Go clemson

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gulfsailinggator, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TBEAU

TBEAU VIP Member

Yes definitely the age of the poster correlates to their opinion on rooting for UGA. BUt to say that rooting for teams you dislike is the downfall of the BCS is crazy. It has always been on occasion the necessity to root for a team you dislike to knock out a team ahead of you even before the BCS system came into play.

To completely understand the BCS system 100% is to love the BCS system but less than 1/10 of 1% of football fans understand it so they hate it. A playoff system doesn't always provide you with the best team standing last. Just look at the NCAA tournament. I can remember in the NFL a 6 loss team almost made it to the Superbowl and the Giants won the superbowl and weren't the best team. Playoffs smlayoffs.
  2. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

If UF takes care of it's own business, it doesn't need UGA to win squat.

Sure, you do need a little bit of a good SoS to play for all the marbles, but Florida has enough quality opponents lined up that they can afford one of them to fizzle out.

Lastly, if USC works Clemson at the end of the year like they did last year, any bragging rights they have against the SEC go out the window.
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

If you want to look at it as far as rankings go, it would help our cause if Georgia beats Clemson which would knock them under us in the rankings. Then if we take care of business against Georgia, we should be good to go. Granted with that being said, if we win out it doesn't matter who wins the game.
  4. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Notice I put a smiley face after calling the BCS the downfall of football. I was lamenting the fact that the BCS makes me root for teams I dislike because in convoluted calculations that helps the Gators.

I understand the BCS but do not have as much faith in it as you do. It is way too subjective combined with computer calculations that reflect the biases (i.e. programmed presumptions) of those who maintain the computer rankings. I don't like beauty contests in place of playoffs. How often are teams anointed one of the best in college football history only to be stomped in their bowl game. But hey, just my preference.