Geraldo Blasts FSU DA and Winston On Orielly

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Dec 6, 2013.

1. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Only a small percentage of rape claims turn out to be false, and those false claims invariably involve the accuser being angry at an ex-boyfriend for whatever reason. There's no logical motivation for an accuser to falsely report a rape when she doesn't know the perpetrator. The odds that she wasn't raped are about as close to zero as you can possibly get.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    From the standpoint of the likelihood of getting a conviction, Meggs did the right thing. All Jansen would have to do is poke one little hole in the victim's story and it all falls apart.

But Meggs handled himself like a jackass. They pretty much admitted the girl was raped, but they would never get a conviction. If so please show some sympathy for this rape victim instead of cracking jokes.
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    EXACTLY!
    " Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Everything's fine. These aren't the droids you're looking for (subtle Jedi hand gesture)."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,121
    Has anyone here read the 86 page long F.D.L.E. report?
  5. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Gators Fan Advocate VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,129
    There is sufficient probable cause.

Contrary to popular belief, this case can be re opened and prosecuted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Gators Fan Advocate VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,129
    Yes, it isn't pretty.

The victim had significant bruising on her arms and legs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,541
    That's what I'm saying. Some people think this is a case of double jeopardy or some cinema BS. If I'm Winston, I'm still nervous as hell. No different than Trevon Martin case in that if there is public outrage, watch out. There doesn't seem to be that though. I hear Sharpton is coming to this girls rescue though. Ha.
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    Not having a case is essentially saying the facts weren't there to prove that...he was guilty of something. I mean, we can blame Meggs for being a "jackass", point the finger at the Tallahassee police department for getting it all wrong, and do everything possible to make Winston out to be a monster, but it's not going to bring charges against Jameis. Of course, nobody is pointing out the inconsistencies in the supposed victim's testimony, the lack of cooperation on her part, or any other holes that led to the facts not being there to bring charges, so she's exempt from any accountability on her part for the other allegations about all that group sex they're talking about over there.

But let me tell it like it is: if I go out with the boys, we all bring our guns to a bonfire, get drunk with my .45 and blow half of my friend's face off, people aren't to excuse my foolishness; they're going to say that's what happens to idiots who don't know how to act. They're not going to talk about the peer pressure males face to exhibit masculinity, they aren't going to excuse my actions by saying that, "it's the cultural norm out there to get drunk and get wild." They're going to tell you that if you play with fire, you get burnt.

So why is it different with women and cases like this? What gives them a free pass? Why
    are they allowed to go out and be walking sex symbols, behave irresponsibly, put themselves in precarious situations with tons of single males and testosterone, and then we make them out to be the victim when they willingly engage in certain acts-like group sex. I just want to know why everybody is pointing the finger at everybody but her? Why is she the victim?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,128

Well, said another way, Meggs was saying was that he did not want to risk presenting a set of facts to a petit jury from which the jury could find a reasonable doubt about the accused - JW's - guilt, and from which the jury could acquit.

Said another linguistic way more favorable to Meggs and which is the flip side of the equation, is that he did not know whether the facts were strong enough to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

In other words, Meggs did not want to bring charges and lose at trial.

I question whether that is his decision to make . . . completely understanding the traditional privilege of the Executive branch to make these kinds of decisions, but wondering at the same time if the wrong standard is being applied. In other words, shouldn't a jury of one's peers make the final determination of guilt or innocence, if there is clearly probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed (as here) ?

Finally, as I have said before, the State Attorney could have skillfully strengthened the victim's statement - and done so within ethical bounds, i.e., without suggesting, massaging, enhancing, etc., her story - and made the case much more close, if taken to a jury. The Office of the SA does that in many, many, many (almost all, in fact) criminal cases, by asking the right questions, getting the right answers, and preparing the witness (victim) on how to best present her case when she testifies at trial.

It was not done in this one.

Why ? Moral cowardice.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +631
    Are you implying that the peers should be made up of people close to the victim/accused, or are you saying that the jury should be made up of others close in age?

If you are implying the former, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Too much tampering could occur, there would be an enormous amount of peer pressure from people around campus put on those selected to reach a decision, you're talking the possibility of multiple threats made, and it doesn't sound like there are enough people in this case with enough information to reach a decision that is absolute either way.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,128

Sorry, not to confuse. "Peers" are all members of the public who are qualified to serve on a jury.

An accused citizen is not entitled to pick jurors for his / her case, based on a particular age group, race, ethnicity, gender, or any other distinguishing characteristic. That is not what a "peer" is; many lay people make this mistake.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    The smoking gun here to me is the fact that the roof is test was not done until after it was too late to find the drug. I believe Casher and Winston both talked to her at the club. That's in the accounting. One of them gave her the shot. I thought I saw that too. I'm quite sure Casher did tape it. TToo damaging to hold onto, so that's the only reason these 2 got rid of it. So they effectively did what they intended, made sure that a rapist got away with it and saved their run at a NC.
  13. HomeGrownGator

HomeGrownGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    It's all yours.

http://www.talgov.com/uploads/public/documents/assets/news/tpd-documents.pdf

I just tried get through the whole report but got too pissed off to finish it. Gators vs. FSU rivalry aside......This jerk needs to be neutered. Claim of rape, evidence of bruising on victim (how many consensual sexual encounters end with bruises on the bottom of a woman's feet?) and positive identification with DNA match should have been enough for prosecutor to pursue the case. The state is supposed to stand up for the victim. If they don't who will? Do we want to live in a society where individuals need to seek justice by any means necessary?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,541
    To put simply, she's the victim because she's the alleged victim.

Your parallel is so non-alagous that it's borderline offensive. A woman cannot make a man rape her. She's either lying or is a victim and those are the only two scenarios. Good god man.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. noleatl

noleatl New Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    "start"? This site is famous for banning anyone with a dissenting opinion, TOS is famous for not letting you talk about some topics.
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    and that's what it's really about, protecting his win loss record

It sucks that's how the legal system is. Your win percentage shouldn't come in to play being a prosecutor in cases like this. There was enough to press charges, let a jury decide; not because one person thinks he can't win a case (maybe he's just not good enough of a lawyer to win) One person is acting as judge and jury after an, at best, botched investigation with loyalties to one side. At the very least he should have recused himself, his number 2 would have been more than capable of handling this case
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    IMO, there is no doubt this case was mishandled from the get go. The girl went to the hospital immediately, a rape allegation is no laughing matter. If,as was stated last night, he had bruises on her arms, photos should have been taken for documentation... From an outsider's perspective, it appears that the TPD and all involved went out of their way to try and make this entire issue go away.

As was stated previously, at the time of the assault, Winston was still just a RSF on the football team, not the leader of the #1 ranked college football team. Why he was not immediately questioned by the TPD is beyond comprehension, as were many things involved with this "investigation."

For a FSU grad and booster State Attorney, to not recuse himself from this investigation is questionable at best. And considering the extenuating circumstances of the accused, at the time that this became a national spectacle, just compounds the need for an "independent" investigation. Again, as has previously been stated, this doesn't pass the smell test.

As Geraldo said last night, you can be a great football player and still be a schmuck!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +631
    Wait a second: you aren't certain of which one it is. There are others who would contend that it's offensive to assume that a man is guilty, even after CHARGES WERE NEVER EVEN BROUGHT. What do you do with Casher's testimony?

How many actual "rapes" involve this type of behavior?

"Casher, Darby and Winston went to Potbelly’s around 11 p.m. and a blonde female began talking to Casher and gave him her number. Later the same female started talking with Winston and when Casher, Winston and Darby were leaving the bar, she “virtually invited herself” into their taxi, according to Casher’s affidavit.
    They went to an apartment Winston and Casher shared and the female and Winston went into his bedroom. Because the latch on Winston’s door was broken, the door remained open. Darby and Casher then watched the female give oral sex to Winston, according to the final incident report and the affidavits from Casher and Darby.

Casher watched the female and Winston take off their clothes and engage in sexual intercourse. According to the incident report, “Casher stated he went into the room to see if the female would engage in sexual activity with him as well (as has happened with other females he and Winston have brought back to their apartment).”

The female told Casher to get out. Casher later tried to videotape Winston and the female, but when the female saw Casher, she again told him to leave and turned off the lights. She then went into the bathroom with Winston.

According to Darby’s affidavit, Darby returned to his apartment 20 minutes later. At this time, he saw Winston and the same female get on Winston’s scooter. Winston returned five minutes later."

Are they lying? Were you there to disprove their testimony? What makes you so sure that the evidence ABSOLUTELY contradicts what these two reportedly SAW?

That doesn't sound like rape. You can say that my comments are "borderline offensive", but I'd argue that it's every bit "offensive" to claim that you have knowledge of a situation (which you don't), tell another person that they essentially don't have a right to express their opinion of the matter, and then boast, "Good God, man." at the end of your post to absolutely declare that my opinion is outrageous.

They've reached a decision to not bring charges. I've kept my mouth shut about this and let it play out. Just like George Zimmerman, Casey Anthony, Cam Newton, the Duke lacrosse players, and many others who were convicted in the eye of the public before the facts came out, the moral of the story is to let things play out.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,541
    I think this thing might not be over for Winston and I'm not speaking of the civil case.

If I'm Winston I an afraid of the Heisman and the NC. There are a lot of groups actively trying to get this to trial. IMO, using the Martin case as a parallel, there is more reason to move forward here than there was even in that case.
  20. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    I find it both odd and concerning that I have not found one word of criticism from anyone directed toward him by anyone associated with the Florida State program. Not one "we are disappointed in the actions and choices that Jameis made and hope that he has learned from his mistakes." Have not seen one Nole fan on social media speak out against Winston or act the least bit embarrassed by the actions of someone who is the face of their program. I was also bothered by the wording of Winston's statement to the effect of I have faith in who I am. Just who are you Mr. Winston? What an arrogant response at a time when some humility was needed.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1