Gator Men's Golf

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by guayo, Sep 13, 2013.

1. guayo

guayo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +610
    Really frustrated with the program last few years. Certainly can't judge by one round, especially with such a young group....but there hasn't been much positive in far too long.
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    Alexander, Wise, and Burleigh have simply gotten complacent at their posts.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +610
    Uh, Wise had probably her best coaching job ever last season....and has a real national title type team this season that is easily top 5. Can't see how anyone can complain if they follow the team.

IMO soccer had a bit of a dip but has rebounded strongly the last 4-5 years and is a consistent top 10 type program. This is a young team that looks to be good this year and very very good down the road. I think the struggle for some is that FSU has become even more "elite" and is making pretty regular final four appearances . But UF s winning the SEC and competitive with anybody. If healthy I'm betting they can be a top 4 type team next year.

Golf just isn't bringing in the talent. Falling back vs the SEC and FSU has also passed them by....something I can't recall ever happening.
  5. guayo

guayo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Apkgator,

In last place after the second round. We are behind Bama by 51 strokes after two rounds.

There is a rule that you have to be above .500 to get to play in the NCAA tourney regionals. Looks like we will start the season in a big time hole.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +610
    Not getting any better on the third and final day....buried in last place at -63 with most of the back nine still left to play.
    The UF lineup is young, but here is a sobering stat. FSU has long been an inferior golf program, but have been better than UF of late. FSU lost some talent and I thought they might step back. While they are in the middle of the pack in this tourney, they are crushing UF. And their lineup includes 2 sophs and 3 freshmen. Certainly looks like they are recruiting at a much higher level.
    Again, only one tourney, but a bad start to the year.
  7. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Finished 65 over par. Not even competitive. Very disappointing.
  8. buckeyegator55

buckeyegator55 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    time for alexander to go, with all the courses, and year around weather, no excuse to be this bad the last several years, need to find a much younger, more in touch with the players coach, although i do not know who, any names?