Grantland's Mark Titus SEC preview

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Nov 6, 2013.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +960
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Fun article with a good amount of info.
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    "Then add, 'Except Rick Barnes' and laugh maniacally until you start coughing up blood."

Heh.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    I'm surprised you dont' see more articles (relatively unimportant types like previews) go heavy on the humor. It certainly made this one stand apart from the what seems like dozens of others. He seemed fairly informed and up to date also.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,072
    I don't get the argument that Young needs to turn into Ben Wallace. They aren't even remotely similar and never will be, nor does Young have to be that kind of a player. He isn't a natural shotblocker or rebounder, but he is a great post help defender and pick and roll player. Those two things are worth their weight in gold in the NBA. Granted, they won't make you a much money or put you at the top of the draft, but they will keep you around the league for awhile.
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    I suspect for a lot of people the Wallace-Young comparisons (which I've seen before) are as simple as "relatively under-sized big men+little offensive game+ripped=Ben Wallace." With so many teams, it's hard to get a truly comprehensive sense of each player, and so most national analysts have to paint in broad strokes as opposed to detail work.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Rem, I see what you are saying, and agree wholeheartedly. He did appear to have a pretty good handle on things and his point about 8 of the top 12 Freshmen going to Kentucky, Florida or LSU and 20 of the top 81 to SEC schools is relevant. Usually that is a "football" not a "basketball" thing for the SEC.

He had some great statements, I selected a few that I thought were simply great:

Debates about college basketball during the preseason are more meaningless than the clause in Charlie Weis's contract that gives him a bonus if Kansas wins a football national championship.

I remember sitting courtside when Florida played at Ohio State in November 2011 and feeling uncomfortable that I was so close to Young. He's so overwhelmingly strong that you have to come up with new ways to describe his physique. His muscles have muscles. Muscles come out of his hair follicles and flow through his veins. He exhales muscles instead of carbon dioxide. That sort of thing.

I Hate Marshall Henderson in the same way I hate Joffrey on Game of Thrones

And the Stopper:

"You know, Billy Donovan doesn't get enough credit for having the best basketballprogram at a football school ever. I mean, there really isn't even another coach who comes close to taking that title from him."

(For bonus points, add "Well, except for Rick Barnes" and then laugh maniacally until you start coughing up blood.)

He also made the point that Tennessee is going to be DANGEROUS this year, barring key injuries. Dangerous, and this year the Gators face them twice.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674

WELL SAID! This is incredibly true and one of the best statements I've read on a message board.
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +647
    Very funny writing! Loved it.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,072
    That is probably fair. Sort of the same as "black quarterbacks are run first" or "white guards are shooters" kind of assumptions.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,072
    Yes, that was a good call. An argument could be made for Boeheim at Cuse, which used to be a great football school. Maybe Fisher at Michigan, though not nearly for the same duration. More importantly, Donovan has done it not just at a football school, but in a football state, football region, and undoubtedly the nation's premiere football conference.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,979
    Funny how he says you either hate Henderson or extremely dislike him... lol
  13. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Actually, Goffrey, from George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" (I have read all 7 books - two prequels - "The Sworn Sword" and "The Hedge Knight"), has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and is a malicious, arrogant, self-rightous bastard, so, there is good reason to Hate him.

I'm sure that Marshall Henderson, although he certainly appears to share some of those characteristics, must have some redeeming qualities, so one really can't Hate him in the same way.

Ohh, by the way, for those of you who only watch the shows, Goffrey will soon get his just rewards. Of course, in this story, almost everyone gets their just rewards, if one can consider bad things happening to you a just reward. The video version really takes one far afield from the Books, which are much better, although most of the important stuff is maintained (Martin consults on the Videos). On another note, after book 5, nothing is anywhere near resolution. Martin stated something like: "I planned on doing three novels, but the story grew in the telling."
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Those of us only watch the tv version don't want to know what's coming from the books!
  15. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    This.
  16. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Exactly. You don't see Georgia, Miami, Alabama, FSU, etc. tearing it up in college basketball. One could see an occasional LSU or Mississippi St in a Final 4 but they are not often a perennial contender like UF has been.
  17. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,379
    On Marshall Henderson:

I LOLed out loud