Functional Training Still A Myth

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    Test compared more conventional core exercises, like planks, to unstable core exercises, like those using a medicine ball. Test concluded that the unstable movements did not yield improvements over stable movements in dynamic field tests.

Again, no need to chase novelty. Get stronger using conventional movements and practice the demands of your sport:

http://www.ncbi.nim.nih.gov/pubmed/21943626
  2. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    link is no good for me.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
  4. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    What about a combo or mix of both?
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    As far as I'm concerned you can do what you want. Just be aware of what your choice of exercises is accomplishing for you and what it is not accomplishing for you.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Saw a girl the other day kneeling on an exercise ball, doing dumbbell shoulder press. In that scenario I am sure she is working on balance, her core and shoulders. Maybe not the most effective way for any of them but I guess if you are pressed for time and want to train a few things at once its not bad.

I have terrible balance, id probably fly off the ball, hit myself in the head with one weight and break the gym mirrors with the other. I think I will stick to military press, planks and falling over in safer places than the gym.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    I'd be interested to find out whether this actually helps the young lady's balance. Next time to see her, touch her, prod her, just to see. Then report findings.
  8. mgloving

mgloving Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    There is nothing new under the sun

Can't say this is too surprising. However, one benefit of the functional training movement is that, while most of the exercises aren't any more effective, they can be more interesting/fun to perform. Exercising is as much of a mental grind as physical for a lot of people and if the movement challenges/stimulates them enough to keep their interest then it is all good.
    There is no question, though that the best way to improve performance is to perform. Exercise makes it easier for you to do well things that you enjoy doing.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Ha, I will be sure to post the police report, the cancellation of my gym membership or both.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    That's a very good point. In fact, I would go so far as to say that some of the more 'functional' exercises are more appropriate for the average person for whom training IS one's sport. For them, "How many snatches can I do in five minutes ?" would be the competition.

For the competitive athlete, whose sport is an injury waiting to happen, they arguably have a lower margin for error in their training.