Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Get Excited About the Defense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 25, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Okay, you can label this thread as funny, C'mon man, whatever. I haven't thought of myself before now as excited about this defense, but I got a sudden inspiration to challenge myself to think outside the box vs the last few years. In other words, why not? Can we get excited about the defense? I looked at the names on the Gator roster and I think we can! I believe we will see better DL, LB, and Safety play. THE question marks are with the CB's and STAR position. I don't know about you, but I think the STAR may be the most critical position. When the STAR reads the offense right, he can shut a play down in a heartbeat! Think of Chauncey Gardner, he was a beast!!! Jaydon Hill seemed to do alright but he was a fraction of Chauncey. I may have inadvertently left names off that should have been Included. Simply, add the name here.

GN, can we get excited about the defensive unit? Will the defense play with a killer attitude and prove the naysayers wrong? Go ahead, sound off!

DL: CJ Searcy, Kelby Collins, Caleb Banks,
    Joey Slackman, Justus Boone, George Gumbs Jr,
    Cam Jackson, Kamran James, Jamari Lyons,
    LJ McCray, Jack Pyburn, Tyreak Sapp

LB: Grayson (Pup) Howard, Shemar James, Myles Graham, Derek Wingo, Mannie Nunnery, Jaden Robinson, Aaron Chiles.

DB: Trikweze Bridges, Jordan Castell,
    Sharif Denson, DJ Douglas, Aaron Gates, Ja'Keem Jackson,
    Dijon Johnson, Jason Marshall, Devin Moore,
    Bryce Thornton, Asa Turner.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    I did the same last year: convinced myself that the D would be better simply because we'd be "one year" older, and that some of the first year players would take a big year 2 jump. That never happened.

At a high level.....Talent + Development + Coaching = On-Field Production

We have a massive issue with on-field production....We all tend to think we have "talent" on the roster, so that leaves (yes, over simplified) development and coaching.

The season comes down to 2nd year players (and the 2 OT transfers) taking a massive leap in on-field production. I hope that happens!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Here’s my thoughts: You are an outstanding fan, and it’s awesome to hear your optimism and enthusiasm. I am a bit envious of you in this regard.

4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Miles Graham is scheduled for back surgery, and out for the rest of spring. Not sure what his back problem consisted of.

5. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    That sucks.

6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida has fielded some great defenses over the years. Bringing that back will be a huge part of future success. Obviously need the O and ST too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Fix the defense!

MY mantra for too long.

If we're not better I'd be shocked. Again.

Just getting a competent SEC defense will make a huge difference in points allowed, getting the ball to what should be a good O more often and better position meaning more points and a less tired defense, and more wins.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Things are looking up!

What else can you say when you are at the bottom? Baffling season last year, being Year 2 and in the NIL/transfer era. To me, it may be merely about better players (new or older) or it may be about better coaching/coordination between the coaches. But in the end, Napier needs to say he "gets it". We shall see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    4th and 17 will take another decade to rid from my mind.

Now that we have multiple coordinators and a bloated staff what could possibly go wrong? o_O

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I’m confident we will be better but we could be better and still be bad.
    I think bringing in Ron Roberts will help us enormously if he and AA mesh. I also think our talent, depth and experience is better than last year. If we don’t have a disastrous rash of injuries I think we may be good or even very good this year. Slackman, Turner and Howard are new pieces that will help. I think Graham and McCray have the ability to help immediately. A lot of guys that played as freshman and sophomores last year will be better. I also think Will Harris is a tremendous upgrade coaching our secondary. The guy exudes energy and confidence.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    I’ve always considered myself somewhere between an optimist and a realist. Having coached sports for two decades (not football), I’m capable and reading and recognizing issues. As often as posters scream for an OC, the defense as a whole was definitively our biggest problem last year. Missed tackles and out of position was hard to watch. Had a serviceable SEC defense taken the field, we would’ve won a few more. But they weren’t and we didn’t. It’s in the past. Many of our complaints with coaching appears on the surface to have been addressed. I agree with 2old that the addition of Roberts may provide the experienced coaching our young staff needs. If it holds true and the AA that was raved about as an up and comer can finally provide us stopping power, then we may see a large jump in performance on the field.

As an aside, it seems the team based on their social media presence is bought in and focused. I really do like CBN and obviously most Gators aren’t happy with where we stand right now. I also dread yet another coaching search and would like to see this young HC put it all together. We could use a staff that gets it done and stays for a while to re-establish the brand. This is the time for optimism and we seem in have young and experienced talent now, so I’ll go the happy route for now. I hope all of Doc’s posts are accurate.

Now if the NCAA would just hammer UGA, this Gator in ATL would be so much happier.
    Go Gators!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Oh geez!

13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    all they need to do is tackle a little better and cause more TOs. What did we get, 3 INTs last year, pathetic. Same for fumbles, we couldn't jar the ball loose

• Like Like x 1
  14. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Thanks. I am the owner of my attitude and thoughts. No one can affect my attitudes, long-term, except me. I've been a Gator fan since the 50's and seen a lot of good and bad seasons, some great and not so great coaches. I see BN as a coach who will get us to where we need to be. Does he have flaws? Sure, who doesn't? If BN is going to turn this team around, he needs fan support; and the players need that from fans too! I want the Gators and BN to succeed, and stinking thinking from fans is only detrimental to the team! My two cents!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gatorbait23

gatorbait23 Junior

Nov 10, 2017
    Not falling for this any longer.

I need to see a season’s worth of data to think this defense is even mediocre before I start thinking about it being good.

the biggest concern for me is the lack of difference makers on that side of the ball, or the entire team, really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Not asking you to be gullible and fall for anything. Listen, pay attention to what coaches, players, and sports writers are saying; and believe in the power of positive thinking. It's okay to have faith and hope and believe again! Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    I got really excited about Max Brown before the FSU game and started a similar type thread, which didn’t go all that well so I’m gonna hold off on the defense for a little while. I’m hopeful it will be better.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Since you stated STAR is the most critical position, Another Site says Aaron Gates will be the starter at 'STAR'.
    Lots of new faces at important positions. Hope I don't see every SEC offense burning our secondary yet again.
    Pray these coaches can do a lot better than Toney who was a complete and total bust with little or no energy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Don't base your life's course solely on one of the silliest things you've ever done.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    "In the 4-2-5 the 'Star' position is the key to the defense. The ‘Star’ is a hybrid safety type that could play outside linebacker in most 4-3 schemes.
    It was designed to help keep the defense on the field against spread offenses, and help limit substitutions. The third safety is talented enough to be a coverage guy, but his strength is against the run."