Good on the Koch Brothers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Jun 17, 2013.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Now I agree that global trade includes some strange incentives, but ideally the WTO can help settle any issues that might arise here. For a bizarre story on subsidies and trade, check out NPR's coverage of the US-Brazil 'cotton wars'. (Edit: This is actually a case where the subsidies led to the WTO sanctioning the US for killing Brazil's ability to compete)

I don't think that the ag subs are 'evil' either. I think the congress had their hearts in the right place, as always. (No sarcasm actually). However, I do think that the subsidies really don't end up doing much. NPR had another story, which had a few farmers admit that they could probably handle their business without the help.

I also agree that we are used to them right now, so we certainly can't just drop all the subs in one second. But I do think our farm industry could stand on it's own, and this would be cheaper in the long run.
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    Why does the American farmer need to survive? Other countries have huge comparative advantages in farming, so we should be buying our crops from them.
  3. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    Yeah. Lets 'farm' out more jobs.

If all else fails, i want to live in a country with the ability to feed itself.

That said, the subsidies are in many instances ludicrous.
  4. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    You can't be serious? You WANT America to become dependent on foriegn countries for our food??? What, our dependence on foriegn oil not enough for your? Everything from cars to computers, toys and trinckets, is imported--now you want to add corn flakes, meat and milk to that?

Look, I'd be open comprehensive Ag. reform--but it needs to be well thought out, not wrecklessly reactionery.

But understand this--farming isn't just subject to the whims of supply and demand, as with manufactruing products (e.g.--auto's)--it's also subject to weather patterns, droughts, flooding, natural disasters, deseases, etc. One bad drought, without subs, whipes out legions of farmers--who usually do NOT return to farming.

Subs help stabalize these situations, keeping farmers in the game.

I don't see how you can get rid of subs, and farming remain competitive. Maybe for a few years, but the first bout of devestation, and developers, corp. raiders, banks, investors, what have you, come swoop'n in, clean out the equipment, the land, everything.....and leave a vacant non-productive carcass of land, that would otherwise be productive, as farmland.

...and again, those ousted farmers almost never go back to the grueling life of farming.

That's why it's moslty corp. farmers now--and the subs make/keep them profitable, and therefore in the game.

Here. In the USA.