FSU win will be a important resume win.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by born2beagator, Nov 29, 2013.

1. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I think that everyone looked at the turnover stat and figured that we would run over them like last year.
  2. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +587
    They're a good team. This is a win that will really look good on the resume.
  3. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    seemed to me we were definitely better than them. played tight and missed many easy buckets. i figure we are about 15 points better than fsu. or, i could be completely mistaken.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    What I saw was our team playing good defense and the offense was working it but the shots just weren't falling. Probably things were going a little too fast around the bucket and we were rushing. But the most important aspect was that our lack of making our "easy" shots didn't affect our defensive intensity and rotations, save for a couple of press breaks by them. To me that is a really good sign for this team.

Prather was the MVG for this one but we don't win it without some damn timely shooting by Frazier.
  5. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    To me, with a very challenged understanding of the game, the lack of depth at the 5 seemed to be an issue. Without Pat in the game, FSU appeared to have a clear advantage. If FSU's bigs were better offensively I think we would have a tough time pulling that game out. DFS, makes a big difference because of his length, and overall there is more depth than last year, I just see the challenge when other teams have greater depth on the front line.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,262
    The lack of depth at both the 5 and the 1 hurt us. At the 1 we should be getting better over the next few weeks. At the 5 it is anyone's guess from what I can tell.
  7. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    FSU is one of the surprise teams in the NCAA. Much better than anyone anticipated. After they smashed VCU I started worrying about them. Thank goodness we managed a win. An 0-2 weekend against the Noles would have been intolerable.
  8. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    They're very inconsistent. Pomeroy still has them outside the top 30 becasuse they keep playing bad teams close.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,885
    In my opinion, it will all sort of "trickle down." I can't think of many teams with more than one quality low post presence/shotblocker. Kentucky is definitely one, but not many others. Yeguete can play the five fine against most EC bigs. The more Wilbekin can play the two, the more Frazir or Walker can play the three, the more DFS and Prather can play the four, the more Yeguete can help Young at the five. If Walker or Harris ever make it on the floor, then they would obviously help.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +368
    If the Box Score I saw was correct, FSU hit 20 of 23 free throw yesterday evening. Now, that is some kind of excellent percentage.
  11. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Gators were favored by 7 which surprised me. Didn't surprise me this was a one point game. I saw their game with Meat-chicken. Don't know how they blew that one. And they didn't just beat VCU they whacked them.

The difference between this and the usual Semi team is this team can score. Basketball is about scoring. Good teams score 70-80. Most of Leonard's teams have a 7 minute scoring drought once per game and lose, as a result.
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +590
    Hamilton's teams always struggle on offense. This one is no different. They have talent, but the coach is just not a good scheme guy.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +590
    The better team won last night, even though it played poorly enough to lose. Not our best showing at all. Every time it felt like we were about to pull away, we'd put together a string of missed shots and mental lapses. Some of it was just bad luck, like when the dude threw up an airball 3 and it landed right in the hands of a clueless dude who had an easy layup. We also seemed determined to defend like demons for 32 seconds into a possession, and then foul someone away from the ball for no apparent reason.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,885
    I attribute much of that to a lack of depth, especially the guys on the perimeter.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    FSU is actually pretty good this year. Their weakness is no consistent 3 point shooting. If they had that they would be extremely good.