Gator Player Power Rankings

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 29, 2013.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    I re-watched the game this morning and figured I'd try and rank where the players are in terms of the rest of the team. Watching the tape, we played almost flawlessly on defense. Offensively, we played really well and for whatever reason, it just looked like we didn't want to score. Anyway, here are my power rankings, feel free to discuss or even list your own...

Offense:

1. Soloman Patton: A pretty easy #1 for me. He continues to do a great job when he gets the ball, and he was open a few times last night but didn't see the ball. Even his blocking has improved. The kick returns are still "meh" but he has the quickness to improve in that area as well.

2. Jonotthan Harrison: He's a force in the middle of the offensive line. It's too bad he doesn't have the supporting cast around him, because he's not going to get as much attention when other guys are breaking through the line around him. Still, it's very evident in the run game.

3. Trey Burton: Finally seems to have found a spot at the WR position. He has great hands, is good in the open field, and gets open on short routes. Very good news going forward.

4. Max Garcia: While he hasn't been great, he's definitely been solid. He's a good run blocker, and doesn't seem to whiff on a lot of blocks.

5. Quinton Dunbar: He has surprisingly good speed. I think, unfortunately for Dunbar, we don't have the QB play to hit him consistently in the deeper parts of the field. If Murphy eventually gets there (and he seems to be close), Dunbar could finish with a huge year.

6. Tyler Murphy: Only two games in, but the guy looks poised. Outside of the one TO yesterday, he's almost looked flawless in what he's been asked to do. The key will be whether or not he can continue to make plays outside of the pocket. If he can, we may have a better offense on our hands than we were expecting.

7. Matt Jones: Made a big step forward this week. His top speed is great, but it takes him a few steps to get there. Hopefully he can continue to find holes and fall forward when he's hit.

8. Mack Brown: Even though he is losing playing time to Jones by the minute, he is taking care of the ball, and hitting the holes hard when he gets one. Needs to do a better job of creating yards on his own, or his playing time will probably continue to be taken away.

9. DJ Humphries: He's much better than last year, but occasionally, he will let guys right around the edge. I'm not sure why that is happening, but if I had to guess, it would be that he hasn't nailed the footwork yet. The talent is there, hopefully the mechanics get there too.

10. Clay Burton: Despite being non-existent in the passing game, his blocking has been exceptionally good for the position.

Defense

1. Dante Fowler: The guy is an absolute freak, and he already has a few FF and sacks. No one in the league is going to be able to block him consistently at this rate.

2. Vernon Hargreaves III: What else is there to say? He has talent out the roof, he plays with high energy, and the coaches go out of their way to praise his willingness to take advice. Sounds like a winner to me.

3. Jarbari Gorman: He played REALLY well last night, but that wasn't exactly new to him. He's been consistent all year, and could be the next big safety for the Gators.

4. Damian Jacobs: It's hard to say exactly how good Jacobs has been for us. On one hand, he doesn't make a whole lot of tackles and doesn't make many sacks. On the other, he continuously clogs the lane and takes up double teams. With the talent we have elsewhere, being able to do that is huge.

5. Jonathan Bullard: I'm still waiting for him to make big plays, but he really doesn't do a whole lot wrong. In the game last night, he was right near the QB on just about every play. Hopefully we will soon see that transition into sacks.

6. Antonio Morrison: It's kind of odd that Morrison's weakness has actually been tackling this year. For a guy that is known for big hits and making solid tackles, he's really been more of a finesse guy this year. Tons of speed for the position, and he's doing a good job in coverage and on blitzes.

7. Louchiez Purifoy: I think there is unwarranted concern over Purifoy at this point. The pass interference penalties have to stop, but you'll notice that other teams are almost never throwing to his cover man. We'll see him make some big plays soon, as opposing offenses are going to learn that Hargreaves is just as good in coverage.

8. Michael Taylor: It says a lot about Taylor that they are leaving him in the game even with Morrison there. He has been REALLY solid with his tackling, but he doesn't have the foot-speed for blitzes or to cover in man.

9. Cody Riggs: Cody the safety is much better than Cody the cornerback.

10. Darius Cummings: Similarly to Jacobs, Cummings is clogging the lanes really well. He may have more natural talent, so it will be interesting to see if he continues to gain playing time.
  2. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Nice analysis. I have Michael Taylor a lot higher up on defense. That man is a player and arrives at the ballcarrier with bad intentions... all the time. The offense has some real potential but we need consistent O-line play for the offense to blossom. I like our receivers at this point. Patton, Dunbar and Burton can be a major handful for opposing defenses if we can get the ball to them. The TE spot is still a mystery. The coaches seem to want a blocker while the rest of us want someone who can "catch" a short pass and turn it upfield for a 20 yard gain!
  3. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Thanks PTC, I could definitely see that.

And who would have guessed our WR play would have been so good at the beginning of the year?