GalaxyS4 vs. HTC1

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Chompsuey, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    I've been reading up on the differences on these two phones and was wondering if any tech savvy people have some input to help me decide. I'm getting rid of my iphone5 and have narrowed my choice to these 2. I like the look of the HTC but I'm leaning towards the S4 due to the fact it has a slot for a SD card. Thanks in advance!
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    No tech input here but I do have the s4 and love it. All the gimmicky stuff from the commercials I hardly use but the phone itself is awesome. Great battery life, fast, good call quality and takes really good pics.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I hate any phone with some UI over stock Android, but of those two I'd probably take HTC's over Samsung's.
  4. FloridaxGators1

FloridaxGators1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    It really depends what your looking for.

Galaxy S4
    + Removable Battery
    + Micro SD Card Slot
    +/- 5" Super AMOLED (1080p) HD screen (Provides deeper blacks but has alot of contrast)
    + Software features like Eye tracking and Smart Pause which will pause a video your watching when you look away from the screen.
    + 13 Megapixel Camera
    - Plastic build quality
    - Sound. Many say the speakers are very good but compared to the HTC One, its no contest.

HTC One
    + INCREDIBLE build quality.
    + HTC Zoe
    + Dual Front Facing Speakers
    + 4.7" Super LCD 3? 1080p HD screen (Provides bright whites)
    +/- 4 "Ultra" Pixel Camera
    - No Micro SD Card Slot
    - No Removable Battery

Since your coming from an iPhone 5, I would get the HTC One. The transition should be easier since they both have similar builds. I use the Galaxy S3, and if I had the chance to upgrade, I would get the HTC One even though im looking for a bigger screen phone. I cannot stress how good the One feels! Dont get me wrong, Samsung is no slouch either. The software features on the GS4 that people say are "gimmicks", I actually find quite useful. Ultimately its going to come down to you going to a store and holding each in your hand and deciding off that.
  5. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    This. I just bought a Nexus 4 and don't think I can ever go back to TouchWiz (Samsung) or Sense (HTC) after using stock Android. Not to mention I get every new version of Android first.

The Nexus 4 is the best phone I've ever used, the only issue I have which is kind of a major one is that it doesn't support LTE.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Nexus 5 will be released this year, supposedly a LTE-supported device. I'm on T-mobile so the Nexus 4 is fine with "4G" HSPA+, but I'll definitely be upgrading.

But yeah, all of the carrier UIs are terrible and if you spend any time in stock you'll figure that out really quick.
  7. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Any idea if I can run a hotspot app like foxfi on the devices for my tablets? I'm not able to with the iphone.
  8. FloridaxGators1

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I know on the non nexus devices, you can't use WiFi hotspot unless your root your phone or ad WiFi hotspot on your plan. Nexus devices like the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus can do it without all that hassle.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yep, another reason to go native Android - you get all the bells and whistles.
  10. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Is your answer to the nexus 4 or the S4/HTC1?
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I guess I'd go with the HTC One, but I'd clear it and put stock Android on.
  12. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Thanks for all y'alls help. I will get the HTC.
  13. FloridaxGators1

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Well you COULD get the HTC One Google Edition. Its the same as the original sense HTC One only with stock android on it. You'll have to pay a pretty penny though.
  14. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Would it be better for me to get that one? If I can use a phone as a wireless hotspot, open zip folders, and use Microsoft exchange then the price really isn't a factor.
  15. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Here is the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/devices?hl=en

That is where you get the Google edition phones (Nexus 4, HTC One, SGS4)

Personally, I'd get the Nexus 4. You need to have a GSM carrier to get the phone (AT&T or TMobile) and you just throw your SIM in it (you'll need a Micro SIM). The N4 is an extremely fast phone, one of the fastest you can get only knocked off by the S4 and One. Being that it's THE Google phone you get every new version of Android as soon as it comes out. It has stock Android which as orangeblue said is very, very nice. The only issue I've said the phone has is the lack of LTE, but if you use Wifi a lot it isn't really even a big deal or if you're on TMobile, from what I understand TMobile has pretty fast 4G. I am on AT&T and their standard 4G (HSPA+) isn't very fast.

As for the S4 and the One, if you're going to get them I'd for sure get the Google Edition ones as long as price isn't an issue. These phone are faster than the Nexus 4, they have LTE but they're expensive. Even though they're Google Edition phones, they do not get new versions of Android as soon as they come out like the Nex4, but they'll get them faster than the standard carrier versions of the phones.

So for the price points: you pay $600 for the HTC One Google Edition, $650 for the SGS4 Google Edition, or $300 and $350 respectively for the 8GB and 16GB Nexus 4.

At the end of the day though it is your decision to make. You can't go wrong with any of them, as all 3 are amazing phones. It really comes down to price. The Nexus 4 is one of the fastest phones available and is priced ridiculously low and is a steal. The One and S4 are priced much higher, but they're both amazing phones. Like I said, it's your decision and you really can't make a 'wrong' choice here.
  16. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    Ok I went and looked at the phones. In order to turn them into a hotspot AT&T wants to allow me 5 gig for $20 but take away my unlimited plan. Not happening. They also offered a hotspot box for $50 a month for 5 gig. They said if I get caught using my phone as a hotspot with my unlimited they will take my unlimited away. I have some friends with Verizon and sprint that have unlimited and use their phones as a hotspot. Any suggestions on how to get the unlimited hotspot with AT&T or do I change providers?
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    T-mobile

Nexus 4

done. You have no contract, you get the "unlimited" data and you can use your phone however you like (as a mobile hotspot if you feel so inclined).
  18. FloridaxGators1

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I agree with this... But one quick question... Is the T-Mobile Nexus 4 locked down like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was? Or is it completely stock with no bloatware?
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Honestly, I haven't seen the Tmobile version. I've only seen the one you buy from the play store.
  20. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205