Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Freedom to Express Religion

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, May 7, 2024.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Interesting one I just stumbled across. I can’t believe we have lawyers paid to make this fight…

All because the FCA was started at an elementary school the agitators take full advantage of the situation to agitate.

I know we have a few here that can’t stand people be allowed to express their religion freely and ignorantly try to call a club establishing a religion. But they are the enemy to the 1st Amendment.

Florida elementary school removes Christian club after outcry

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I seem to remember having an FCA club in high school. It wasn't mandatory and was after school hours so I'm not sure what the issue would be. Can people just complain about any organization they don't like just to get it off school grounds.
    What about schools that rent out their auditorium to a start up type church on Sundays?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can we cut the the chase and just make Shariah Laws illegal in all school in the U.S.A.?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Sounds like a "we dont want a Satanist club" response to me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You can have FCA, but you cant exclude other clubs with religious ties. Some schools would rather not allow them at all than have a "Satanist Club" or whatever. Same goes for renting out your space, you couldnt allow a church while denying space for a service from another religion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The argument seems fair that elementary school students are unlikely to be capable of running a school club without assistance from school employees or adults.

And it also seems fair that if the 5th grade students were in fact operating their FCA club absent assistance from employees or teachers, the school should have made that counter argument with evidence and allowed the club to remain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    From the article:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The nuance here seems to be this an elementary school, and thus the club is defacto lead by grownups not kids. Interesting distinction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    The issue was that this was an FCA club at an elementary school, and the FFRF argued that teachers or other employees (i.e. government employees) would have had to assist with running or operating the club, violating the Establishment clause.

The fact that the school did not argue against that assertion leads me to believe it was an accurate claim, and school employees of some kind were helping orchestrate the event.

That said, I don't know that it needed to be disbanded if conducted after school hours (with teachers, etc. "off the clock"), provided that it was truly kept voluntary in nature and practice.

• Like Like x 4
  11. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As long as kids aren't being forced into the club, and as long as other religious clubs are allowed (if sufficient interest exists) then I don't have an issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    There's of course a world of nuance behind the word "forced" (i.e. encouraged or coerced by teachers, pressured via peers or by feeling excluded, etc.), but I generally agree. It should have been allowed to continue operating, assuming good intent until proven otherwise.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I figured conservatives would cheer a public school refusing to do indoctrination of children

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So... parents need to be involved in their children's education too.

Do you Leftists think that these college "protests" are grass-roots with only students that don't have outside influences/guidance too?

Clubs, gathering or protests in school, or on school property, it makes no difference, there is always outside influence and help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I suppose if you could get enough 3rd graders together to have a satan club, have at it. As long as it's after school and isn't made mandatory by the teachers or anything. Same rules would apply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought Florida just passed a law to allow adult led religious groups at public schools. Seems dangerous given their history of molestation, but my kids wouldn't be there, anyway .... Also said they'd ban satanists, which should be overturned by courts, but probably won't be given the make up of the Florida supreme court and Scotus.

DeSantis signs bill allowing chaplains in Florida schools | Miami Herald

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The Constitution, especially the separation of church and state, requires constant vigilance. If the Christian right had its way, that clause would be abolished, and we'd be well on our way to a theocracy. The devil is in the details.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That and conflating the free exercise of religion with ramming it down the throats of others. Worship as you see fit, not everyone has to do it exactly as you do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    When has the Christian Right tried to establish their religion on people and made an attempt to abolish the establishment clause in the 1st Amendment?

I am sure there may have been small attempts that failed. But there is no movement to abolish the establishment clause. There are movements to protect the freedom to exercise one’s religion. And there should be if people attempt to stop someone exercising their right to express their religion.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I've mentioned before that when I was in high school, we had student council chaplain (a student) who would give some kind of daily message over the intercom. Could be anything (though I suppose the administration had veto power) ... the Bible, Koran, Torah, Lao Tzu, Ralph Waldo Emerson ...
    These days, I imagine it'd upset someone, no matter what he read.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1