Go Home People

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Dec 27, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,830
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I don't know what people think "real Florida" is. The bulk of the state was built on a flood of vacation/tourism land grabs. By and large these people came from the mid-Atlantic states.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    My grandfather was born in a town just south of Aberdeen in Scotland. My grandmother in a small town in Italy. They met in New York where they lived until they vacationed in Florida in the mid 1960s at which point they bought a house in Charlotte and in Sarasota.

You should hear them complain about how the Northerners are ruining "real Florida." :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,830
    I live 4 miles from the house I grew up in
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,376
    The only way you're stopping that is to create a high living expense that equals or excels the northeast.
    I can honestly tell you having lived in the NE my whole life (with the exception of my time at UF), they believe it's a paradise that solves whatever they think their escaping. I've know a few that have come back fairly quickly.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Having lived in New York, the Bay Area, Austin and several cities in Florida, it's a great place to live - primarily for older people.

But what we have was largely built on those same people coming down here to escape what they had and to exploit the state in the 50s and 60s. Without that this is a very different state.
  7. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,376
    The people I've known were young working people with families. On the other hand my parents retired down there and were completely happy.
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    My father's side of the family came to Florida in 1910 or so, and I know plenty of people who go back deeper than that. The number of people and amount of development is depressing. We've been going over to the Tampa/St. Pete lately after not being there in years. Non-stop people in every direction. I've been told if you want to build something in Pinellas, you have to tear something else down. No empty land.

On the other hand, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of places in North Florida that are worlds away from that.

I remember talking to a well-known tennis personality about the pro tennis tournament on Amelia Island. She said it was nice because it came a week after one in Miami and it was good to see what she considered the other side of Florida.
    If she thinks Amelia Island is the other side of Florida ....
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    North Florida and South Florida are still two different states in many ways.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    couple of thoughts:

1. Florida isn't the best place to make your fortune; but it's surely one of the best places, if you have your fortune;

2. @ River above--Pinellas has plenty of developable land; for perspective, there's less than 2.5 million ppl, in the greater Tampa Bay area, with less in Pinellas than in Hillsborough, which itself, has plenty of developable land--and Pinellas is bigger than H'borough (geographically).

3. New York, Chicago, LA, Philly, and Houston, all have more ppl. in lesser area, than Miami, Jax, Tampa, St. Pete, and Orlando combined. This state's potential is still, astronomical.

4. There is still a whole lot of rural area in Florida, between our 'big cities' (which really aren't all that big--other than Miami, anyway).

I get what you're saying, but FL's economy could use a whole lot MORE growth, without sacrificing its southern/agricultural flavor.

jhmo.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +708
    Grew up in Pinellas. You really need to tear things down to build something anywhere in the county. While there aren't a ton of people, it isn't that large of a county and has water on three sides. I grew up there during the housing boom in the county in the 1990s. It went from being a series of separate towns to one gigantic sprawl. That being said, I still like the area.

That being said, Florida cities do have potential for growth, but they are not really designed to be cities similar to Philly, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. They were built as massive sprawling land mass type cities. So in order to build up, you have to buy up a decent amount of existing property. But that is happening in places. However, land on the outskirts of the major cities is still so cheap, a lot of people prefer to move out there.
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,354
    When I retire can I move back?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    That's because the infrastructure makes it seem like what's accessible is all taken.

But fly over the Peninsula in a plane, and it looks like a jungle. If you could cut Tampa and past it in Pinnellas County, you could do it about 5 times. There is puh-len-tee of room to build. Hell, there's room to grow IN Tampa, let alone around it--to say nothing of St. Pete.
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Gotcha beat, River. The paternal branch of my dad's family settled in Alachua County in the 1850's The patriarch of the maternal branch established a cotton plantation on Amelia Island in the 1790's. His name was Harrison and he was a captain in the British navy during the Revolutionary War. After the war ended he collected his wife and children from their temporary home in Belize and returned to Florida.

The patriarch of the paternal branch was one of 2 brothers who had lived in south Georgia and both were in love with the same woman. She chose the younger one so the older brother decided to take a ship from Savannah to San Francisco to prospect for gold. He went broke and decided to return to Georgia but had no money for a return voyage by ship so he made his way back across the continent by foot and horseback. It took him several years with the help of a good many generous people who fed and helped him along his way. It is a long standing tradition in our family to be generous to those in need as a way of remembering those who helped my great grandfather make his way home.

When he arrived back in Georgia he learned his brother and sister-in-law and their 3 children had moved to Alachua Co and were farming in a little community known as Hague, somewhat between Alachua and Gainesville near land that later became 441. He came down and worked for his brother until the Civil War started. They joined a local militia and fought side by side until the younger married brother caught what I think was typhus and died. The older brother returned to the farm and married his brother's widow. They had 3 children also and my grandfather was one of the 3 from the second marriage.
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    Maybe in the North of the County, but the statement holds true for the vast majority of the county south of East Bay or even Gulf to Bay. In the 80s, Pinellas was in the top-5 nationally I believe in population density. I also find it very hard to believe Pinellas is bigger than Hillsborough.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tamp...tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wpmas.com%2Fschools%2F;782;425

FWIW. I grew up in Pinellas and just moved to N. Florida and am really liking it. Very nice people, less traffic and a lot more like the St. Pete I grew up in.
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390

Having grown up in Pinellas in the 70s and 80s and lived there most of my life I'm going to have to catagorically disagree with this statement. That the county has maintained what trees it has amid such high density is a credit to the county and not a sign of "plenty of available land."

Also, our already highly stressed water resources might disagree with your position on the state being prime for much more growth. Some parts (Panhandle, Ocala/Gainesville are some), perhaps.
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Pinellas is most definitely not bigger geographically than Hillsborough. At 280 square miles, Pinellas is the second smallest county in Florida in terms of area. As for the rest of it, Florida doesn't need a whole lot more growth unless you want to turn it into a crappier place to live.
  19. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    Florida is the only state the farther south you go the more north you get. Get to Miami / Lauderdale you're back in NY. It's the northern part of the state where the art of living largely exists.

Northeasterns mostly settle on the east coast, Midwesterners the west. Why? I-95 / I-75 .

Live on the west coast and love NY?

Take 75 to 4 and left on 95. Spend money on the way.:)
  20. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    Never seen a residential fence topped with razor wire. Would be a first.:)
    • Winner Winner x 1