Gator swimmers place 3rd at NCAAs

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by ManleyPower, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ManleyPower

ManleyPower Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    Whoop whoop!!! Another good finish for the gators!
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Nice finish....but was anyone else a little dismayed that UF Mens Swimming can't finish higher than 3rd in the last 24 years? Kind of has the feel of an underachieving program in some respects. Especially when a monster point scorer like Lochte was here 4 years.
  4. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    Seriously Apk... we are 3rd in the friggin nation. No one has anointed us the birthright of being NCAA champions. The fact is that the other schools give out scholarships also .Florida swimming overall is very successful.
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    And as I said, 3rd was a very nice finish and I agree they are successful (the degree of success is the question). And as usual you seem to have the birthright of putting words in people's mouth. I don't think being dismayed over no finishes higher than 3rd in 24 years translates into me "anointing us the birthright of being NCAA champions".
    In fact, in that time frame I believe every sport except womens hoops and cross country has registered a top 2 national finish.
    Yes, other schools give out scholarships. That happens in all sports, and UF still has higher expectations. In sports like tennis, golf, track, and swimming those expectations naturally go even higher because of the natural weather advantage, better recruiting situation, higher quantity of in state talent. Additionally UF has a great tradition in the sport both on the collegiate and Olympic level. So I will remain surprised and yes, a little dismayed that this historically great program hasn't broken through in the last 2 1/2 decades.
  6. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +371
    Every school has higher expectation in their programs. We are no different than anyone else. Conversely we have not had natural advantages/tradition in basketball but we have managed quite well. Sometimes the person in charge has a lot to do with the successes.
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    What? So Miss St has the same expectations as UK in basketball, or Vandy the same as Bama in football? That makes no sense. Of course expectations vary by school and by sport, and UF should be very high in many sports, including swimming. Of course we are "different from anyone else" dependent upon the sport.
    And yes, coaching can change or far exceed expectations as Billy D has done. That's kind of my point. Since the departure of Randy Reese many years ago UF swimming has been a very good program, but not great.
  8. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +371
    Well who is great in swimming? Cal?
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Cal is very good, won the last 2 titles and a 2nd place the year before
    Auburn's Men have won 8 national championships since 1997 and and 18 SEC championships since 1994 (AU women also have 5 national titles).....UF men have 1 SEC championship and as discussed a top 3 national finish in the same time frame.
  10. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +371
    I know where you are coming from. We should at least matched up with Auburn. As u well know a lot of these kids are Euros. And if you have a great contact over there you can really clean up. Cal was able to get the kid out of Bolles , Murphy this year. who can load up a score sheet .
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    I kind of feel UF swimming (men and women) should be somewhat like UF womens tennis has been, frequently in the mix for a national title and hopefully get one here and there. This season the men were certainly in the conversation, let's see if they can sustain. My very unexpert opinion is that they recruit well, but not elite...with a few exceptions like Lochte/Beisel