyed by injury group.

WR - pretty mediocre, but last year's group was excellent.

DB - once again, and as usual under Muschamp, excellent to outstanding.

QB - couldn't really ask for more. The addition of Harris, who could play WR, but likely won't in Roper's system, was both needed and excellent.

RB - good - this kid goes away from historic Muschamp methods, and fits Meyer's more. For me, this signals a possible change of perspective regarding offense, which has been horribly lacking during Muschamp's 3 years. I really think that Foley was responsible and that perhaps Muschamp may change.

No recruiting class is ever complete, either on paper or in reality. One thing Muschamp usually does is to find and adequate number of quality athletes for almost every position, except, until this year, in the OLine.

Like I said, far, far better than one should expect given the worst football season since 1933 that included the first lost to Vandy in Gainesville since 1945. The 1933 reference was because the last time a Gator basketball team lost fewer or an equal number of games as the football team, was 1933 and this year's Gator basketball team looks to lose no more than 5 or perhaps 6 games total. Although Charlie Pell's original team lost 10 games, the pre-Donovan basketball Gators saw only 5 seasons with 20 or more wins.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Very well said and my exact sentiments. For 2015, the #1 WR, #1 DB and #1 DE are all from FL. 2015 is a huge year for in state talent. IMO If Muschamp is unable to land a huge in state class next season, we will never be a major player on a national level under him. Losing in state players is a double whammy because 9 times out of 10 when they don't pick UF they pick one of our major rivals (FSU, UGA, LSU, SouthCar, Bama).
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,733
    O-LINE
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,572
    Good thoughts. Just a couple of observations - first is that we intentionally didn't recruit LBs, because of the numbers and quality we already have on campus. We wanted to fill other needs.

Next is that this could turn out to be a productive WR group even without the big star ratings. They aren't burners, but they are guys with good size, who run very good routes, are reasonably quick out of breaks, and catch the ball well, including making plays on balls against defenders. They were highly productive, proven play makers on their teams. We haven't really had a lot of that lately.

Finally, if we put JC on offense, he is an explosive player. I'd like to see him there, personally. Plus, these guys follow a very strong WR class in 2013, so they should not have to step in immediately - they can develop.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    It absolutely does apply as you suggest. One of the guys we signed might be the next Percy or Emmitt, but they might also become the next Steve Shipp or Mike Blakely.

Unfortunately recruiting has a lot to do with perceptions: Recruits, of which every one is sure he is NFL material waiting to be molded, who see the Defensive players that Gators are putting in the NFL, and see the lack of UF Offensive players going to the NFL....thus you see stellar Defensive recruiting classes stacked on top of one another to go along with poor to above average Offensive recruiting classes.

It also has to do with the perception of fans and media. Some perceive that "Oh wow, that UF got anybody after the trainwreck of '13 is an incredible feat." Others say well having to get a flip from Vandy and trading down two 3 stars for two 5 stars with the neighboring rival and still not being able to fill out all the avail scholarships when other schools are signing 33 is not awe inspiring. Some will perceive that being top-ten is an awesome result in any year, others will think well we are top-ten but unfortunately still behind 5 of our conference counterparts and our up the street annual rival.

But the cards have been dealt, now we will see who has the best hand in 2-3 years (and who plays the best poker ;))
  13. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    Here's my take. We're #6 with four SEC teams ahead of us and one hated rival. Most of the flips from F$U were players marginalized by the players they flipped from us with the huge exception of Harris. We don't know how good our existing players are on offense, because we've never properly utilized them. I feel we have studs on offense already on the roster; we will definitely find out this fall.
  14. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +199
    Thanks for pointing out the Rivals 100. Yeah we didn't get but 1 of the 12 kids in Florida, but what you failed to mention is that we did get 5 of the top 100 and those Seminoles only got 4 and those Canes 2 ....plus you also failed to point out that 6 of the 12...that's half.....did not commit to in state schools, so that is a failure on all the state schools part, not just UF. Now that I look at the whole picture, I am very pleased with this class.....thanks goodness Will had enough foresight to go to places like Davidson NC, Brooklyn, Washington DC and New Orleans....

The one guy I think was highly underated and is better than Lane and Rudolph in my opinion is Tavaris Scott.....all the schools blew this one. I think if I had to compare him to someone it would be Stephon Diggs, he will be a good one at Clemson.

15. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Everyone knows that the OLine was unmitigated, injury-riddled disaster last year, but if that was the ONLY reason that none of the Frosh played much and only one caught a few passes, then why did they play KT?

The point is that he played because he could contribute. Obviously the coaches thought none of the others were ready to do so. So at this point none of us really know if we have any real playmakers on the O (other than KT). None of us can go to watch practice and obviously the reports we heard from the media (who also can't attend practice) were inaccurate regarding Robinson being an immediate impact player. We will find out in the next season or two what we have, however its premature to say that the playmakers are already here when we haven't seen it on the field of play.

Its wonderful that the Coaches finally addressed the woeful OL recruiting in the last two recruiting cycles. They got some big bodies and a couple of highly thought of players, but they are at a position that takes the longest to develop in Football....lets just hope we got a couple of Reggie Green's or Jason Odom's in these two groups because guys that can come in and play on the OL as frosh and hold their own are rare as hen's teeth.
  16. Tebowism0823

Ratings Received:
    +3,733
    Well it's easier to hand the ball off with no time then it is to pass it. KT also played because of injuries as well. I'm not arguing that talent is needed to be successful, I just think we have it we just need some uglies up front and looks like we got them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    I'm happy that you think that we already have the skill position talent we need. I'm more of a show-me kind of guy that needs to see it first to believe it.

It does seem however, that truly elite skill position players like Harvin, Tebow, Smith, Anthony, etc. like cream rise to top very quickly. Heck we've had some on D in WM's tenure (Roberson, Hargreaves). I'm not saying that solid and even excellent playmakers can't be developed, because obviously they can and getting solid complementary players is critical to a good team, but elite immediate impact guys are generally found on the field by the first few games of their college career. We haven't had one of those on O in a while.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,572
    Looks to me like you keep misrepresenting our "trade" with UFS. We won that trade 4 to 2, possibly 4 to 1.

We took (and held) JC Jackson - 4* and an explosive athlete, Treon Harris - 4* another explosive athlete and one of the top DT QBs in the country, Sousa and Worton - two very high 3* (Worton is 4* on 247) WRs.

They got two 5*s - Cook and Lane. Cook is an explosive, legit 5* back. Definitely a loss. Lane is not a 5* WR IMO and is certainly not an "explosive play maker" if that's what you're looking for. No more so than Sousa and Worton, and he was not anywhere near the same ballpark in productivity nor in number of big plays as them... and hasn't qualified yet.

Too bad we lost Cook's talent (who needs the attitude?), but overall, we came out well ahead on that "trade". And we pulled Broward POY / All State Powell from Miami for RB. He's not as big as Cook, but is definitely a big time play maker in space and should fit the offense well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I'd say Jordan Reed was elite. And I guess he had a pretty immediate impact as a redshirt freshman but you are saying true freshman, I think?
    But here are some guys (just offense) who did not do anything as true freshmen but I think one would make the arguement that they were elite players.
    Ernie Mills
    Errict Rhett
    Willie Jackson
    Chris Doering
    Jacquez Green
    Jabar Gaffney
    Louis Murphy
    Riely Cooper
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Ratings Received:
    +3,733
    I agree we haven't really seen those playmakers but it's hard to know what we really have when the line doesn't block; that's why this class was crucial. The players you mentioned above wouldn't have done anything without a decent line.