Gators Freshman OF Merritt is Talk of Town Back Home

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GatorGrowl, May 17, 2013.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,226
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- She is 86 years old and retired from teaching more than 20 years ago, but Rosa Lee Tomberlin remains active and in touch with the small community of Lake Panasoffkee, located about 70 miles south of UF's campus in Sumter County.
    The town of around 3,500 residents is home to Gators freshman outfielder Kirsti Merritt, who last weekend introduced herself to the rest of the country with a pair of game-winning home runs in the Southeastern Conference Softball Tournament.
    Merritt earned MVP honors for her momentous performance on national television in front of the ESPN cameras.
    Back in Lake Panasoffkee, Tomberlin, who has known Merritt's family for decades, chatted up anyone who would listen her talk about the reigning Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week.
    "Every time I leave the house I see somebody I know,'' Tomberlin said Friday.
    On Thursday, five days after Merritt's two-run homer in the third inning put the Gators up for good in their 10-4 win over Missouri in the SEC Tournament championship game, Tomberlin stopped by Lake Panasoffkee Elementary School to say hello to Kelly Goodwin.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=25741
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,586
    Excellent story, thx. She's going to be something special. She already is! Man I love this team.