Fox Guest Argues That Letting Children Go Hungry At School Teaches Them A Lesson

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Sep 9, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    the lesson from that Fox Guest for the children is to vote Dem when they grow up.
  2. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

He was identified as a education consultant...
    Political party wasn't mentioned in the article, video, or by anyone on this thread.

Are all issues political partisanship battles for you?

Debate the issue stop worrying about who's what BEFORE you post your position.

Whether he's a pub or not shouldn't really affect what you think about what he said.
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,020
  4. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    Well you were the one that said he was a pub. Perhaps you have selective memory when someone asks for clarification?

Partisan battles are for those of you who actually believe one side is better or different than the other. I personally think both sides are the same and terrible at doing their jobs.
  5. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Uhhh, for both of you....

That's from the author of the news article ...not me.
    So, you're both wrong.... its not selective memory of anyone... if you read

Maybe jumping to that conclusion says something about your motivation in responding?

Stop worrying about partisanship and discuss the issue.

Right now, I think we were left with someone (tasselhoff???) claiming that this guy never said it was a teaching moment.

Anyone want to defend that claim after watching the video?

BTW - I don't know if he's a republican or conservative but since most news shows usually present folks from both sides its reasonable to assume which position he is arguing but it was never directly stated in the video.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    I agree with your last statement 1000%.

Why anyone would associate with these crooks, allow them to dictate their thoughts and worst of all, send money in support of these criminals is beyond me. Those guys are laughing all the way to the bank thinking "man I just got money from ANOTHER idiot who believes my lies" cha-ching.
  7. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Maybe you just missed the fact that I didn't say that...the author of the article did?

But don't let facts get in the way of your position. :roll:
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    This is what I responded to.

9. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,020
    you posted that insinuating you totally agreed-sounds like you are saying it to me
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    Was shab reborn as 996??

If your kid is hungry at school and you refuse to pay or sendoney, have the school system bill your food stamp card. If it happens again, beat the hell out of the parents. Once a kid reaches 3rd grade or so, they need to figure out how to bring food to school. I have no tolerance for parents like this and fail to see how it is the schools fault for shitty parents.
  11. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    Well, it is generally pointless to discuss anything with someone so entrenched in his/her belief that one side of the political isle is any better or different than the other.

But, the article you cited obviously put a partisan spin on it and you posted it in such a manner that it certainly appeared to be your words. At least now you can see that the author attempted to politicize the issue and apparently you disagree with that attempt - good for you.

As for the actual content and whether or not the 'educator' was right or wrong in his statement, I dont think there is any merit in what he said. Kids should not be hungry in or out of school. Strong bodies make for strong minds. Punishing kids because their parents suck is a form of 'tough love' that I dont think the schools ought to be involved with.
  12. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +684
    I guess the comment regarding the school lunch is worse than the actual action of throwing the lunch away.
    As usual, the left the words thinks spoken by someone, is worse than the action that caused them.
  13. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I believe the term used was "teach them a lesson"

Which is different from

A teaching moment.

If you want to throw out accusations please try to at least get it right.
  14. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    996, what you did with the OP was very dishonest for any poster on this board (left, middle, right). What you did here was trolling and up to a point you succeeded. Most of the posters on this board (left, middle, right) usually put the cut and past items into a quote box and leave their opinions or interpretion of the linked source out of the quote box. This ploy here did suck some people in but not me. I have learned to recongnize your style of writting and quickly knew that this was a cut and paste job to do nothing but troll.

A lot of us have debated with you in the past year and I am sure that we can all agree that you are not very dishonest (intellectually and factually) with what you do here on Too Hot.

I have had more than my share of dust ups on this board with the Dem/Left posters on this board. For the most part they make a good attempt to have a fare and honest debate. Every now and then there is some firm nose tweaking done by both sides but usually it is done with in of the traditional bantering that both sides are famous for. In your case your intent is just to inflame not debate.

By the way here is a link to Kersting. I am not sure of his political position but I see that he is a therapist. Frankly I am not sure if I would take my kids to him if they were in need of his services.
    http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/Tom_J_Kersting_LPC_Ridgewood_New+Jersey_51564
  15. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I maintain that saying it is a teaching moment is nowhere near saying teach them a lesson. Of course, some are taking what was said and spinning it in the worse possible way...I wonder why?
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

WTF are you talking about?
    I posted the article...without any opinion or interpretation.

Then those who didn't like the article began claiming I called the guy a republican.
    I never did, the journalist who wrote the article did.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap about his political affiliation but everyone who has read this has jumped to the conclusion the journalist made and thinks Kersting is a pub.

Seems to make sense if you watch the actual video from FOX News....but I never said it because its irrelevant to the point that a FOX guest made these comments.

Draw your own conclusion of what political persuasion this guy is....
    Seems many here already have.

The video of the FOX segment is linked here:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/05/fox-news-guest-thats-a-teaching-moment-when-hungry-students-dont-get-school-lunches/

Fox News guest: ‘That’s a teaching moment’ when hungry students don’t get school lunches

By David Edwards
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:19 EDT

[​IMG]

A Fox News guest on Thursday argued that hungry students would have a “teaching moment” if they were refused access in the cafeteria line to school lunches because their parents hadn’t properly filled out the right paperwork.

During a segment on Fox & Friends, therapist and school counselor Thomas Kersting told host Gretchen Carlson that he approved of a New Jersey school district’s plan to reportedly “throw the meal away” if kids didn’t have enough money to pay for lunch.

“I agree with the superintendent,” he said. “I think it’s a little harsh. You know, I don’t think they’re going to throw the food out right in front of the kid and embarrass the kid.”

Kersting explained that some parents had allegedly told their children to accept the lunches before the paperwork had been completed and filed, and so the Willingboro School District had decided not to feed students unless their parents had signed the proper forms and been enrolled in the Free and Reduced Lunch program.

Carlson asked Kersting if he “had a problem with the fact that the kids ultimately end up being punished in this situation when it really is the parents’ fault.”

“Again, I think it is misleading that the kids are going to be punished,” Kersting replied. “We have more food than any other nation. You know, no kid is going to starve. You know, if one day a kid doesn’t have lunch, right, maybe that’s a teaching moment when that kid doesn’t have lunch. That may sound harsh saying that, but we’ve got to get people to start being responsible for themselves.”

“I can tell you from almost 20 years working in a school district, they’re not going to make the kids starve. That’s just kind of like a big warning to the parents,” he added. “And I have kids come to me, I give kids money all the time. And I’m broke from doing that over the years. No, I’m kidding.”
  17. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Actually the guy is not as hearless as his accussors (and as you echoed) make him out to be.

What the guy is trying to do is to get some of the deadbeat parents to take up the responsibility of feeding their own children. In our entitlement society many parents believe it is OK to let the gov't step in and take over their responsiblities. This is one of the reason why a good portion of young African American males in the inner have been or are currently in jail. As the guy said the child will not starve to death. However it is sad that the parents who are capable or should be capable of paying for the meals do this to their children. Sooner or later many of those same children will adopt the entitlement philosphy of their parent or parents. As odd as it sounds maybe more good will come out of holding back a child's lunch then harm. For instance:
    1, The child will quickly learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    2, The parents could be shamed into being better parents when their children ask why do you let me go hungry.
    Those two items can go a long way into building responsible adults. The child will see the consequences of their actions and appreciate what their parents do for them. Also, the parents will be better parents thus adding a big factor into stopping another generation going into peverty or being deadbeats.
  18. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    "Here’s another mean Republican who would starve hungry children and throw away their school lunches if they can’t pay."

And they drown kittens too.
  19. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I didn't watch the video so it might be in there, but I didn't see the words "teaching them a lesson" in the article. I think I may be the one who brought those words into the discussion. I think teaching a lesson is a better description than teaching moment because a teaching moment is about natural consequences whereas teaching a lesson is a human act.
  20. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    LOL!