Free Throw Shooting

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bbreece1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I see many people lamenting our FT shooting woes today. I feel the sane but I would add a proviso---IF you are a bad free throw shooter as a freshman you are always going to be a bad free throw shooter. Has nothing to do with practice. Shoot a 1,000 a day in ptactice, not one difference. I go back to 1957 and I can recall 1 player who went from being a brick mason to at least acceptable at the line--That was Noah. I'm sure most everybody on this forum with some instruction with form and practice could shoot atound 55-60%. That is in an EMPTY gym. In an arena with 12,000-18,000 peole watching and making noise and with a TV audience tuned in, you ain't shooting that 55%. I remember watching Wilt Chamberlain before games hit 20 free throws in a row, before a game Dennis Rodman could drain NBA 3 pointers. When game starts, different circumstances and different performances. Patrick Young and Will are going to be the free throw shooters we have seen in late game situations for the duration of their careers. Don't expect any miraculos changes. If anyone can come up with an NBA player who "learned" to shoot free throws, please post the name or names.
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Patric's gotten progressively worse each year. splain dat
  3. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Desi Arnaz couldn't splain that.
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +624
    Wrong. This isn't an inviolable law of physics. Brent Wright was terrible at the line as a freshman, sub-50% as I recall. He improved every year and shot over 80% as a senior.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +624
    Even on this year's team, you have Casey Prather who was abysmally bad his first two years. Now he's our most consistent. Practice, find a mantra, and shoot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I believe you about Brent Wright as a senior. I seem to have lost track of how he performed after that. I will give you that players can improve percentage over first 35 minutes or so but be careful in those last 4 to 5 minutes. Will probably be some reversion.
  7. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Every year our team seems to be near the bottom in free throw shooting. That tells me that it's more than just having bad FT shooters on the team. Free throws have to be practiced. You have to work your muscle memory so that you can duplicate the stroke.

There's a guy called the Free Throw doctor. He trained teams how to improve and in every case he helped teams shoot better free throws. He was retained by the Dallas Mav's a few years ago and they consistently rank as the highest FT shooters in the league. I think he now trains the Bulls and you can see a marked improvement with them as well. Coincidence? I think not. We need to retain him... http://www.freethrow.com/index.htm
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    I am most concerned about Wilbekin and Hill. Protecting close leads, the PG will be on the line down the stretch. Erving Walker made his living closing out games. I hope these guys get better
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I am with you on this. I always felt confident with Walker, Taurean Green, Dan Cross, etc at the line late in games. I just do not have that confidence "yet" with Wilbekin and Hill. I think Wilbekin exerts so much energy during the game he is just gassed but even in the earlier stretches of the game his free throw shooting is so so. With Young his form looks good until he misses one badly then it all falls apart.
  10. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    We aren't good as a team but I think some of it has to do with the minutes being played. The lack of depth shows in many different ways.
  11. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +906
    I feel like, especially in college basketball, bad free throw shooting is contagious. When you have guys that are missing two free throws or the front end of a one-and-one, it starts to creep slowly into other guys' who are normally decent FT shooters heads, especially in tight games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +316
    I hate that the last few minutes of just about any close game comes down to a foul shooting contest. I wish they would change the rule giving the team that was fouled the option of shooting free throws or taking the ball out of bounds, once it hits the double bonus
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    oneatatime, I believe you have a justifiable reason for wishing for the rule change.
  14. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I'm not so much worried about Will and Young, but with the other guys. Prather, Wilbekin, Hill, Frazier, Finney. We need them to get the free buckets at least 80 percent of the time at the line I think to make up for the bigs. We need a guy to be consistent late in games too. Prather has taken that to heart more than the rest so far. I hope Wilbekin gets it going and becomes more consistent at the line because that would be a blessing.
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +764
    Interesting idea, but this would put a huge damper on the ability of the team who is behind to lengthen the game. You hit a shot to bring the game within 4 points with a minute to go, and the other team now has the option to run down both of their shot clocks (if they can avoid steals), leaving you with only one possession score 4 points. Seems like it would drain the excitement a bit.
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    I've always wondered why no one ever talks about this. You should be able to "decline" the penalty, right?
  17. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    It would drain the excitement from some games, sure. But are the games played to "bring excitement" or to see who is better? For the record, I also hate the onside kick in football!!! :D
  18. oneatatime

Ratings Received:
    +316
    how about just in the last two minutes? I hate the "hack a shaq" concept beginning midway in the second half
  19. XRAY

XRAY Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    our opponents free throws go : SWISH
    Ours go : CLANG
  20. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I disagree completely on the idea that you can't improve free throw shooting. Sure, some guys will never get it..but most guys can improve. I guarantee we hire a top notch shooting expert we improve the free throw's of most of our players. Young lacks touch, that natural thing shooters have where it just comes out pure. He probably isn't going to improve no matter what you do...but the rest of the team very well could.