FSU writing instructor tells it

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sevmonster, Nov 21, 2013.

1. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
  2. Warpear

Warpear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
  3. Warpear

Warpear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Next thing you'll tell me is that the jocks want to wedgie the literary nerds.
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,211
    Or that, as mentioned in the article, one of them thought it was a good idea to brag to a professor about how inciting a hate crime was one of the most meaningful moments in his life!
  5. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    This could have been written about a ton of universities. It's a sucky thing to think about.
  6. Warpear

Warpear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    LOL, the ONLY college I went to (and that's several as I've got multiple degrees) where the nerds didn't hate the jocks was at William and Mary. And that's because the jocks WERE nerds. The football team at Bill and Mary have to have the same super high gpa and SAT as the regular students and they made no exceptions. The football team was featured in a large national publication because they had a higher SAT score than Harvard, Stanford etc... as those schools DID allow exceptions.
  7. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    sad but true, and instead of saying a ton, you could say 99%
  8. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    I don't find any of the anecdotes in that article amusing at all. If that's what makes nerds hate jocks, then I side with the nerds.
  9. Warpear

Warpear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    So I tried to find the article, but the search terms are too vague. But the William and Mary football team back in 1998-2001 when I was going there had a 1390 average SAT score out of the then current 1600 max. They were actually decent for an FCS team as well as they went to the playoffs on a semi-regular basis and played in the final four.

But talk about nerds.

NERDS!!!!!

(insert pic of Ogre that I'm too lazy to look up).
  10. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Keep in mind that this is beig written by professors at the same institution that was recetly on probation for the music course scandal. We know it happens everywhere. The fact that it is written about FSU given what they endured from 2006 to 2008 makes it THAT much worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,211
    Was going to say, some of this is pretty dang close to what earned them their last probation and Bobby's portfolio of vacated wins.
  12. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Well written of course, but in fact, there's nothing in there that should surprise anyone. It's big time college athletics, for better or worse, and we all support it by being fans and buying tickets, and watching it on TV. There's not an easy answer. Like one of the comments posted said, it's not just an FSU thing, although they are probably the worst of the worst.
  13. fwhite42

fwhite42 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    You either have a very bad memory, or are delusional, or both. In the timeframe you mentioned, William & Mary went 4-4, 5-3, 4-4, and 7-2 in conference, making the playoffs once and losing in the first round. They were better before you got there and then again after you left, but pretty bad when you were there. I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though.

Come to think of it, maybe you aren't delusional or borderline amnesiac. Maybe you just have really odd definitions of "decent" and "semi-regular."

And, yes, I know I'm feeding the troll, but this seems like it might be fun.
  14. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I have always thought that "students" at schools that compete for championships and produce NFL players should be allowed to major in football. College is supposed to prepare you for your professional career, isn't it? It doesn't just have to be on field stuff either. Financial management, media training, cultural awareness, etc.

The argument that the availability of jobs is too scarce to make it worthwhile isn't any more farcical than a kid getting preferential treatment to weasel his way into staying eligible for 4 years then leaving school without a degree and without any real education as soon as his senior season is over.
  15. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    I don't think the same can be said of the University of Florida under Muschamp. This is what he is talking about when he says we are building the program the right way. I don't want to be a fan if I am willing to overlook this type of stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorCrazy11

GatorCrazy11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Sure, a lot of universities probably deal with the same stuff. But it's FSU. Considering the recent classroom scandal, this article is a real blow to the institution.
  17. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    This stuff is nothing new. I was in a Business Statistics course at UF (way back) with 2 football players. One of them, was an All-American D-lineman who went on to become an NFL Pro-Bowler. He was a smart guy and did very well in the class because he studied and did all the required work. The other clown was a complete bust in class…. but he was a very good player. He never got penalized for bad grades or skipping class. I guess its pretty obvious why…...
  18. ETGator

ETGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    No, it's more like an honorable professor telling the world what a cover-up is going on at F$U . . . kinda' like the smoke before a building suddenly bursts into flames and burns to the ground.

19. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,313
    Hate to say this, but a friend who attended UF in the 90s was in classes with athletes often, because her major was in the college where they taught recreation. She told me of multiple instances of athletes never showing up to class except to take tests and not participating in group projects at all but getting the same grade and the students who did the work. She also said a prof tried to get her to share her class notes with an athlete, which she would not.

I despise FSU as much as the next Gator, but I am not going to ignore that this is something that happens at every university, ours included.
  20. Neptune

Neptune Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Tell me more about your multiple degrees...:yes: