God Cares About You and Me

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Feb 11, 2018.

1. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    Creation is God's work, after all; but I know exactly what you're saying. It's easier to be relaxed and spiritual when you're alone and "still." A bit harder when there's people around and there's other stuff going on to serve as distractions.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    I have broken bread and sipped wine with the Pharisees.
    And with a few Scribes too.
    The Scribes were more fun.
    Had better wine too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +34,571
    I don't think GOD cares if I belong to some 'organized' group of people's interpreting the good book in their own 'special' way...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,228

I had vowed to myself to not respond in this thread. Apparently I failed in that. To any I offend when I point out the silliness of believing in an omniscient omnipotent god, I offer my apology. When I was a freshman at UF, someone told me the best explanation of religion. God exists if you have faith that he does. He doesnt if you dont. No debate will ever convince a believer or non believer that they are wrong. I should stick to my vow to not read any more of these threads. I just get worked about the things that some of the faithful say. With out faith they seem to be just silly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +306
    And despite there are laws we still need attorneys and judges.
    Interpretation is not an absolute.
    However, your interpretation may be an absolute for you. The operative word is "you" not collectively, but personally.

PS: Where did I say that Christians are mean or bad?
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,831
    Oh,

Got it.
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +472
    Some of my favs

Exodus 21:20-21 – "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

Ephesians 6:5 - "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ."

Colossians 3:22-24 – "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

Leviticus 25:44-46 – Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Deuteronomy 20:10-15 – When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the LORD your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the LORD your God gives you from your enemies. This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.

1 Timothy 2:11-12 – "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

Exodus 35:2 – " For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death."

Leviticus 20:13 – "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Genesis 6:6-7 - "The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.""

2 Chronicles 15:12-13 - "They entered into a covenant to seek the LORD, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul. All who would not seek the LORD, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman."

1 ValdostaGatorFan 5:52 - "Just, like, be nice to each other and help each other out."

This could go on forever, really. LOTS of disturbing things in the Bible. And before you go all "That's old testament," on me, are we not talking about the same God from the New Testament?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,461
    It is interesting that Mule's OP focused on G-d's kindness, but people turned the discussion into a disputation over the validity of religion, in general, or belief systems in particular.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,652
    Grumpy. If you looked outside and saw your neighbors house on fire at 10 pm would you call and warn them? Would you call 911? Of course you would. Likewise how can a Christian we not warn of the consequences of unbelief. Christians are call to spread the Gospel (Good News) that through Christ we are made righteous with the Father. How can you love your neighbor and ignore the consequences of unbelief?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,652
    So you think unrepentant rapists, murderers and thieves should enter Heaven? Hitler? Pol Pot? Stalin?

I mean if god truly cared..........:rolleyes:
  11. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +306
    Because the fire has real tangible consequences. The house IS on fire. I'm not in the habit of constantly pointing out in my opinion how to make his house safe from fire and constantly telling him how my house will never burn down because of all the precautions I take and he should too. Suggestions are fine. Walking away thinking he's "wrong" or isn't doing in his life what I do to prevent my house from burning down shouldn't make me feel like I'm the better person.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,881
    It's inevitable on any thread like this that someone will eventually claim "I'm going to heaven and you're not."
  13. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,319
    Your Spiritual Life depends on LOVE.

You need to Love God with all your Heart, Soul, Mind and Strength.

You need to Fellowship and Love other believers.

And you need to Love those around you, your neighbors.

and lucuna

Love is not always looking the other way. It's also holding people accountable - In Love.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,612
    The reason it's inevitable is because on any thread like this, it is inevitable that non-believers will show up to make disparaging, condescending and/or snarky comments. Think about it: If they didn't, then to whom would the, "I'm going to heaven and you're not" claims be directed?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. G. Gordon Gator

Ratings Received:
    +7,612
  16. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,881
    Nah. It came unsolicited here.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Gator Tail Pub Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +46,257
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +33,602
    Many (Christians included) confuse the Biblical Kingdom of God with the Biblical Kingdom of Heaven.

The "Kingdom of God" exists now. ("On Earth as it is in Heaven" - Jesus) It consists of followers of Christ doing the ACTUAL things Jesus did. The "Kingdom of Heaven" is a spiritual place. Something I believe to be much bigger than our little speck of a universe.
  19. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,598
    I came to browse at this thread out of curiosity. (For full disclosure, I am a non-believer but I like the passion that people have for their beliefs and liked the words of the OP...). If people believe something that helps guide them in life, I'm all for living and let live.

But this quote really caught my eye. It illustrates how some people of faith can convince themselves that 'snarky, disparaging and condescending' comments only come from one side of the coin. A quick glance at this thread tells me there's plenty enough intolerance residing on both sides. The trickiest bit, though, is that one side of that coin actively preaches tolerance, forgiveness and love as core values so I struggle to reconcile it... especially when it is justified with "Oh, well, I'm only human. I sin."

I don't have an agenda. I really think if your beliefs make you happy and you're not breaking any laws, go for it. But regrettably this is exactly what my personal experience of faith has been over many years. So many I know act in the name of their religion to do great things, bring hope and positivity... and then follow it up with prejudice towards others that don't share their faith or concept of belief. And that's what turns me off because it seems to fly in the very face of what it stands for.

Ah well. Peace to all.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. G. Gordon Gator

Ratings Received:
    +7,612
    "Nah"...here's an example of a comment that was unsolicited:
    Like I said, folks who are bitterly anti-religious just can't leave well enough alone when it comes to threads like this. And then they play the role of victims ("It's inevitable on any thread like this that someone will eventually claim 'I'm going to heaven and you're not'" :rolleyes: Awww - boo hoo!) after they goad people into stating the obvious, which is that yes, Heaven is a reward for keeping faith with God. Meaning that no, not everybody gets to go. Just think of it as a safe space where people who don't believe certain things aren't welcome. You know, like a college campus! :)