German Volume Training-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by jjbbq, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jjbbq

jjbbq Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I have recently read a couple of articles on German Volume Training (also called 10 set training I believe). I am thinking of giving this a go for 6-8 weeks. I have been doing an upper body/lower body split 3 times per week. I am ready for a change and this is a program I have never tried.

Sounds like it is rather intense and potentially boring, but the results for muscle gain are supposedly there.

Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts/advice?
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    Try it and see. Strength and conditioning pundits who obsess about maximal strength don't like it. But it stands to reason that GVT might stimulate some hypertrophy. Probably just a short-term fix though.
  3. jjbbq

jjbbq Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    What do you mean by short-term fix? Does that mean the muscle gained during the program would go away once you moved on? I assume that is not what you mean, but I am curious.

I know from reading this board you know what you're talking about. What program do you recommend for optimal hypertrophy. I am in the gym 3-4 times per week for roughly a hour, could do less, can't find time for more. I typically run or box for cardio on the days I am not in the gym. Thanks
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    Quick fix because the sort of hypertrophy you get from high volume is like filling a water balloon. Brief experiment I tried about a year ago: I did ridiculous numbers of biceps curls with TEN pound dumbbells. Did about 100 reps a day, five days a week. Did this for two weeks. Result: half-inch gain on biceps measurement. Went away after about a month.

Now, this is just me, but if hypertrophy was my primary goal ... I'd certainly cut back on the cardio. I'd concentrate on the weights for 6-8 weeks and maybe just walk a lot. The idea is not to pursue competing goals. Based on what you're telling me, your body may be confused as to whether to retain muscle or shed it.

In fact, were you to cut back on endurance work, at least for a time, the sort of strength training you're doing right now may be sufficient to confer the sort of results you're looking for!
  5. jjbbq

jjbbq Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I hear you...I do the cardio because I enjoy it and I am bad at watching what I eat and it helps offset the "extra" calories. Maybe a bad strategy!
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Look into PHAT or DUP training. Good mix of strength and hypertrophy.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,098
    I appreciate your honesty. It's probably a losing strategy in the long-term. Just for kicks (and I'm not asking you to fast) check out Martin Berkhan and his clients on:

http://www.leangains.com

Berkhan's approach is typically: (1) get a handle on the amount of food you eat (3) three brief, focused strength workouts and week and (3) walking and very little else.

He and his clients are as lean and muscular as any I've see on the internet.