Gators going hurry up?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Loco, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Loco

Loco Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/florida-unveils-assistants-offensive-plan-221604479--ncaaf.html

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida coach Will Muschamp is in a considerably better mood these days.

Maybe it's his new assistants. Maybe it's his new offensive scheme. Maybe it's just a new year.

After the program's worst season since 1979, Muschamp made significant changes - and not just to his staff.

Muschamp introduced three new coaches Monday - offensive coordinator Kurt Roper, offensive line coach Mike Summers and special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler - and announced plans to install a hurry-up offensive scheme that will include spread elements.

''We needed more tempo, we needed to create more snaps, we needed to create more space plays,'' said Muschamp, who grew increasingly frustrated with every loss last season. ''I felt like being in the gun would help some of our personnel, and that's where we're headed.''

The Gators lost their final seven games in 2013, finished 4-8 and missed a bowl game for the first time since 1990. The offense was the primary problem, finishing 113th in the nation in total yards.

Muschamp responded by firing offensive coordinator Brent Pease and offensive line coach Tim Davis less than 24 hours after the season ended. Special teams coordinator Jeff Choate resigned in December to take a similar position at Washington.

Their replacements are tasked with helping Florida get back on track - and in a hurry.

It's unlikely that Muschamp, who is 21-16 in three seasons at Florida, will get more than a season to turn things around. So the Gators have to find some quick fixes to the offense, and going with an up-tempo scheme can be an equalizer.

''If you can play the game with some tempo and speed and you can play it in space, you can create as many 1-on-1 tackle opportunities as you can,'' said Roper, who left Duke to join Muschamp.

''If you can create a bunch of 1-on-1 tackle opportunities, then you have a chance to have positive yards, and positive yards keep you on the field. Our whole philosophy on offense is points per game. It's not yards. It's not going up and down the field. It's how many points we can get.

''Playing the game in space creates more opportunities to score points.''

Florida hasn't been the same offensively since 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow left school. The Gators ranked 82nd in total offense in 2010, 105th in 2011 and 103rd in 2012. Some believe it's a talent issue; others insist it's a talent-development issue.

Either way, Muschamp knows it has to improve.

''Philosophically, all I've ever asked is to be balanced,'' Muschamp said. ''I feel like you've gotta be balanced in this league. We've run the ball at times extremely well. ... We need to throw it better. We've said that all along. We need to be more efficient in throwing the football and certainly looking forward to that progress.''

The Gators were decimated by injuries last year, losing quarterback Jeff Driskel, running back Matt Jones, receiver Andre Debose and right tackle Chaz Green either before or early in the season.

Driskel broke his right leg against Tennessee in September and should be ready for spring practice in March. Debose will be non-contact in spring while continuing to recover from reconstructive knee surgery. Green (torn labrum) should be full speed. Jones, meanwhile, might be sidelined a while.

Muschamp said Jones had a completely torn meniscus in his left knee and will need a second surgery to repair the damage.

''It's a little more serious than a regular (torn) meniscus,'' Muschamp said. ''He will miss spring. We feel like he'll be ready to go for summer workouts.''

With all the changes taking place, there are no guaranteed starters on the roster.

''Every position's open. Every position,'' Muschamp said. ''When you go 4-8, it's all open.''

And it often leads to changes. Roper, Summers and Hutzler agreed to join Muschamp in Gainesville despite speculation that it could be a one-and-done situation if the Gators don't make a significant turnaround over the next 10 months.

So why take that chance?

''There are jobs out there when you start out in coaching and look at and think this is where I'd love to be someday,'' Summers said. ''Florida has always been that for me. I grew up in Kentucky, grew up in SEC country and have always looked at Florida from the outside wishing I could be on the correct sideline. ... The reputation of this program is strong. I've been doing it long enough to know that every program has ebbs and flows, but this foundation and the reputation of this program will always be strong.

''The things I've seen in the short time that I've been here make me encouraged that we're going to get right back to that point.''
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    It sure sounds like Roper has a plan and Muschamp is excited to see it implemented. This is as giddy as I've really ever seen him discussing the offensive side of the ball.

I'm skeptical about Muschamp as a head coach because I think last season was inexcusable on a number of different levels--but I must admit, hearing him giddy about what Roper intends to do has me excited to see what they've got up their sleeve. I do think Driskel would excell in a hurry-up, tempo offense due to his running ability and arm strength. I have to admit: watching Auburn's QB run that entertaining offense was a joy--and Driskel's a better QB in every area IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +247
    A change was clearly in order and I am glad Muschamp is excited about it, but it's a crying shame that it took three years of on the job training for us to get to this point.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,153
    I don't see Muschamp going full time hurry up. He will never allow it when he thinks his defense needs a breather. You have to wonder how much of Auburn's defensive problems relate to fatigue and lack of opportunity for in-game adjustments. Ellis Johnson is a good DC.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    You know, it would really be nice if we could talk football on these boards without some referendum on our head coach in every thread. My word. This article is full of interesting stuff, but the first response takes a shot at Muschamp. No wonder it is so dead around here anymore.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,762
    Unfortunately I don't think it's going to change unless/until we win a national championship... and even then some posters will say we were just lucky (like beating four top 10 teams and six top 25 teams was lucky in 2012).

I don't take Clay as one of those types of posters though... I think a lot of folks are still hungover/disillusioned from the 4-8 season and that probably applies with him.

But it's time to move on. Champ is our coach this year. We have some fresh blood in the coaching staff with an opportunity to help us turn the corner, and with an emphasis on offense that should utilize the athleticism we have to tap in state. If we can get/stay healthy, we should have a very talented, and relatively experienced roster this fall.

These are definitely factors that should generate hope and excitement if we can get our collective heads out of the "hang over".
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Show me the players that are going to do all this interesting stuff and I will sit back and enjoy.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  8. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    NEWSFLASH dude: we just came off a 4-8 season. The worst season in over 30 years--filled with numerous embarrassing losses. Fans have every right to be pissed at our head coach--and to voice that too.

If Muschamp is failing by his own criteria ("it's a failure any season Florida doesn't make it to Atlanta"), then we shouldn't go out of our way to lower the bar for him either (and yes, I realize we won't make it to Atlanta every year--that is expecting too much--but once every 3-4 years should be standard and Muschamp hasn't gotten it done yet). Our offense has been abysmal every single year he's been in charge here. Ranked over 100+ in each of his three seasons. We aren't FAU or FIU...this is the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA and that is unacceptable in any one year, let alone three straight.

You had better believe Foley told Muschamp "our offense HAS to improve or else you're gone" because fans are starting to stay at home in record numbers.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Muschamp can handle defense and recruiting. His career is now in the hands of Roper and the players we have.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Exactly. I think he knows that. His personal philosophy regarding possession and the clock only works when you are scoring points. He's got to let go of the leash or he is done. The talent is there. Roper is the kind of guy who can make it easier for Driskel and the receivers. Plus we should be stacked at OL and RB. With a little more luck injury wise, we should have enough depth on defense to go hurry up. If WM wants to slow things down, he needs to let Roper give us a three TD cushion by half time.

I don't know if Muschamp is a good coach or a bad coach, but I don't remember many people asking that question after the 2012 season.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Claygator

Ratings Received:
    +247
  12. Claygator

Ratings Received:
    +247
    I don't take shots at Muschamp. Unfortunately, facts are facts. When Champ came to UF, he was very specific about the type of offense he wanted to run. He ran it, and it didn't work. Now, he is completely changing his offensive strategy. Three years of offensive ineptitude (i.e. "on the job training") clearly led to that change. Those were three wasted years on the offensive side of the ball. Now, we have to hope that Roper can install his system effectively in one year, and the players can grasp it for the 2014 season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,762
    There was nothing wrong with Champ's vision for our offense. It has worked a bunch of places to win championships, and works especially well when combined with elite defensive play.

Unfortunately, there were big problems with our execution for a variety of reasons, and Muschamp has to own that. He has reacted by getting Roper, and in part to run more tempo and spread the field more.

But when's the last time we consistently executed well in any of our position groups on offense? Or even just at an average level? Doesn't matter what type of offense we run, the way we've been executing.

When Pease came over from Boise, I had visions of us executing our offense crisply and cleanly the way they usually do. Never came close to happening.

Hopefully Roper has the answer.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +787

How bout you show us what players can't/won't do all this interesting stuff. We'll sit back and enjoy....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    I agree--there was nothing wrong with the vision.

Unfortunately, most of our players were recruited for the spread and hence, implementing a pro-style offensive with a heavy emphasis on power running was always going to be a challenge. It wasn't exactly surprising to see our spread players failing to execute on the field (and especially when one considers that our previous OC weren't exactly known or lauded for player development either, particularly Weis).

The answer from there is to recruit players that fit your system. Which we haven't exactly done a great job of doing. We've gotten some elite, 5-star defensive talent in Muschamp's tenure and no one questions his ability to bring and develop those types of players here. On the offensive side of the ball, he hasn't done a great job bringing in elite talent and there have been several high-profile misses in his 3 offseasons for various reasons.

You're right: it's up to the players to execute--and they haven't been. But it's up to the coaches to make adjustments (which, though they've tried, nothing has seemingly worked) and if that doesn't work, to coach them up and develop them (which, again, I'm sure they've tried, but it hasn't worked). If neither of those two things work--then it's up to the coaching staff to bust their butts on the recruiting trail to bring in guys that can do the job. Again, to be balanced here, I know they're working hard at doing that; but they haven't really succeeded in this task.

At the end of the day, it falls on the coaches to get the job done one way or another. There is no question MAJOR changes are needed on the offensive side of the ball. It's been a comprehensive failure from top to bottom. Such failures fall on the coaches--including Muschamp.

By all means, I'm wanting him to succeed. IF he ever figures out how to manage the offensive side of the ball, he'll be an elite coach because no one questions his defensive mind and his ability to recruit, develop, and churn out NFL caliber defensive players.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Good players can play in any system.
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I've been wanting this "hurry-up offense" for years... Finally, it's here...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think most all the fans have known that the TOP/control the ball and clock, grind it out offense wasn't the answer, especially if you can't score. Glad to see the coach is also seeing the light. However, if they can get some good OL on board, you can run any offense you want.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,991
    NEWSFLASH DUDE: what does pissing and moaning in every thread do? His point was not every thread needs to go that direction. Everybody hated last year. Some just seem to handle it better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,991
    He won't; or should I say he can't.