Free throw shooting (form)...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by outbackjack, Jan 29, 2014.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I know there are smarter gurus out there than I.......however, they continue to teach the wrong way.

I post after I watched Pat shoot at the line vs UT.

There is one very specific thing that all great shooters do, that most poor shooters DON'T do.

And it's all in the form.

It has to do with where they begin their shot.

Great shooters begin their shot at their waist.....exception Rick Barry :)

In one synchronized movement, hands go up to shoulder area, and all in one fluid motion the arms raise and shot is released. Once movement is engaged at the waist, the motion does not pause.

THE ENTIRE FLUID PROCESS MUST BEGIN WITH THE BALL AT THE WAIST.

Meanwhile, the bounce, the feet, the breathing, the repitition...etc. None of it matters.

The routine, which so much is talked about, is useless, if the actual form and release isn't consistent or correct.

Now for some unknown reason, shot gurus are teaching the wrong thing to Shaq and Pat and all others that struggle.

I'm sure they say meaningless stuff like envision the ball going in. Keep the same routine every time. Slow down. Speed up. Be confident.

Then, when it's time to actually shoot, time after time these guys begin with the ball above their shoulders, stop, pause, stare at the rim, whatever else they do. Meanwhile the ball is frozen in an awkward place.

Then the arm releases without a rhythm and surprise surprise, they miss.

Couldn't find Pat's online, but it's every time he's at the line.

Sort of reminds me of a baseball pitcher starting his pitch with his arm extended back and up into throwing position, or a golfer starting his swing with the club extended at the top.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    Dont tell us tell them
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Good insight. It is weird starting a shooting motion like that so unnaturally and I've never really noticed it. Can you relay this too Yeg and Pat please o_O. Wilbekin too maybe haven't watched him though I will now.
  4. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    Never ceases to amaze me that some dude on the internet knows more about shooting than our coaches.
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    Obviously this is not the case and the OP did not purport to know more than our coaches. I imagine our coaches share some very useful knowledge and routines wrt FT shooting. But when a kid gets out on the floor in the heat of the game, much of what they've learned goes out the door and they revert to habit.