Gallup: Republicans more proud to be American than Democrats

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jul 4, 2013.

1. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    How about the First Lady?

Not really sure if she's still so proud to be an American--certainly didn't seem to be, when she wasn't the Queen princess, elevated above all other peons, save her hubby.

(...and being *incarcerated* in the lap of luxury, n all....). :devil:
  2. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "Yes, we saw it before and im content to say it's irrelevant to this topic and is a different type of pride. Also, i dont think repeating it isn't going to convince anyone."

pride is pride---and there is only one type. What matters is degree.

The degree to which GOP/Cons appear to have in recent years is near, same, or even more than the arrogant pride of GOP during McCarthy years----which was a vice

Just because the thing being prideful of is 'patriotism' does not mean that the pride can not reach the level of being a vice.
  3. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494

oldgator unknowingly confirmed your thesis, moc.

You see, old, the very reason that people including me, and I'm not a Republican, oppose Obama is BECAUSE he wants to CHANGE our country "INTO" something we can be proud of. I was proud of America LONG BEFORE Obama came along. It is implied that Obama, you and the other "liberals" or "progressives" DON'T love America as she is and NEED to change her into something you can be proud of. You inherently hate our country and are ashamed of it, so you feel compelled to change it into your vision of what it should be. And your vision is quite different from the one created by our Founding Fathers.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Disagree.

Here's a quote for you as well from the Avett Brothers: "I want to have pride like my mother had, but not the kind in the Bible that turns you bad." (From the song, "The Perfect Space")
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    that may be what is being preached. But is not consistent with the actions and attitudes of many Republicans.

You know as well as I that just because something may be preached in a church(or in a country music song), mosque, synagogue, etc does not mean that it carries over into members of the congregation in their everyday lives. That when mob mentality takes over the good book goes out the window.
  6. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    instead of arguing on the matter of pride, Here is something we can all benefit from. If it is done.

If you are of a religion. Simply write an anonymous note to your minister, rabbi, etc with the three following questions
    1. Is it possible for pride in own religion, own country, etc get to such a degree that it becomes a vice?
    2. If yes, how does a person look at themself to determine whether or not their pride in something has become a vice? And how to deal with that vice.

If you don't have a religion, simply get in touch with a minister, rabbi, etc near you who have a degree of trust in. And ask the same question.
  7. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788
    Then why do you bitch oh so much?
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,813

Or it's that we know that Obama is an incompetent community organizer that has slavery on his mind... slavery to the government for all Americans to appreciate.
  9. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Gatorrick, what you posted isn't a fact---it's your opinion.

sadly, you and others don't respect that there is a difference between fact and opinion. Just because you say that you 'know' is not proof of fact. It is simply you trying to con people that an opinion is a fact---it's not.

all you do with such BS comments is
    ---rally con base
    ---set liberal base that much more firmly against you
    ---and alienate moderates and independents

you're helping libs recruit more than you'll likely ever know

it's that sort of prideful arrogance you display that supports my statements in a number of my previous posts on this thread
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,940
    Pot meet kettle.
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    nice try. I don't attempt to spin opinion into fact.

LittleBlue----you might want to desist from throwing such a personal attack(insult without evidence to support it). The moderators in recent days have taken a stand against such tactics.

now try to stay on topic---- pride.
  12. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,940
    Pride? Youve got plenty for the both of us.
  13. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    It appears that some posters in this thread are attempting to steer away from the topic of pride. And resorting to personal attacks against posters. I refer to insult comments made towards posters without supportive evidence for their comment.

That is just the sort of action someone with pride to the point of arrogance(in other words ---pride becomes a vice) may do. And is evidence of such prideful arrogance(vice) if such conduct is on an ongoing basis.

many of the comments by cons in this thread basically support my comment regarding pride can reach the point of vice when their posts demonstrate an attitude of arrogance , use of baseless attacks, etc.
  14. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Yes, liberals are the party of intellectuals.

Too funny.

:sick:
  15. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    there are many attitudes/types of actions that are those of a person(or group) in which pride has shifted from being a virtue to being a vice(prideful arrogance)

two are the following
    ---an attitude of 'my way, or the highway'---frequently seen in comments of ultra libs and ultra cons.
    ---the attitude of 'the needs justify the means'---examples include law breaking in society, and rule breaking on message boards to reach their goal. Such things as breaking rules regarding intimidation, personal conduct, attacks on others, etc.
  16. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Old, I would suggest clicking out of this thread while you are way behind. Try another thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    As i said in another post, both sides complain just as much as the other. For any liberal to complain about conservative after the nonstop bitching, which in my opinion was still considerably worse than any whining now, is just hypocritical.
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Old, a culture of elitism, especially on the intellectual front, has always stemmed from the left. Elitism which ia essentially based out of arrogance - but yet, you make no mention of that.
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,298
    you don't think the constant claims of superiority from the right are elitism at all?
  20. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Your statement makes no sense. The side that continually gripes about everything is the Left, although they don't so much complain about what "America has turned into" as they do about what it has always been.

Why do you persist in this false claim you are continually making that Conservatives are bigger complainers than Liberals, when dissatisfaction with the status quo is the very essence of the Liberal ideology?

What are slogans like, "Hope and Change," and, "Yes We Can," if not complaints? Hopeful about changing what, exactly?

Yes we can...do what, exactly? What needs to be done, if you don't have any complaints about the way things are?

What did 0bama mean when he told his supporters, "Vote! Voting is the best revenge!" Revenge for what, exactly?
    • Like Like x 2