goodbye to a good boy

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by anstro76, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    Interesting! You got me thinking about this after reading your response.

Can You Explain a Pet's Death to Another Pet?

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/can-you-explain-a-pet-s-death-to-another-pet/page1.aspx

Should I let other dog view the body?

http://askville.amazon.com/dogs-died-dog-view-body-she's-anymore/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=50195520

Dealing with Grief in a Pack

http://www.cesarsway.com/cesarstips/problembehaviors/Dealing-with-Grief
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,632

It's been my experience that a dog shows anxiety with the loss of another dog, when he doesn't know what happened. If for some reason, one of my dogs needs to spend the night at vet, the other dog seems to be looking for them, along with showing anxiety, or depressed they are gone. My male dog has had two knee surgeries. Each time he had to spend the night at the vet. Each time, my female dog refused to eat or drink the entire time he was gone. As soon as he arrived home, my female started eating and drinking instantly. Same when you put down a dog, the other dog can go for months if not longer looking for the other dog.

When a dog sees the body of his buddy (human or canine), all dogs tend to cope in the same way. The dog will approach the body. Sniff the body until he figures out what happened. Typically, the dog will take in a deep breath and walk away. It almost as if when they exhale, they get passed the death. Thereafter, I have not noticed a dog exhibiting any anxiety over the loss.

I think the dog's anxiety and the depression comes from the unknown. If they know, the only thing they will show is maybe being depressed because they are all alone and there is no one to play with, but they don't seem to show anxiety.
  3. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    Anstro...I feel your pain as your are a member of our family here on Gator Country...we all grieve for not only the loss of your family member but for you and your family members that will miss Coco. I mean our ({pets} I don't like that word) are our children. I am a "cat" person and have dealt with similar issues, it is a very emotional decision to make and you have my most sincere sympathy.
    Stay Strong My Gator Brother and may Coco Rest In Peace
    Beach
    • Like Like x 1
  4. beachpiratefla

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    I have had two Maine Coon cats that were born in my garage thirteen years ago... Mama cat was recued from a nearby marina and she only gave birth to two kittens as she was small of stature and I would guess the renegade father was a big cat as Maine coons run. All of my cats when of age have been spayed or neutered and declawed as they NEVER go outside... they have a huge outdoor suite to get outside ( screened enclosure). They were two brothers...one a lot bigger than the other...I was there on hand to actually watch the birth of my "children" if you understand my previous post to Anstro. Mango and Maya were there names and we lost Maya the smaller cat three years ago to what seemed to be a an heart attack or stroke and he was instantly gone with no pain at all right in front of us under the living room table. After this happened his brother (Mango) came and did check out Maya while he was lying there as we were trying to deal with an obvious loss. He showed no adverse effects as Mango seemed to understand what had happened to his little brother and maybe wished him well. You can see both of my children on my profile page...the black cat (Nelson) is a another story as he is no longer with us either. That is a very difficult experience that I am not sure I would share on this forum. I have had a difficult time posting on this thread from tears of memory and grief for all of our Gator Country children that have passed whether they are cats, dogs, birds, reptiles, fish, etc.
    Beach
    I hope I am just and understanding and caring person with the post...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. beachpiratefla

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    btt
    • Like Like x 2
  6. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Thank you for bumping the thread BeachPirate, I missed it the first time.

Please accept my condolences, Anstro. I've been there and my heart goes out to you. Rest in peace, Coco. Good boy!

I saw your comment that you have other dogs and aren't planning on getting another one anytime soon. After a grieving period I hope you will reconsider. As long as caring for Coco was not too much of a hardship in terms of the cost or the space, then your family has room in your home and hearts for one more dog. I urge you to fill it with a shelter dog that needs the love you've got to offer.

That's your call though. I sure don't mean to worsen your sadness by putting a guilt trip on you about not getting another dog. Just hope you'll consider it, that's all. I'm sure you'll do what's best for your family. I am sorry again about your loss.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I can understand your pain Anstro. I did it once, and swore I'd never have another dog. Then, we had kids, and the inevitable happened, another dog.
  8. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,151
    Ahhhh, very nice . The pack knows something is amiss. I understand. Three is cool.:angel:
  9. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Only 2. the big boy is the one who's no longer with us.

Sent from my mind using ESP
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 1truegator

1truegator Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    One constant hope of mine is to be half he man my dog believes me to be. Sounds like you are.