GAO Launched an Obamacare Sting Operation—and Almost All Fake Insurance Applications Were Approved

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philobeddoe, Jul 23, 2014.

1. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +672
    The report suggests the health care law’s eligibility verification system isn't working.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/heal...insurance-applications-were-approved-20140723
  2. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    So - who is surprised??
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,477
    11 of 18 is "almost all"? It's 60%.

Look forward to applying this exciting new standard to every major question. "Who needs more Border Patrol agents, we catch 'almost all' illegal immigrants!"
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I saw that article on some site earlier today...figured the same as g8rnbft--"no surprise". When it came out of the gate as the biggest clusterscrew ever(predictably as well), this should be NO surprise whatsoever to anyone.

But of course the apologists and defenders of the Great Fraud will try to explain this away as 'growing pains'....'expected glitches'...'initial start up problems'...etc., same as they have been doing since Hussein took office in 08. Everything he does is explainable and excused.

More fraud is coming--just give it some more time and there could well be more nightmares over this scam to be revealed.
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,365
    First of all, it's obviously bad that fake names can get through. That needs to be fixes. Also bad that some people can be fooled into thinking 11 of 18 is 'almost all.'
    But basically, signing up a fake name for an insurance policy means that you pay premiums and get nothing in return? Doesn't sound like much of a deal for the scammer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +672
    Eleven of 12 fake online or telephone applications were approved, according to Bagdoyan. Five of six phone applications were successful, with the exception of one caller who declined to give a Social Security number. Six online applications were initially blocked by the verification system, but the investigators were able to find a workaround by going through the call center.
  7. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,477
    The least you could do is read the article you posted, particularly the second freaking paragraph of it:

Fake applicants were able to get subsidized insurance coverage in 11 of 18 attempts, according to a report from the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office. The agency conducted the sting operation to test the strength of the Affordable Care Act's eligibility-verification system.
  8. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +672
    GAO sting ............ and who other than the person setting the article on line thinks 11 of 18 is almost all? BTW .... you of all people should know how those media guys operate with their headlines. [Kalahari meerkat herders??]
  9. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,733
    Is 60% a figure really worth defending the distinction for? ACA registration is GIGO. Won't we all be happy to know that some wide percentage of plans are being purchases fraudulently (probably for non-citizens) when the on-the-fly federal subsidies are eventually upheld?
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    So - apparently you don't take any real issue with with the apparently lousy verification system of something as massive as the ACA, but you take issue because someone said "almost all" when regarding to something is really only 60%?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    11 of 12 were approved. by enrollment system. almost all in my book.
    applicants were able to get subsidized insurance coverage in 11 of 18 attempts
  12. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Look up "deflection" in the dictionary. :D The post you are referring to is shown as THE definition.:p
  13. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +672
    Well, what's your "freaking problem" with the article and what I posted .... the article says that 11/18 fake applications received subsidized insurance and 11/12 fake web applications were approved.
  14. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,365
    While there are clearly flaws in the verification, let me ask again: What's to gain by the scammers?
  15. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +672
    Really .... the leftists don't GAS that the obamacare web site lacks adequate controls to prevent fraud ... they're just going to nit pick over the article's headline.
  16. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +672
    Well, looks like people who don't qualify for subsidies under the ACA can and do get them. While not reported in the audit results ... one can wonder if an illegal alien can "qualify and receive a subsidy" because of the lack of preventive controls.
  17. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,733
    The benefit of insurance for a subsized price to which they are not entitled under the law? Was this a serious question?
  18. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,477
    Same general gripe I have with much of the right wing "media" on a significant number of points: exaggeration.

Is the fact that 60% of the applications weren't caught by the verification a good thing? Clearly not.

So why in the world would they feel the need to go "Hey, this seems pretty bad. I know, even though the facts support us on it being bad to start with, let's say something untrue to make it seem even worse!"

Is it some sort of compulsion? Because it's frankly puzzling, if the facts are on my side to start with, why I would then screw with my credibility by adding additional untrue stuff to it to bolster a claim that I could have made just as well with the accurate part.

Could I honestly say that over half of the fraudulent applications in their test were not caught? Yup.

Could I say that nearly all of the online and phone applications were not caught? Yup.

Can I say that nearly all of the fake applications were not caught? Nope, you lost the factual support there.

So, given that 1 and 2 make great headlines, sound bad, and are actually true, why in the heck would you pick the third one that isn't true to go with?
  19. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,365
    they're paying a premium for an insurance policy that they probably can't use because they don't exist. again, what do they gain?
  20. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,545

1 is too many