Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Nov 16, 2013.

1. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Can play in 10 games before taking a medical RS. Looks like from the outside this could be where both are headed. Eli appears to be really struggling with the leg still. I think for his long term health & eligibility, he ought to RS. It's only been 9 months since he broke it. Common sense prevails here-take a RS. Fl will have depth once Scottie returns & slides into the SG slot with Fraz. DFS can play 2,3, 4 & 5 positions, DeVo at the 2 or 3. Once Harris & C. Walker eventually join the team & shake off the rust, the Gators will be fine.
    Just have to keep everybody healthy as we move into the season. Also, need gas in the tank going into the tourneys. Didn't have a full tank last season as we moved into April.
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I mentioned PY in my last point. He had a very good bounce back game.
  3. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    You channeled my exact thoughts. At this point Prather, DFS & Young/Yeguete looks like our best lineup.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,154
    He looks fine--much better than a year ago. His shot isn't there, but his defense is very good, he is effective in the press, and he seems to know where to go with the ball. Walker is also adjusting to a different position at the two after playing mostly the four last year due to injuries. If he can give us a couple of short shifts worth of defense, ideally in units with Wilbekin, Finney-Smith, and Prather to give us some better floor spacing, then it will help the rotation a great deal.
  5. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    1. We need a low-post scoring threat. We do not have one.

2. DoDo is everything I was hoping he would be, and considering that was his first game and it came while he was recovering still from a flu, it was mighty impressive.

3. Hill looked better. I think he'll be even more of a treat when he has Scottie to share minutes with.

4. I know Prather, Hill and Dodo deserve a lot of attention, but Kurtz needs to be recognized as a player who has really saved our butts so far this season.

5. Great adjustment at half time.
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
  7. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Walker, in addition to improving his shot, needs to take better care of the basketball to earn playing time against better opponenents.

He has seven turnovers on the season along with just four points and two assists.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,154
    We won't have a post threat if teams are sagging three defenders in the paint. You have to force them out on your guards. In spite of that, however, Young and Yeguete combined for about six baskets on low post opportunities.
  9. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    At 6' 8", DFS will get into the rotation at the 3 and 4. He is a good rebounder. He played a lot with Prather.

This team is exciting. This team is nothing like last years team. We are really attacking the basket and finishing. Very athletic. Also, we have a bunch of guys who handle the ball really well.
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Appreciate reading these comments since I missed the game* :angry:

DFS sounds impressive. Can't wait to see him in action. :happy:

I'm a little mystified by the muted comments on Hill who apparently played better than the first game. I was absolutely jacked by what I saw from Hill in the first game! We haven't had a player that good with the ball in the open court since Jason Williams IMO.

Maybe he came in with so much hype, it's just kind of understood.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,154
    I think it mostly has to do with how surprising Finney-Smith's play was. The odd thing about Hill is that he can fill up a stat sheet so quietly. He isn't stepping back and hitting a bunch of threes or taking steals coast to coast or tossing lobs or anything. But he was outstanding last night, even in the first half when we were struggling. He created scoring opportunities with this defense, found the open guy, had some creative finishes at the rim, and was a demon in the press. If we weren't so ineffective shooting in the first half, he might have picked up 3-4 more assists. Once he starts hitting his jumpers, the kid is going to explode.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I think we will see instances where DFS initiates the offense, like Chandler used to do from time to time. Maybe not a ton, but some. I was supremely impressed with his all-around game. We got a good one.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    We got the best kind of transfer. A talented kid who played a ton as a true freshman in a major conference, came to UF, got a year in our system, and gets (I hope) 3 years with us.
  14. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Excellent point and throw in his coach was fired so he was not necessarily disgruntled at his prior program.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,154
    Even better: we recruited him as a prep and were close to getting his commitment in the first place, so we have known him well for about five years.
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    I forgot to follow-up the asterisk (*) in my earlier post :awkward:

I missed the game, because my on-screen Guide on tv showed the game on from 4:00 to 6:00 pm here in Seattle (7:00 to 9:00 pm on the east coast) on one of the ESPN Full-Court stations on Comcast cable. :fuming:

I was planning to flip back and forth between the UF basketball & football games. When the BB game didn't come on, I double-checked this site and saw the game was already over. :angry:

I'm wondering if I should call Comcast for a refund or just to complain. Did anyone else get burned by the bogus schedule on the tv? I wonder how widespread the mistake was.
  17. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Barring injury, he won't be here 3 years