Gluten-Free Now...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ovillegator, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    My wife has been diagnosed as gluten-intolerant, because of her thyroid. Not celiac, just intolerant. So to honor her I agreed to go on a gluten-free diet with her. We started about 9 months ago. I've lost 25 pounds and she's lost 12 (though to be at a good weight for her, she wants and needs to lose another 10-15 pounds.) She feels her thyroid condition keeps her from losing weight easily (she works out for an hour or so 3 to 4 times a week she's 43.)

I feel like the weight loss is mainly from not eating breads, pancakes, etc. But maybe it's simply not having gluten. Anyone else dealing with gluten issues?

I do find alot of gluten-free foods in the store seem to be lousy in terms of fiber, protein and anything good. Find myself being much more label-intensive when shopping!
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Is your wife's thyroid under control through meds? If it is underperforming then it will be harder to lose weight for sure but that can be regulated through something like synthroid or another thyroid medicine.

Also as I mentioned on another thread I don't have a gluten allergy but am very familiar with celiac. Its amazing the foods that have wheat in it but the good thing is that more and more people are becoming aware and more things are becoming available.

I think its best to make your own foods as much as possible still and just double check the ingredients because even things like soy sauce usually have wheat. You can replace just about anything with gluten by using rice or quinoa or some other replacement.
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +554
    I have gone gluten free myself for no other reason then updating myself on the woes of gluten.

Oliie, just ridding your diet of high calorie low nutrition breads, pastas etc. will cause weight loss thats why you need to increase your protein and (good) fat intake by 2/3 rds of what your carb intake was. So you are at a 1/3 calorie deficit and can loss fat while maintaining muscle.

Also I am with Leaf, how is your wife's thyroid? If see does not want to use meds, the minerals Iron, Selenium and Iodine play an important function in thyroid health. You can increase their intake by:
    Iron- eat more red meat
    Se- 3-4 brazil nuts a day will give you all you need
    Iodine- fish and shellfish or use a kelp supplement.