Good News wrt Florida and Common Core

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Sep 23, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    1. Ironic isn't it? And they were wrong...

2. More states rights. Though I would agree the state has too much influence as well.
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Some links to the actual common core standards. (just in case anyone wants to know what they are arguing against)

Math

Reading

Writing

Speaking and Listening

Language

Are there some problems with common core? Absolutely, but nothing presented so far in this thread has anything to do with common core.
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,902
    Well in speaking for myself, I have no problems with the standards themselves. Most of them are common sense, & are okay, with the exception of the so-called new math in my opinion. However, at least here in New York and in other places, the problem is with all of the testing that comes along with it which has become completely excessive. If the teachers themselves are telling the students the test is not a reflection of their work, and makes no sense, why even have it?

Not knowing the current system in Florida, I don't know if all of these so called core standards are already in place. I know for hear it really hasn't been as much of a change as folks were expecting, again with the exception of the so-called new math. And quite frankly, after the parent teacher conferences, my daughters on math teacher said she was going to be teaching the "normal way".
  4. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Then your problem isn't with common core, but with the tests that the testing companies are pushing on the schools?
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +616
    They did have the Regents in New York when I was younger and lived up there. You couldn't graduate high school if you didn't score the minimum required score.
  6. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,902
    My only huge problem with the common core curriculum per se is the so-called new math, which was addressed at length at another thread and I have got get my kid at school soon. However, up here (and again, I can only go off of what is happening here in our school system) the testing to see if you've passed the common core requirements goes hand-in-hand with the implementation. There is no testing company up here. The "testing company" is the State of New York. They're the ones that set the standards/questions, length, dates, etc. They're the ones that claim that because all of this is tied to federal funding, they have to have the tests in place to make sure the "core values" are being met. So the State is the one that sets the three AIS tests, the Regents tests, tells the schools that they need to have finals on top of that, and of course if you're in high school you're going to need to take the SAT/ACTs for entrance exams, plus if you're in AP you need the AP tests. There's no company - it's all done by the State, and again, based off of what the government says needs to be done as part of the common core curriculum.
  7. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Pearson is the testing company that New York is using for the regents exams. They are making a ton of money off of common core implementation.
  8. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,902
    Thanks for the info on that, but the test itself-what is on it, the questions, etc, all come from Albany. The AIS tests also come from Albany. That they use a third party to administer the tests, score them, etc is not surprising given all the other tests going on at the same time. Ultimately no matter who administers it, the guidelines are set/approved by Albany.