Got a Cadillac health plan? Get ready to kiss it good bye!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Aug 12, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    It is not hard to figure out why the cost of HSA plans will go up or go away (mandating coverages people don't want to meet obamacare requirements)....

Your emotional rant is ridiculous wrt Medicare. If you want to play that childish game I suppose you will support the government cutting me a check for all my taxes paid to Medicare and stop collecting them going forward...

That said sadly my generation will continue the tradition of screwing ones kids generation until it blows up with no money...
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    The program going bankrupt is efficient...

You can't make this stuff up!

:smoke:
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    I would gladly have my generation take the brunt of the damage from the Greed of Medicare and receive less while continuing to contribute as the program was slowly dismantled so my kids do not get screwed worse than my generation.

The statists will not allow this unfortunately...
  4. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

Here's the bottom-line, we as a society have, for the last several decades, spent far more money on healthcare than any other country in the industrialized world, and yet by every measure we are far from the healthiest.

Until you, and people like you, accept this undeniable fact, a meaningful debate on how to make healthcare better and more accessible is impossible.
  5. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I can see ignorance must be bliss in your case.

Here's a little free education for you, the solvency, or lack thereof, of Medicare is, more than anything else, a function of demographics. Put another way, as more and more people grow old and enroll in Medicare, costs go up and eventually more money is spent on Medicare than is taken in by FICA.

In this regard it is no different than private insurance. When claims exceed premiums (and the return on investments made by insurance companies) companies raise premiums, cut benefits, or some combination of the two.

Medicare will be faced with the same choice in the not so distant future.
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +513
    Medicare may be going bankrupt, but it is more efficiently run than private insurance when you compare markers such as inflationary costs (year over year increases) and overhead. The problem with Medicare is part of the overall problem, and that's more people qualifying for it every year as our population begins to age. The other problem is, people are living longer today, and therefore, spending more Medicare money.

Indigent care is a big part of the problem, but so is senior care. In general, people spend more money on medical costs after retirement then they do the rest of their time alive. AARP estimates retirees will spend over $3000 out-of-pocket a year, and retirees will need $240,000 in savings to cover just medical expenses post retirement. And this is with Medicare coverage!

Selling insurance across state lines isn't going to solve the issues of indigent care and the cost of senior care. Allowing NP's more authority won't make much of a dent either, though I am absolutely in favor of it. Charity is nice, but when you are talking about taking care of millions of seniors, charity would be drained quickly. Not to mention, again, there are 2 million medical bankruptcies currently being filed annually today, with the majority of people having coverage, but still not able to pay.

The problems are much more complex and require more complex answers. Doing nothing is what got us into this mess already, and unless we are willing to put a price tag on human life, we need to find a way to pay for medical costs.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7

Excellent post.
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +500
    I see this frequently touted and yet people conveniently ignore the fact we're also the fattest most car dependent fast food indulgent country on the planet. All of which affects health and outcomes but has little to no bearing on the care provided.

I agree costs are high but part of that is due to our standard of living, the fact we essentially subsidize most of the rest of the world for medication, and are early adopters of new technology. Moreover, we elect more optional procedures. For instance, up to 85% of women use an epidural during child birth in the US versus 14-38% in the rest of the world. You going to tell your wife she doesn't need an epidural?
  9. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,888
    Except there will be less and less and less of these people to pay into this system so you'll end up with a much larger scale version of the issues facing Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security. One of the reasons there is such a large burden is Seniors living longer and so many of them (baby boomers and the generation prior) that are no longer working, retired on the "promise" of Social Security, and now the rest of us paying into the system aren't enough to cover it. We have almost ZERO hope of getting any Social Security benefits, yet we're paying constantly into it. Same with Medicare taxes and other benefits. We'll never see it.

So now on top of that, you're saying that hey, it's okay, work harder for less money, and hey don't worry about not being able to pay your bills - it's your job to take care of your neighbor because the government says so.

Agreed that the problems are complex and require a multi-tier approach. However, this is all the more reason NOT to go with a half ___ed plan just for the heck of it that no one understands, and the government itself can't figure out how to implement.
  10. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,888
    In my case I'm glad I did - had to have a crash C-section when my daughter's vitals dropped dramatically.

However, I will say that I felt pressured from very early to get it done earlier, which meant the anesthesiologist coming more often, which would've meant more $$. We didn't know there were any complications at that point.
  11. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,888
    As a side to look at for reform - try prescription care. Look closely at the medications you get at the "actual cost" versus what the copay is. My seizure medication comes in at just over NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH without insurance. There are many medications out there that are just really overpriced and I think the drug companies need to be controlled a bit more with how much they charge.
  12. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +500
    I've heard doctors tend to push c sections more. I'm sure the same goes for anesthesia but we never experienced either. They presented the epidural as an option and provided the positives and negatives of it. My wife went in thinking she would do it without an epidural but once the back labor kicked in you couldn't dissuade her from getting one.

A c section wasn't really discussed much and wasn't brought up again until it was starting to be apparent things weren't happening naturally and our daughter was experiencing severe distress.
  13. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +500
    It's well known we greatly subsidize the world's prescription drug market.
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    Do you really think that the healthcare system is what makes us/a person healthy? There are thousands if not millions of variables that affect ones health. And I want to be able to begin treatment tomorrow if diagnosed with some issue...

There is a reason the vast majority of advancements happen here and I don't want cheap healthcare (does not mean we cannot be cheaper and more efficient but the way to be efficient is allowing the free market to work) as I want the best.
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    LOL!

Let me ask you this. How long do you ink medicare would be solvent if we stopped making those under 65 contribute FICA taxes (we will even allow those still working to pay them)?

How efficient do you ink medicare is for those on it now if we stopped redistributing the younger generations wealth to them (and yes I get that they even had some of their contributions redistributed)?

Ignorance truly is bliss!
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    This is a problem.
  17. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    ACA will not change how the indigent are covered. They are covered by Medicaid today and will be if and when ACA is implemented.
  18. creekgator

creekgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    except those that are provided to Congress and Gubmint Unions
  19. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Our healthcare professionals, technology, devices, medicines are the envy of the world. We've got a bunch of fat people who eat too much, drink too much, smoke too much, take bad drugs. And we are furnishing them SNAP cards to pay for the above and an Obama phone to call the ambulence to tote them to the emergency room when they get a cough.
  20. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    Dude, NO WAY I'm getting what elderly care have gotten in the past, and are getting now as Medicare (pay some money, and get a LOT more in return).

No way Medicare will be there for me. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of not accepting Medicare, because if you do, it IS ILEGAL to pay yourself for care that isn't covered by Medicare. And for me to not accept Medicare means not to accept SS, because that is how the central authority with our legal system deemed it to. WHY???? Ask yourself that question. Why would the guvmint not want people to reject something that costs the guvmint money? CONTROL, it is all about control. But continue soldiering on sheep.

Educamate yourself in the topic