Gainesville's Good Old Days of Radio, Rock n Roll & Entertainment

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by HallGator, Mar 4, 2018.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,739
    I was guessing that was University looking toward Main Street, but as old as I am, it didn't look that way when I got to town. But that's what it is. Took me a while to make sure. :oops:
  2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,983
    The CD, Arrow to the Sun, was recorded at Black Bear Studios in Gainesville. The band was comprised of local talent, all UF graduates, save the bass player. The vocalist and violinist is my daughter-in-law. Her husband, my younger son, was on drums and my older son played percussion and keyboard. Lead and bass were good friends of my older son.

Unfortunately, the group disbanded last May when my younger son and daughter-in-law moved to Oakland for new jobs. Dang engineer thought a job with Tesla might be an interesting opportunity.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,983
    Link: Ism

This is a link to my older son’s group, which was based in Orlando. He’s a UF alum who’s pursuing music as a career.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +46,391
    [​IMG]

Tom Petty in Lode England
    • Like Like x 6
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +19,895
    glad you are back :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,703

Me, too. This place is a lodestone for us Gator Country addicts. Too many attractions to stay away. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,703
    Dub's - The Short Story

Last Call at Dub’s

By Bill DeYoung
    Gainesville Sun 1/16/91

After nearly three decades as Gainesville's one seemingly indestructible rock 'n' roll nightclub, Dub's has passed into history. The square cinderblock building on NW 13th Street, which drew record crowds for 26 years under one man's astute management, is on the auction block.

"I tried to hang in there as long as I could with it," says Christy Thomas, who took over the business a year ago following the death of her father, James "Dub" Thomas, longtime patriarch of the bar. "But there's no sense in trying to ride a dead horse." Taxes, she says, sunk the good ship Dub.

The trouble began in the late '80s, when Dub overextended himself by buying up several other local nightspots. Instead of expanding his empire, he got into tax trouble. At the time of his death on Jan. 9, 1990, Christy says, he was in hot water with the Internal Revenue Service. A burly Californian who came to Florida in 1964, Dub Thomas bought the building — in what was then a little-developed section of Gainesville — after cleaning up in the fast-food business via the In-and-Out hamburger chain.

Mudcrutch, which underwent several severe personnel changes during its long tenure at Dub's, nearly didn't get the gig at first because they played too much original material. Learn some covers, Dub told them, and I'll put you on stage. They did, and Dub did, too.

The picture of Dub below was taken after he had lost 100 pounds, give or take. When I knew him he had a beer belly that made him look 9 plus months pregnant.

Read more at
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1