Gator Fans are everywhere, and that means also in IDAHO !

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Jun 8, 2014.

1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    I had a wonderful and fun experience this evening! :)

About 8:30 or so I went down to a Baskin & Robbins that's only about 1 1/2 Miles from me. They got something there I like a lot. Anyway, as usual I was wearing one of my Gator shirts. And there was a little family group that it sure got their attention. It was a young couple with a precious little one and a couple of others visiting a Mom, or maybe it was Aunt, here in Lakeland. So they were smiling at me (actually I know it was my Gator shirt, it's probably one of about 300 I got, seriously)and we struck up a little conversation and it turns out that they are big Gator fans! And I mean BIG! Of course they knew all about Tim Tebow but impressive to me they knew all about QB Will Grier, and where he was from. No doubt they saw me wearing one of about my 30 Gator caps I got. It was my newest one that I bought a couple of days at the Proud Gator here in Lakeland before I headed up to watch the Orange and Blue Spring Debut. And while there, after it was over, I got to meet Will and his Dad. And Will was kind enough to autograph my new Gator cap. Now that was interesting experience!

Anyway, they knew our new OC was Roper. They knew a lot about the Gators! They had already been to Gainesville and was very happy they could get into BHG and see the Swamp. I asked them if they knew about the Proud Gator here in Lakeland and they said they had already been there to buy stuff! :)
    I asked them if they saw the Orange Famous Jameis Crab T shirt there. Well, no. Evidently they were already sold out! So I told them if they could stay at B&R for about 10 or 15 minutes, I'd hurry home to get mine and bring it back to show them. They said OK. So I went home and got it and brought it back. They loved it! They took pictures of me holding it, both front and back!

So it was a surprise and a fun little bit of time this evening. And the last thing I told them about was GatorCountry and told them to check us out. And I think they will. So guys, be nice what you post on here. Make a good impression for me.

See, Gators are everywhere! :)
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,675
    I can attest to lots of Gators in South Dakota as well. No doubt Mike Miller had an influence but I was very surprised driving through Brookings, their Gainesville, and seeing numerous Gator flags flying from windows and in yards. Now I spent a little over two years there, and now have a home and a couple stores there, and was truly happy to see Gator apparel being worn and flown. Almost felt like home away from home.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    FYI, there's no rule that states Gator fans must only live in Florida. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    There are lots of Gators here in Los Angeles as well, which is to be expected in large metropolitan areas. I once had a California highway patrolman on motorcycle flash my car from behind, zoom around me, take his hands off the handlebars, and Gator chomp me while driving 60 miles per hour! While staying in the middle of nowhere in central California, I had people leave friendly "Go Gator" notes on my car overnight.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. phideltgator16533

phideltgator16533 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I ride my bike in some remote areas of the country. I try to wear my Gator shirt and get a "Go Gators" salute from some crazy locations. Always a pleasant surprise when you are noticed as part of the club.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    I agree and remember about Mike Miller. I think it was 1995 when our new basketball coach, Billy the Kid, was hired. And I was amazed at his recruiting of young HS guys everywhere! I was working at Orlando Airport MCO for Northwest Airlines NW, and our big hub for the Upper Midwest was Minneapolis/St. Paul MSP. Well, Billy had just recruited Mike a few days earlier and I was excited about that. So I'm checking in a couple of nice people going to MSP and connecting to a flight to South Dakota. I said to them this is great, we just got a basketball player from SD for the Gators! They smiled real big and told me they were Mike's Mom and Dad. They had come down to Florida to check out UF and the O Center and other basketball things at the campus and were now headed back home to SD.
    :)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Wish I had that experience, unfortunately I keep encountering the opposite. Ran into poodles once at Hoover Dam.

But yes Gator Nation is everywhere. The biggest road concentration of Gators I have seen has been the times I have been to DFW. Really, TX has a lot of Gators in the bigger cities.
  8. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Definitely. I lived in Texas for six years, right after graduating from UF. San Antonio and Dallas have a lot of Gators. Houston has a few. Austin, not so much (from my observation). I did play car tag with a couple different Gators driving across western Texas a few times.
  9. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    While over in Jerusalem three weeks ago... came across a guy with a Gator T-Shirt...
    A couple that we were with, he was a Gator fan and his wife was an FSU fan...
    I turned to her and said, "See... Gator Fans in the Holy City! And you know what, they don't sell crab legs over here either!"
    She was not amused...:rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorbronco

gatorbronco Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Where in Idaho are they from? I am currently in McCall, where Will Muschamp's aunt and uncle live.
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Well, I was in a Publix parking lot today, and wanting to pass in front of me was a Grandma pushing her cart. Well, of course she saw a Gator flag on my car. So she stopped, and did the Gator Chomp in front of me. In my driver's seat I did one back to her. She smiled and then started to push her grocery cart in the parking lot. :)
  12. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    The Gator Nation is everywhere. I've been on Kauai for a month and have encountered 3 so far, and work with a fourth.

Shared a laugh with one guy when he saw my Gator hat on Tunnels Beach and said "darn, I've never met you but I had to come all the way out here to meet another Gator".
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,530
    There's a lot of fans in d.c. As well.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Have had many gator encounters but here are a few of the highlights.

I was in a mall in Okinawa wearing a gator shirt the summer before my freshman year at UF and a US soldier stationed there stopped and talked to me because he was a huge gator fan. He was very excited to see another gator.

I was checking into a hotel in Maui and a couple of the employees noticed my gator shirt and mentioned one of their coworkers had a nephew named Joakim that was going to be on the gator basketball team.

I was checking into a hotel in Jamaica and the woman checking me in had a gator hat on.

This last one wasn't a random encounter but the situation that followed amused me. Bought some UF/Vandy tickets from another Gator Country poster (don't recall who) in Louisville about 12 years ago. I was with my girlfriend (now my wife) and her ~9 year old daughter. We met in the parking lot of a school and I walked to their car and handed some money and got an envelope back that had the tickets in it. My gf's daughter didn't know I was buying tickets and later told my now sister in law that I was buying drugs from someone in her school's parking lot.
    • Funny Funny x 1