Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bakaduin, Nov 16, 2013.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    Sluggish first half with a lot of shots that rimmed out and some poor free throw shooting. Boy what a different team in the 2nd half.

1. I am so glad Casey Prather didn't transfer. 10 of 11 shooting with 5 rebounds 5 assists a block and a steal. It is amazing how far he has come since his freshman year. He is so explosive and had a monster dunk.

2. Kasey Hill quietly played an outstanding game. Scored efficiently and had 6 assists to go with 0 turnovers. Had 5 steals on defense as well.

3. DFS was the guy weve been waiting for and 17 pts and 9 rebounds in 16 minutes is quite impressive. He was so smooth and shot from 3 effortlessly. If he continues like that we will be fine from 3 with him and Frazier.

4. Devon Walker works so damn hard and was getting frustrated out there with his misses. I'm really pulling for him because you can see how bad he wants it.

5. Eli Carter isn't close to the player he was. The injury is clearly still influencing his game and I am sure being in a new system doesn't help. I hope he redshirts at this point.

6. Great game on the boards for PY tonight. Had some aggressive rebounds and shot the ball a bit better from everywhere but the charity stripe.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Agreed on all points. As I mentioned in another thread, Prather is really making a Parsons-like senior transformation. He is letting everything come to him and playing within his skill set. His lack of shooting range or passing skills means we are a little limited with him at the three trying to run some of our stuff unless we have space in the paint, which is why I love him at the three with Finney-Smith, but think things are just a little too clustered in there next to Young and Yeguete. Not enough space for Prather to work. That's why I like him getting some minutes at the four and letting DFS slide over to the three next to the Young/Yeguete pairing.
  3. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    My view on your points:

1. Prather has been key during this time of suspensions. I want to see how he does when his athleticism edge is less. He was solid on defense.

2. Hill did bounce back with a nice game, but of course was lost a few times on defense.

3. I agre on Finney-Smith. I would not be shocked if on Monday he plays like Frazier did today. Often a player who has been ill plays well his first game back, but struggles with fitness or lethargy their next few games.

4. It would be nice if D.Walker had some offensive success in the next couple of games and solidified himself as the 4th guard.

5. Yeah, Carter just does not seem to trust his leg.

6. Young was solid on the boards. He also ended up pretty good from the field.

Additionallly, I am becoming concerned about Yeguete. He seemed fine in the exhibition. Since them his nose for the ball has not seemed to be the same to me.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    He is just working himself back into shape. Probably nothing to be concerned about. He still playing a few too many minutes for longer stretches than we would like. That's one reason I think Donovan said he should have given Kurtz some time in the first half.
  5. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    score indicates we played much better in the 2nd half and without major contributions form Frazier. Thats good news.
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Wow, what an addition to the team Finney-Smith is, on both ends of the court and all points in between. It's going to be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup.

We're soon going to have two groups of five each that could each be an NCAA-tournament caliber team. After an extremely sloppy first half, we saw a glimpse of how good this team can be. UALR didn't look like a bad team to me, so it's not like pounding one of those low-major scrub teams.
  7. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    No thoughts on Young?
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,414
    Young had 10 points to go with 8 boards and 2 blocks. Pretty good game and he seemed to play with more authority under the basket. He is a guy I just pull like hell for since he seems to be such a great young man.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Definitely more authoritative on his rebounds tonight. He really went and got a few of them, particularly in that second half when we turned up the D and stretched the lead.
  10. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    ^ Needs to keep improving his FT shooting (0-4 today, that's gonna kill his average FT%). However, I liked that mid-range jumper that Young hit. I just wonder if Young could shoot better if he was actually facing & looking at the basket rather than blindly tossing up off-balanced hook shots with his back to the basket. PY almost had a double-double (10 pts, 8 reb) in the limited minutes (23 min) that he played.

Impressive debut by DFS - most impressed by the 5 OFFENSIVE rebounds.

Outstanding start to the season for Prather; can you believe that CP is the leading scorer for the Gators?

Regarding guard depth, Florida could really use Scotty Wilbekin soon.

And finally, nice assist by Billy Donovan - was a little disappointed in him missing the 3-pt shot. :laugh:
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Like Donovan said at the half, so much of our success in the post is making the right read on the entry pass. When they are sagging in the paint or gapping the passing lanes, you can't keep forcing entry passes. It results in either a turnover or a bad shot attempt because Young isn't in position to make a move. But when they got it to him early in the possession or after a ball reversal, he converted.
  12. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    I am interested in this matchup with Southern, and not just because it's my alma mater, but because they do have some good athletes on their team that can challenge us at certain positions.
  13. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Young had a good day, 10 points, 8 rebounds. Had a couple of nice inside-out passes I liked too. I think he had a couple of blocked shots and played without fouling. This was against a lineup that had some length.
  14. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Walker looked the most comfortable I've ever seen him on the court yesterday. His minutes will start to diminish as guys come back, but I won't worry when he's put in the game against good competition.
  15. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Team is growing and learning to play together. This bodes well for the season. The second half was a glimpse of some of the great play we are going to be entertained by.

I sure hope Chris Walker can come in and lend some more athletic entertaining moments.
    With Will Y. trying to overcome multiple surgeries on a knee, he is solid and tough, but Chris and DFS lend fresh legs and jumps. Not forgetting about Wilbekin, he is a tough defender and his shot was getting better last year. Would be nice to see this line-up for about 4 minutes to be our shock troups:

Hill, pg, Wilbeking 2g, DFS SF, Chris W. PF, P. Young C.

No Cent. Fla, Fla. Atl., GC, Jacksonville, Stetson, Southern, Miami or FSu, none could handle this line-up. The SEC teams will get their chance once hopefully, Harris rounds into shape, Chris Walker hopefully makes it in and Scottie gets back. This full compliment of players rounding into a team for the SEC grind/tournament/NCAA tournament, could be a year to remember. The stars are in alignment!:yes:
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    A couple of comments regarding the excellent points made in this thread, until Wilbekin gets in the lineup, we will not see this year's Gator team.

I too hope that Devon Walker is able to start hitting shots. Recall that one reason Billy D pulled his redshirt was that in practice, he was shooting over 40% from the 3-point stripe, as well as his other team-based contributions, including good defense and solid rebounding.

Will Carter and Graham both redshirt? Really seems like a possibility at this point.

One more comment - One thing this team needs in addition to Wilbekin is as much "Snakiness" as is feasible.
  17. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    what's the redshirt rule in bball? bc both have played already and i take it by walkers minutes last year, it doesn't take much to burn a rs
  18. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    The normal redshirt is gone after a second of playing time. A medical redshirt can be used if they played in less than 30% of the season's games due to an injury (leg for Carter, hip for Graham).
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,201
    Walker is still rushing his shot on offense, needs to just take what the defense gives him

Rooting for the kid, would hate to burn a potential redshirt if he can't contribute significantly this year once the rest get back
  20. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    I thought all redshirts were medical