Georgia student’s family disowns and assaults him in coming out video

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by SECund2nun, Aug 29, 2014.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921

What a sick disgusting family.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    The kid could have handled it a lot better but attacking him was uncalled for. These kind of scenes play out in a lot of households and many times it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It's kids and parents who can't communicate in a reasonable manner or lose their cool.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    The argument escalates more from the apparent disrespect he has for what I believe is his father than him claiming he's gay. I mean, if you hear his voice - I'm sure they had a pretty good idea he was gay before this video.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    His mother said she knew he was gay when he was a little kid, but then goes on to make the "choice" case.

I didn't read the whole thing, but apparently he'd told his parents earlier and they were at least civil about it, but then they got the grandparents and maybe some more involved to have an intervention of sorts. And then this happened.

I hate to say it because I was spoiled, having four excellent parents (step-parents) and it's easy to armchair QB it, but this kid needs to just leave and not come back until his folks get with the program. It doesn't sound like they will, since they believe they have the ultimate authority on their side. But no good can come from this.

He clearly yearns for their approval. Otherwise he'd never submit to that type of thing or insist on making arguments that have zero chance of doing anything but inflaming the situation. But it ain't happening.
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Now that I wrote that, perhaps that was grandma making the "choice" argument? Either way, bad situation for all involved. They need to split up until junior goes all unfabulous or the family goes all 21st century.
  6. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Good point. The anger is just a manifestation of the inability to get past such an emotional issue constructively. Sad, but common in many families, though obviously not limited to gay kids coming out.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    I can't watch the video in my present location, sadly, so what did this "Georgia student" come out as? A Bulldog? If so, I can certainly understand the reaction of the family even if it is over the top. If my own boy were to tell me that he couldn't get into college, so he has to go to UGA, then I like to think I wouldn't be violent, but I would certainly be upset.
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Even though it would hurt me if one of my kids were to "come out," I could never disown them. I would still love them because they are my child. Now there are people that I know that would do this......

• Like Like x 1
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,542
    I will never even come close to understanding homosexuality but my love for my children is unconditional- there is nothing Christian about how this family is handling this situation- SMH
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,371
    Even if you or I think it may be a choice....when did it become OK to dump your kids over bad choices?
    • Agree Agree x 5
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    My question to the devout Christians who just posted above me:

If you wouldn't disown your children if they were gay and refused to change, why do you believe they are going to burn in hell for it? Are you saying your capacity to love is greater than God's?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    kid is a drama queen looking for a confrontation. him being or at least acting like a douchebag and getting smacked for it has nothing to do with his sexuality. the fact that THAT conversation was being filmed on the sly says a lot.

if you want tolerance then be tolerant. sure the family is completely ignorant when it comes to sexuality, but that is their belief. why deny them their beliefs and be confrontational about it.

he stepped up a bit on the lady talking and got jacked up for it, she may be wrong about it being a choice, in most of OUR opinions and the kid's opinion......but so what? you're not going to bully anyone into accepting your beliefs.

if he wants them to tolerate his sexuality, he needs to tolerate their ignorance. add a few months or years , some civil discourse, and hes back at the family picnic giving mom, dad, and grandma a hug.

no way that was a coming out video, that kids been out for at least a decade. family told him they didnt want him living under their roof and he was all pissy about it like a typical, entitled , know it all douchebag teenager .....gay or not gay.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,542
    as long as they accept Jesus Christ as their Savior I do not believe they will burn in hell- homosexuality is a sin-nothing more and no different than any other sin
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Kind of a loaded question there. If the person is homosexual and unchristian, they're going to hell regardless of their homosexuality. If they're christian and homosexual, completely different matter.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    Spot on. If my adult gay son wants to "come out of the closet" while holding a camera in my face, I'd tell him when he grows up, he's welcome back in the house. What a drama queen.

And if any man, son or not, calls my wife a f'n bitch, you bet your ass he's gonna get slapped around. Thrown out the front door too. I wasn't raised that way and my children won't be either though.

My parents are wonderful, loving, caring people. But if I mouthed off to one like some children do these days, I'd be running from the other at the same time.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,371
    Most christians don't believe that. We believe that sin separates us ALL from God. We all have sinned and need redemption.
  17. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +898

I'm not taking sides here, just commenting on what I can gather from tone of voice.

I didn't hear a child who yearns for their approval......the contempt was clear from both sides. He was deliberately challenging and instigating them.

there was no understanding from either side.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +898
    they were more concerned about what their friends and neighbors would think rather than the well-being of their child.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Well said, Bil. I would think that it would be hard for many parents to reconcile but it's nice to hear that you would set aside that lack of understanding.

I am sad for the entire family. I am sure the parents love their child too but it seems they aren't emotionally equipped to handle it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,542
    I had a friend who's came out in the 70's- his Father never spoke to him again-sad for both
    • Agree Agree x 2