Good Read: Tyler's High School Coach Praises Him

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Jaggator, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/uf-gators/os-gators-tyler-murphy-0923-20130922,0,7145622.story

New Gators starting QB Tyler Murphy has history of thriving under pressure

Murphy's high school coach says the lightly recruited athlete had talent, determination needed to earn his opportunity at Florida

GAINESVILLE — "When Gators quarterback Jeff Driskel limped off the field and back-up Tyler Murphy jogged in to replace him, John Campanello Jr.'s long-awaited opportunity finally had arrived.

Back home in Newington, Conn., Campanello had faithfully tuned into Gators games for more than three seasons, hoping to catch a glimpse of Murphy, who starred for Campanello's team at Wethersfield High School.

Like Murphy, Campanello was rewarded for his patience and perseverance in ways he never imagined during Florida's 31-17 win against Tennessee.
    Murphy, a redshirt junior, had not thrown a college pass prior to Saturday. But he came off the bench to ignite the Gators' offense with his timely scrambling, clutch passing and surprising calm in trying circumstances.

"I thought he played within himself," Campanello told the Sentinel on Sunday. "You go into a situation like that, I thought he was really composed. He was going through his progressions. He just handled the whole situation really well.

"He made the right decisions. When he scrambled, it was at the right time. He picked up a bunch of first downs. He threw it well. I just thought he ran the whole offense effectively."
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Which was nice to see....and I think is why we are all pleased. It's been quite a while since we've seen someone run "the whole offense effectively".
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Great read, I remember my HS coach and he always remembered your name whenever he saw you in public long after playing time was over. They appreciate the sacrifice of working nearly year round to play a game.

What I think makes Tyler so good, is his mental ability, quick thinking and calm. I hope when something good happens Saturday, he thanks all the players on offense about the good play. They will know then this kid is for real. I am not expecting a blowout, but a good solid win with the offense being able to turn it on with some new players contributing. Here's to 3-1 for the year.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  5. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    Watching the game I realized very quickly that Murphy made his reads quicker then Jeff and acted decisively which I think has been the problem with Jeff. I look for the team to be more effective now and it'll play better offensively.
  6. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Gatorzone has his interviews online for free. The kid is very well spoken, humble and confident. The comment "strong minded" comes through. Excellent interview for anyone who wants to watch.The situation is no too big for the kid.
  7. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    I know that I get caught up in comparing the two quarterbacks... Driskel and Murphy.

One is 6'4"... runs a 4.6 40 and was very highly recruited coming out of high school.
    Murphy is smaller... 6'1"...6'2"?... has good speed and quickness and has a quick release on his passes. He was NOT highly recruited.

Visually... the differences between Driskel and Murphy are great.
    But... the what happens on the field... the decisiveness, knowing when and where to scramble, etc.. was shown in last week's game.

But the main point, when looking at Murphy and the size comparison between him and Driskel...we need to realize that Murphy is most likely taller and faster than Manziel from Texas AM.

Sometimes you don't need the 6'4" 240 lb quarterback to win you games.
  8. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    Murphy is listed at 6'2, average height of NFL QB is 6'3.

3 of the top 4 QBs in UF history were shorter than / the same height as Murphy.

Wuerffel 6'2
    Grossman 6'1
    Leak 6'0

Conclusion: height will not be an issue for TM.
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    You can take at least an inch off all those heights. Not that it changes your point.
  10. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,021
    I had a class with Wuerrfel, he is a legit 6'2. Was in his early 20s anyway.
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm highly sceptical considering most heights are overstated and I've stood next to the other two and neither were their listed heights.