Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Get Excited About the Defense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 25, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I am so pumped about the new coaches on defense, Harris and Chapman. Just what the doctor ordered ( no pun intended). Both are articulate communicators and quite intense. Football, and life in general, is about attitude, mental preparation, and practicing fundamentals. Chapman's remarks really resonated with me.
    "I coach them the way I expect them to play. Intense, detailed, discipline, relentless mentality, effort, urgency. If I expect them to play that way then I need to coach them that way."
    For years as a Gator fan, I have watched the mental side of the game completely void on the field. Apathy described the coaching staff in the past--the coaches taught and the players bought--apathy! Here’s why I AM SO VERY HOPEFUL. We finally have a coach restoring the mental aspect to the game.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Oh, even I would not of gone there! LOL

3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    We do but not from 15 yards back from the line of scrimmage (like I saw in the game). Line up like man on man coverage then blitz and drop someone back or fill with the safety or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That was on our last position coaches... lazy-azz and worthless. I hope we get that sorted out before the football season starts.

But in the O&B game lining up back is not really indicative of where the real starters in games will be positioned. And if they are... that would be a huge step backwards in defensive set/s protocol. I think the basics of blocking and tackling are the two main things on defense that they were focused on the most. And the tackling was much improved. Tackling still needs to be practiced all the time becasue of the short "shelf-life" of tackling properly... it is a very perishable skill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Did notice the improved tackling. That was a nice surprise. And the DB's were breaking on the ball too, other than those two picks.

• Like Like x 1