Gainesville Super Regional: Game 2 UAB vs Florida

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by spuglio, May 26, 2013.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Yes.

UF/UT will be Game #2 on Thursday afternoon.

Oregon/Nebraska vs Washington will be game 1 at noon EDT

Understandable the other side of the bracket is the night session. Better TV matchups and of course the sentimental choice of #1 OU.
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    ESPN will drool over OU this entire CWS. With them being #1 almost all season, finishing something like 52-4 , and being the actual home team, don't expect too much about other teams. Then throw in those tornados right near Tulsa, all the other 7 teams are 'just there.'
  3. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Obviously they have overachieved to have gotten to this point in the season.

Players and coaches did a lot to get them to this point in time.

Umpiring is bad and will always be bad. There is nothing no body can do about. If you view any of these games the last several years there seems to an emphasis on the north/south of the strikezone while decreasing the strikezone going east/west on the plate. It seems in the past the pitcher got the benefits of a huge strikezone but now that obviously does not exist anymore as you practically have too throw it directly over the plate now. If the ball hits a corner it is technically a strike but right now the corner strike does not really exist on a consistent basis anymore. If Rodgers is too have any success this week she is going to need that east/west strikezone allowing to get those corners called.

In looking forward to this week, in my opinion they are now going to have a very difficult time and would not surprise me if they go 0-2 if they play the way they did the last 3 games even though if they did play to their full potential meaning they are hitting on all cylinders then they could certainly get through their bracket but again I'm not expecting anything this week.

The youthfulness and inexperience certainly got them through the SEC tourney several weeks ago because you saw it in their play but the last three games you have certainly seen them play very, very tight.

And that is the main concern I would have going into this week. Even though they apparently did not openly talk about getting to Okie City, during pregame of the first game yesterday on the jumbotron scoreboard they were playing brief last year highlights of the WCWS while our players were warming up in the outfield throwing balls. Every single one of them stopped for 3-4 minutes just view the highlights and at that point you could tell these games were going to have a level of pressure and tightness that was going to make these games more difficult than it should be. You saw errors in the field the first game which you never saw during the year, you saw players over swinging at the plate both games, you saw some players pressing too much, and you also saw questionable coaching decisions in both games - all a function of playing and coaching tight and basically trying to drag the team across the finish line of getting to next week.

A little luck winning both of these games but if work hard enough I like to think that you create your own luck and at some point figure out a way to win in the end.

Again you can't ask for anything else from these players the rest of the way. Coming from last year to this year is a complete 360 degree turn in a positive direction.

I will say if they do win this first game against UTooth and look decent doing it then things should get real interesting but is this team capable of matching up with OU right now - probably not however that type of matchup wouldn't happen until the finals of the tourney.

If they want to do anything this week they need to play loose and quit over swinging at the plate. Make contact and put the ball in play. And whenever you get runners in scoring position you need to get those runners in a lot better then what we saw this weekend. Playing tight will get you ousted real quick this week. Just remember you were not supposed to do anything this year - go play, go play loose, let it all hang out, and just see what happens.

It is a good and bad trait of this team - they play to the level of their competition - and the level of competition moving forward will be really high.
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Bear manages to make a trip to the College World Series sound like a total downer.
  5. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    The tornadoes were near OKC and Norman (OU campus) not Tulsa.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Gator Country
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    i think he's relieving any sort of pressure or expectation(s) on the team.

just go out there and have some fun competing - and see what happens. play w/ some urgency, but don't let the moment or setting or circumstance overwhelm 'you'.
  7. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    LOL! Bear isn't a glass half full kind of guy. He isn't a glass half empty kind of guy either. He's a shattered glass kind of guy.

Don't pay any attention to Bear, Ladies. Go out to Oklahoma; enjoy the experience; and have fun playing the game that you obviously love on its biggest stage. You have exceeded our every expectation, made us proud, and, as some wise poster said, "The rest is gravy." Oh, and take that coach who makes those "questionable coaching decisions" with you. I think that he might know a thing or two.
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Nebraska just beat Oregon in game 3, so our half of the bracket has a 7 (UT), 11 (Wash) and 14 (Nebraska).
  9. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I think we have a good chance against every team left in this tourney except Oklahoma. I've seen them play multiple times and they deserve all the hype and accolades they receive. On paper, they are on another level from everybody else this year.

But if we are lucky enough to get to the championship series, anything can happen.
  10. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Close enough.

And maybe ASU/Michigan will take out OU.

Sent using mindstream from my car:

[​IMG]
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Our four experiences in Oklahoma City were all a little different. The only time I remember thinking we really should have walked away with the title was the second year, when we fell to UW and Lawrie in the title series (that was the Ali Gardiner walk-off grand slam season). We blitzed through the pre-title series rounds, then ran right into a great pitcher doing her best work. And even then we were a few inches on an Enea drive from tying the game in the seventh.

The first year we lost the first game to a great pitcher, which happens and puts you into a hole. And even then we came achingly close to forcing our way into the title series.

The third year we were good, but it was the first season post-Stacey Nelson and probably did as well as could be expected. That was also the series where the umpires all decided to make an example out of Stephanie Brombacher for illegal pitches.

And our fourth year the result seemed pretty just. We were clearly the second-best team in OKC that year. We just couldn't beat Arizona State. Went 0-3 against them in the WCWS. Undefeated against everyone else, including breaking Kelsi Dunne. Escobedo was great, but the bigger issue was that Rogers and an injured Brombacher just didn't have anything to get the ASU hitters out.

It's hard not to wonder a little about what last year might have been. Not just the problems with the Fagans and Coyle, but the injury to Schutte on a fluke play at the end of a blowout against an over-matched opponent. Brittany was an amazing hitter and, if she had played full seasons in 2012 and 2013, might have broken the school home run record.
  12. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,961
    It is interesting that the F$U baseball program has made by far the most appearances of any school in the CWS without winning it (21...the next-closest are Clemson with 12 and Northern Colorado with 10), and the Lady Semis have also made the most appearances in the WCWS without winning it (7, tied with Nebraska & Okie State).

By comparison, UF has been there 8 times and this will be the Lady Gators' 5th visit to the WCWS, neither to date having brought home the hardware.
  13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    With Walton being an OU alum, ESPN will definitely paint him as "the villain" against the favored Sooners.
  14. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    For personal reasons I want a game with Nebraska be it in the winner or losers bracket.

And I would think there might be a player or two on the Gators that would like a crack at Arizona State for a whole host of reasons.
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Bear makes a valid reference to the team looking a little tight. But I would argue that for a young team like this the tightness probably maxed in the supers...the pressure was to get to the CWS. Once they achieved that, then I think (and certainly hope) that the pressure is off and they play a little looser.
    This isn't a team that has the pressure of "anything less than a national title is failure" hanging over their heads. Just need to keep the youngsters focused and avoid distractions. Thankfully the pitching is veteran and shouldn't be impacted by the stage
  16. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    If UF is going to do anything - this is the side of the bracket you want to be in. Granted UF can lose to anybody in this side of the bracket which may very well happen.

Washington - won all close games against Missouri without Missouri hitting at all - but is a team UF can matchup with.

UT - all extra inning games - won 2 of 3 - again a team UF can matchup with given the familiarity aspect of this game.

Nebraska - this would be the team in the bracket I would worry about. Going on the road against the PAC - 12 champion is not easy. And indirectly Nebraska got confidence in using their #2 pitcher. I think Nebraska coaches are in complete shock they got through their third game yesterday pitching a freshman that had not pitched at all in the NCAA tourney and she pitched the entire game.

Texas, Michigan, and ASU are all teams UF could certainly matchup up with.

Everybody except OU has been pressed in one way or another in the superregionals.

OU has been the only team that has been playing all world and has not been tested at all in terms of playing a close game.

Tourney is OU's to lose although if you can get OU into a tight game late in the game I would wonder how they would react to the pressure of that scenario considering everybody is expecting them to blow out everybody and you are basically playing at home with the home crowd.
  17. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Not quite--I think most would have issues if tornadoes that occurred near Gainesville were described as near tally! I know I would :grin: