Gameday experience just not quite the same

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Cabanarocky, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Cabanarocky

Cabanarocky Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    The gameday experience is not what it was before the last major stadium expansion. The UAA seems to be all about money. I remember in the early 1990's when there seemed to be more blue collar fans in the stands. Now college sports is all about the money, not the fans. It is more like the NFL every day.

That being said, I do plan to renew my 3 season tickets and grow my 5 year old son up to be a Gator fan. It really is great to live in Florida and the Gators will be back on top eventually. It's just sad to see the gameday experience go down over the last 10 years or so because of the hunger for more revenue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. waldosnblvw

waldosnblvw New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Yup between the chevron and pizza commercials its a snoozefest with no music to get crowd into it anymore
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The fact that there are television ads at sporting events you're already spending to attend is really ridiculous. It's something I hope reverses itself, and it definitely takes away from the game experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    Hey now, while "Follow the Baron" is far too easy, correctly picking the winner of the "Chevron Toy Car Challenge" can add excitement to a loss. :D

I support my Gators, so I'm in the Swamp every Saturday to cheer on Maddie Mudster, Mo Muscle, and Fuller Firetruck, win lose or draw. Although that dirty play of Maddie Mudster cutting across in the infield every race signifies a troubling lack of discipline.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Cabanarocky

Cabanarocky Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Love it
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    The one benefit of having the video boards is supposed to be the ability to see replays. For some reason, they seem to forget to do the replays when something bad has happened. But the commercials and the in-your-face ads are a bit much. Everything has to have a sponsor. The worst ad has to be the garnet and gold Wells Fargo sign in the stadium.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Yes I agree. Who wants to see commercials at a live sporting event? I purposely DVR the games that I can't attend so I can zoom through the barrage of ads. Why are we promoting ANYTHING other than Gator Football at such a captive audience? Are the Athletics department officials really this greedy? Is Florida Football really in that bad of an economic state that we are going to petition the NCAA to allow to sell ad space on players jersey's next? It reeks of desperation to force feed these lame ads on people there who have ALREADY paid to see the event. This is no different than a door to door salesman prospecting for business on a Sunday morning. The only difference is, we cannot say no thanks and slam the door shut. We are being mind controlled and pimped for profit by corporate America, even at the supposedly amateur level of college sports. Oh well, I guess I need some overpriced Chevron fuel to go get me some artery clogging, non-nutritious, enriched flour, covered with ultra processed dairy and sodium-riddled tomato sauce.
  8. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    It's mostly the product of 5(+1 2 pm) Noon games this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    I remember there being a fence between the Florida and Georgia sections at the old Gator bowl. Lol. Certainly more blue collar fans in the past.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,718
    They're showing commercials at the games?

That's what I would like, instead of having to watch erectile dysfunction commercials on TV I could go see them at The Swamp.
  11. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,233
    Not only that, but just tailgating has become somewhat of a hassle with the police trolling looking for trouble. I just want to enjoy myself with my family and friends. Other venues I have been to the police are much more friendly and don't hassle you like they do in Gainesville
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikechap93

mikechap93 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    This thread motivated me to at least look up how to get involved with the UAA. I've grown up a gator fan and now as a student I'm depressed knowing how far fan excitement has fallen.

I'm lazy but hopefully I stay motivated on this and get involved and I would love to build more (student) excitement to the swamp. The noticeable drop off over the years just makes me envy the students that were here in the spurrier days (not that I was old enough to remember a ton back then)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I still have a great time at the games because it's fun to meet people, drink, eat, and laugh (not as fun losing, but this year aside...), but I don't have a lot of past experiences to compare it to.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cabanarocky

Cabanarocky Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    They used to also sell Coca-Cola. Sigh...
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    When the north end zone was completed the shift took place, BHGS was electric, bama , Tennessee games come to mind, then fsu in 1991. Then the HBC named it the swamp and for about 10 years it was unmatched as a game day experience. Sure there has been exciting games and quality atmospheres with tebow and winning 2 titles. But it's not the same. A lot of old time gators that wore the "bent trucker hats" had toothpicks in their mouths and would give their tickets away just to make someone's day or to insure a gator sat in the seats are gone. The student section may for the most part be actual students instead of the 16-25 young people that were here years ago. Who cared who had a student ticket, they all looked the same. Look at the last few years....student section is dwindling. All of the factors, smarter students, lack of interest, game times, no cell service all keep them away.

When I look around and see rows here and there of empty seats and thousands upon thousands of FSU fans sitting on west side it says a lot...we likely will never get back to the glory days f the early 90,s and the Uaa will continue to do little things that make your head shake, kids get kicked out for standing on a seat, squeezing in, etc. I've seen the upd go after students at just about every game. I also miss the days when after the game thousands of empty liquor bottles were everywhere....and I don't remember as much fighting as I see today. I liken it to going to bucs games at tampa stadium....as a kid you would walk up with extra tickets and just give them away....then Ray jay came along and the mood changed....swamp looks the same, but the energy and feel of game day is a distant memory.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,222
    M. Mudster CHEATS in every race and NEVER gets penalized for it. Sad state of affairs in cartoon racing.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 31g8r

31g8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Don't forget the weather segment in the first quarter on the big screen. Yeah its gonna be hot duh, we are sweating like crazy already.

No doubt that the UAA has a hand in neutering the home field advantage we used to claim. Momentum rarely lasts through a timeout because we introduce anyone with a pulse connected with the athletic program during the first 3 quarters. this trend of sharing the football limelight with others started 20 years ago in the high schools during football pep rallies.

Do other schools promote everything athletic during timeouts? On tv USCe last sat. Nite was rocking before the comercial and still going after tv returned. Maybe JF needs to overhaul the stadium programming to give us a better competitive advantage.

Until we put the college fan experience back in gamedays at the swamp the newcomers will never understand why only GATORS used to get out alive.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    i think its machen. he wants UF to be the harvard of the south.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cabanarocky

Cabanarocky Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    It's becoming more like an NFL game, just without the beer.
  20. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    This is the worst, Pepsi? PEPSI at a Gator game? "born in the Carolina's..ACC country" PEPSI?

An Abomination!