Global warming scientists get stuck in Antartica ice ... during summer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Dec 29, 2013.

1. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Anyone who doesn't see the paradox (trying to avoid the silly "irony" definition debate) in this situation is being deliberately obtuse.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,908
    The northern hemisphere isn't always tilted away from the sun. Only during its winter, which happens to be while the Earth is at perihelion (is closer) to the sun. Conversely, the north's summer is during aphelion (farther from sun). Inverse these conditions for the Southern hemisphere. This situation makes the Southern hemisphere more extreme in its season due to a nearer solar proximity in summer, and further in winter. Opposite for us Northerners.

The Earth's axis does indeed wobble. The large wobble takes 26,000 years. In 3,500 years, Gamma Cephei will replace the Polaris as the North Star. So what? This wobble (known as axial precession) moves the placement of equinox/solstice within our orbit. I.e., The North hasn't always, nor will it continue to have the relative mild winter/summer orbital bliss described above.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,908
    Anyone who took Astronomy at UF during the 60s, 70s, or 80s likely had my Granddaddy as their professor.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    The only paradox is the self-created fiction in the minds of partisans who believe any scientific exploration is a means to simply perpetuate some fraud, as opposed to actually trying to understand climate. It's easy for the dolts to be reflexively dismissive; it gives them cover from actually having to think.
  5. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663

"The leader of a scientific expedition whose ship remains stranded in Antarctic ice says the team, which set out to prove climate change, is "stuck in our own experiment."

"But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas."

Antarctic sea ice is at record levels for the satellite era and Turney remains adamant, while trapped in sea ice, that it's melting (of course it should be in the Antarctic summer) and you accuse US of being "reflexively dismissive dolts"?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013...er-trapped-team-insists-polar-ice-is-melting/
  6. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Exactly, dolts. What else to call folks who simply want to mock scientific efforts while basking in their own ignorance as if it's some kind of badge of honor? Cherry picking quotes and providing a very distorted picture of what the expedition was about are good indicators of this type of dismissive and doltish attitude, displayed by fox and the denialist cottage industry which proliferates on the internet. What the researchers set out to do was stated here, in case you cared to look.

7. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Listen, I'm not one of those anti-environmental conservatives. I do not think the vast majority of scientist were out to perpetuate fraud in order to squash capitalism. And, even if the global warming scientists are dead wrong, I still think there's a huge value in trying to keep the environment as clean as possible. While I do think some environmentalist take it a little too far and approach the science as if it were a religion., I still don't want to end up living in a world where our atmosphere looks like Shanghai's.

All that being said, denying that a crew of global warming scientists getting iced in during the height of summer is funny/paradoxical is really silly.

It would be just as funny or paradoxical if group of global warming skeptics were stricken by heat exhaustion (assuming no permanent effects) while on a scientific trip to disprove Global Warming in the middle of winter.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Be careful......you may be accused of not understanding science or statistics.
  9. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Fair points, most. I didn't intend the dolt comment at you. It's still not paradoxical when considering the area they were studying and their actual reasons for studying it, not though unless one is basing his opinion on biased assumptions. Last I checked though, no one in the expedition said there was no ice. Indeed, the whole place is an ice sheet and the waters around it are always heavy with ice. Even in the summer it is below freezing and where warming temperatures appear to increase some ice due to increased snow fall but because of winds and other factors, decreases ice in other areas.
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296

Well explained, cudos to you sir.
  11. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +663
    JDR, you are an intelligent poster who is becoming more and more intransigent. No need for the name calling.

If you can't see a little humor in this situation, then you need to lighten up a bit. Has anyone said there is no science to be learned here? Doesn't this unexpected adventure for the Australian study group provide useful data as well?
    You may accuse of cherry-picking quotes, but do you forget that we're limited in what we can post? We are somewhat forced to do so. Take a gander at the article I linked and you'll find extensive coverage of Turney's explanatory message for the ice along with other interest in the mission.

Take a step back, and breathe. Happy New Year!!!
  12. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +496
    Lawyers and name calling are like America and apple pie.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Well, I honestly do think the term fits but you are right, I shouldn't be calling others names, though I didn't direct it at anyone here. Even so, at the risk of doth protesting too much, I don't find the story humorous, not because I lack a sense of humor or can't lighten up but probably because it's just not funny to me beyond their label as being climate scientists.

Happy New Year to you too!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. beanfield

beanfield Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Man made Global Warming/Climate Change...whatever you want to call it, will one day be exposed as one of the greatest hoaxes that has ever been perpetrated on mankind.....
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274

Does that fact make you the next Edwin Hubble? Or did you throw that tidbit in there for some other reason?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +496
    Liberal hoaxes = quite the menu. Billy Joel could write a song like "We didn't start the fire!"

Let's see ... population bomb, Obamacare, embryonic stem cell research, not a child/a blob of tissue, social security (in the not so distant future).
  17. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,908
    Nah. Just thought I'd explain the geekiness of the previous post. I think he'd have been proud of it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    No. We just follow the money. There is a "religious movement" led by Hucksters like AlGore, whose financial viability depends on the believers and who will stop at nothing (including the promotion of Scientific nonsense) to keep the dollars flowing.
  19. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Your invoking Al Gore is empty rhetoric. But you can keep on pointing to him and deflecting from actually addressing the science. Easy enough to see right through your obfuscation.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  20. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Gore would have no underpinning for his schemes without the IPCC and the predominantly government-financed worldwide APGW research regime.