Great class but...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator34654, Feb 5, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491 / 68 / -18
    Let me preface, anytime you can have a top 10 class it's special. That is why I said great and not good. We got a lot of great players and it still comes back to coaching them up and execution.

Now, the but: I expected we would get the recruits we got today but like most of you was hoping for a few more. I don't know of a recent hc at uf that didn't recruit well especially from zook on. Being a coach at uf that should be a given especially with living in a talent rich area and our recent history of 20 years of mostly great football. The two big positives of hiring wm was his knowledge and ability to coach D and recruiting. I also know that recruiting is all about relationships and needs (players wanting to play early). With our poor record, we have lots of needs. Maybe, I'm just expressing my disappointment (actually I am and it just may be therapy) but I was thinking we could/would do better. Once again, we trail sow. Yes we got 2 new recruits today but also missed more. I don't even know if we filled all available spots we have available. Guys, i'm just venting and I know that, when it comes to uf I'm always wanting more. I will say this, we've had I think top 10 recruiting for the past 3 years which means it needs to be seen on the field.

We have talent on this squad, now its time to coach em up. Go gators
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594 / 18 / -6
    This lame thread gets posted every year.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    We always seem to strike out on the big names on NSD. Adoree, Prince, Carter. It was really nice flipping Harris, but that was expected. I was hoping for a top five class but it's still a pretty good class. At least we didnt lose any commits.
  4. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    It's a great class, but we've got to bring in more. Plain and simple. If this were the Pac 12, five/six years ago, with a cool little scheme guided by a brilliant mind like Chip Kelly, this class would be more than good enough. You can win championships in leagues like the Pac 12, Big 12, etc...with what we just brought in. Unfortunately this is the SEC, and anybody who watched ESPN today knows what teams around the league did. Everybody is bringing in a monster haul. And Florida struggled to get a lot of the best players from its own state, and that's not something to overlook; I don't care what the people say.

There is nothing wrong with anything you just said. Florida didn't win the state of Florida this year. We failed to bring in an immediate, can't-miss playmaker who can rock out from day one, and we flat-out got beaten out down the stretch on some prospects we really needed. You can't spin losing an elite OT around by saying, "Yeah, but we got Will Grier!"

But there is a lot of potential in this group. There is a lot to be excited about.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +717 / 64 / -40
    Once Roper's offense gets rolling our recruiting pitch will be "if we can do this with those players think about what we can do with you here."
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 15 / -1
    Always remember...
    It is about two things...

1. Quality of recruits.
    2. And a coaching staff that has the ability to jell together, and then coach those high level recruits to perform on the field.

Last year...we were missing #2. Terribly... astoundingly so.
    Roper did MORE with 2* and 3* players at Duke...than we did with all of our 4* and 5* players last year.
    And... that is a fact.
    I predict a whole new look with Florida Football this fall.
    How many bowls has Duke ever gone to... in the last 20 years???
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329 / 58 / -14
    ^^^^ Dude, I believe in Muschamp. I also have started to really like the Roper hire, after initially being skeptical about it. These kids want to see an offense that cooks, and we've got to put that on the field.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +212 / 15 / -1
    I don't agree that this is a lame thread. It's a valid point that we can't deliver on offense and haven't for a number of years. Sure, we'll get one, maybe two, solid offensive players. But we never get any across-the-board talent that will change the landscape of the offense. Last year we had some good RBs and WRs. But the O-line class was weak. This year, we have three four-star offensive players - a QB and two O-linemen. But zero game-changing RBs, WRs or TEs.

Consider this:
    10 defensive recruits, including one 5-star and six 4-stars. Average national ranking of 21, and average star ranking of 3.8.
    14 offensive recruits, including zero 5-stars and three 4-stars. Average national ranking of 56, and average star ranking of 3.2.

I've said it all along - this is a tale of two classes, not one. Our defensive class is stellar. Our offensive class is merely average. Roper may be able to turn average talent into an above average offense. We need to hope and pray that he can, because that's the job that he has in front of him.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204 / 54 / -35
    Exactly. If any of those signing day wishes were Florida kids and signed with the out of state schools, then it would be more of a story.

No "buts" to this class.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 72 / -15
    "But" nothing. You need to explore the stories of some of these kids we signed. Kids like Worton, who could've gone to the National Champion Seminoles. Treon, who was probably under a lot of heat to go to Da U. Willis, who comes from a state where every half-decent recruit goes to LSU. A kid like Mike, who it sounds to me really wanted to be a Gator but didn't have a committable offer. Once he got one, he jumped at the chance to be a Gator.
    These are the kids we want. No more Adrian Coxsons who show up for a semester and miss home. No starry eyed kids from Cali who toy with us only to stay in their back yard. We need kids that want to be Gators, and that's what we've got.
    I hear about these talented players who recognized the gift they were being given and jumped at the chance. These are the players that we will win and lose by. Let's start getting behind them. Welcome to the Gator Nation, boys.
    I've said it before, I want to run Muschamp outta town for many reasons, but recruiting is not one of them. Now, if he can't produce with this talent, we need to figure out if another coach gives them a better chance to succeed.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,742 / 84 / -24
    Evaluation of HS players and projecting how quickly and to what extent they'll succeed at the college level is difficult, but you and I see a lot of players the same way I think.

I don't completely disagree with you on this class and would have loved to have McKenzie or Adoree, but no go. So be it.

But I think Treon, Powell, and JC (if we put him on offense) are all capable of making an impact next season as play makers with big play ability. And we have guys on the team already - D-Rob, Bailey and Debose. Maybe Jones, Ajagbe and Goolsby in H-Back type roles. Plus KT, Lane, Herndon and Brown at RB.

Roper has a lot of pieces with a mix of speed, size and skills he can work with - has to be a lot more than he had at Duke. Not sure how he'll fit them together, but I think there is plenty of talent there for him to put an effective offense on the field, with big play capability.
    • Like Like x 6
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +717 / 64 / -40
    Michigan State
  13. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,157 / 44 / -9
    Holy cow! I can't believe I'm reading that some fans are disappointed. Are you kidding me? We get arguably the best QB class in the nation...not 1 but 2 studs.

We meet our needs in other positions yet because we don't get Carter, Jackson, or Prince, it's suddenly not good enough?
    What about Muschamp getting all the other great players including all the flips to sign prior to today. Give the coaches credit for the other days getting commitments if you're going to judge the class on what they didn't get today. You can't have it both ways.

A top 6 class as well. I'll take it any day of the week coming off a 4-8 record. There is no fail in this 2014 recruiting class period. I can't believe they did so well.
    • Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +179 / 15 / -2
    We honestly don't need superstar playmakers to win and compete for a NC. Please look at Baylor and Indiana (not that Indiana can compete, but I would have taken their offense last year with our defense) . Baylor # 1 offense last year, Indiana # 9 even ahead of Auburn, Georgia, Clemson in total offense. Now look at their last 4 recruiting classes.......
    Baylor # 51, # 52, #30, #26
    Indiana #59, #58, # 53, #49

Devoid of 5 star wonder boys. A offensive mind can make stars out of the starless.......Kurt Roper is a 5-star OC and he will deliver....even without Adoree, Diggs, Algohor, Prince and so on......I know that is hard to believe, but it will happen.

Roper has the tools to put up a top 10 offense........
    Grier, Harris, Worton, Dunbar, Fulwood, Powell, Lane, Taylor, Bailey, DeRob, Jones, Sousa.....and a nasty OLine.....
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396 / 16 / -5
    Really amazing class considering our 4-8 record. Props to Muschamp and staff on not only salvaging the class, but really going after and getting guys like Holley and Tabor. The replacements weren't too shabby either...Powell for Cook and Worton for Lane.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. wulimaster

wulimaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +56 / 4 / -1
    I'm not sure why reasonable person would have a gripe coming off such a poor season.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,257 / 93 / -56
    Roper has to be giddy right now with what he has to work with compared to Dookie

A #6 class that included some BIG flips, one of witch was stealing a top QB from FSU, is beyond awesome to me.

Losing Harris hurts more than fsu fans will admit imo
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +699 / 38 / -4
    I for one would have liked to have gotten Adoree, probably above all of the other possibilities that remained today. It really would have been a nice get. So I can see where some posters are coming from in terms of not landing one of Jackson, Prince or Carter today. I mean, they are the cream-of-the-crop type players that we were in the running for. As a Gator football lover, it would be totally dishonest if I said I wasn't disappointed in not grabbing one or two or all three of those guys.
    That being said, we were 4-8 last year and lost to Georgia Southern. This was a masterful job of recruiting. This may have been the best recruiting job in the country this year. The product we put on the field was garbage this season and to be able to garner a top 10 class following what happened on the field this fall, nothing short of brilliant.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. wulimaster

wulimaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +56 / 4 / -1
    Totally agree. This staff got these kids to believe in them and the program. After the '13 Dumpster Fire to instill that sort of article of faith approaches Scientology levels of recruiting. lol
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173 / 23 / -4
    Why sugar coat it? It's not a great class, it's a good class. We again failed to close strong. We again got our clock cleaned instate by our rivals. We again mostly cleaned up on defense even though we have gaping holes on offense. We again failed to hold on to previously committed studs. Yes, it's a good class, but compared to the classes that actually won us championships, I don't know how anybody can call this a great class.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1