Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Goodbye HBO

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    HBO was the 1st but Starz has better overall content. HBO has too many documentaries that I don't want to watch or pay for. These days there are too many other networks that provide good documentaries that are free. HBO won't be around much longer as another network like Showtime or Starz will buy them out. Maybe even Netflix.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    HBO is worth it for Game of Thrones in my opinion.

3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interestingly, the Netflix CEO sees their problem as the opposite.

“Our hit ratio is way too high right now,” Hastings said. “So, we’ve canceled very few shows … I’m always pushing the content team: We have to take more risk; you have to try more crazy things. Because we should have a higher cancel rate overall.”

Netflix CEO Thinks They Should Be Canceling More TV Shows

4. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I get HBO for a month after GoT season ends and binge watch it, Westworld and whatever movies catch my eye.

5. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2014
    I get HBO Now whenever a new season of GoT starts and I cancel it when GoT ends. I'll watch anything else that catches my eye during that time period.

6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Most people don't cancel it, which is why they add so much time between seasons. So if they make it 18-24 months between seasons they get more money.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Don't quit your day job.

Starz is owned by Lionsgate, who are struggling and more likely to be bought out by someone else than to do any acquiring. There was even talk of possible bankruptcy a few years ago before Hunger Games essentially saved them. The entire value of the parent company Starz (LGF) is only $5 Billion dollars. ATT just completed this Time Warner acquisition for $85 Billion dollars, and HBO is a huge key to that, you really think Lionsgate has a shot in hell of acquiring HBO??? Or that ATT is going to turn around and unload such a huge key - basically the crown jewel in their most recent acquisition? Nope.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Teenagers have the Internet now. They'd probably think Realsex was quaint in a puritanical way.

9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007

HBO has been producing original series about 25 years longer than Netflix, so they should be better at it. I think Netflix will get there, they already have some good shows. Who can say with Amazon, they'll make great TV if that's what they have to do to make money, but if their software is any indication it might be awhile. Nobody would buy an Amazon Echo if the software was it's main selling point.

10. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stankey situation.

11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Yeah, Amazon has been trailing big time and mostly picking up outside projects. Most are garbage from what I have seen. They recently grabbed The Expanse after Syfy dumped it though, which is a pretty good show that had bad ratings for some reason. The advantage is they have a lot of money to throw at this stuff, but the disadvantage is that they don't seem to know what they are doing yet. Time will tell.

12. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    About what you would guess. HBO has more Emmy nominations per show, but Netflix has more Emmy nominations over all.

Netflix edges out HBO to nab more Emmy nominations than any other network

For the first time in Emmy history, Netflix NFLX, -1.23% led all other networks and platforms in award nominations. The streaming giant nabbed 112, compared to HBO’s 108. Last year, Netflix had 91 nominations, behind HBO’s 111.

NBC came in third this year with 78, and FX Networks in fourth with 50. The 2018 Emmy Awards ceremony will take place on September 17.

By individual shows, HBO’s “Game of Thrones” led the way with 22 Emmy nominations, followed by its fellow HBO drama “Westworld” and NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” each of which had 21. NBC is owned by Comcast Corp. CMCSA, +2.31%

Netflix has invested billions in developing original content over the past few years, and estimated in April that it will spend up to $8 billion this year alone. HBO could be headed in a similar direction; its parent company, WarnerMedia (formerly Time Warner), was acquired by AT&T Inc. T, +1.13% in an $85.4 billion acquisition deal just last month and WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey has made it clear that he wants a “broad" HBO that can get users to engage with content for “hours a day. It’s not hours a week, and it’s not hours a month. We need hours a day.”

13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I get 52 or so new release movies a year on HBO. 0 on Netflix. Still don't see how anyone could compare the 2.

14. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And I’ve never had any interest getting involved with Netflix. And none for HBO either.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 4:34 AM
  15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    HBO has great content. Plus the older stuff still available to stream...
    GOT
    Westworld
    Treme
    Veep
    Silicon Valley
    Vice Principles
    Crashing
    And Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams looks like it's going to be amazing

16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    You wouldn't have any problem finding 52 movies a year to watch on Netflix. Here's a few of the big 2017 movies on Netflix right now.

Star Wars - The Last Jedi
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Thor Ragnarok
    Coco
    Despicable Me 3
    Wind River
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales