Fowlers big plays

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Love the kid ...is a beast, but was he blocked or even accounted for on any of them?

Give him credit for still making the play and the play against UT was phenomenal, but I want to see our front 4 beat their man in front of them when fully engaged by the O-line

Besides Easley was anybody doing this?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    Wow, you really know how to bring out the negative. Powell, Fowler, Bullard, and Orr have all beaten their men plenty of times and made plays this year. If you want to focus on the upfield pass rush solely, then there are a couple good reasons for it. First, most one-on-one opportunities in the pass rush phase come in late game or two-minute situations (neither of which we've had many of this year) or third and longs (not sure the statistics on those). Second, in most certain pass situations, we emphasize kids staying in rush lanes both to reduce quarterback scrambles and to eliminate some of the screen or quick pass options, chiefly because the staff is pretty confident no one will beat our coverage vertically. That in turn means they aren't going to "pin their ears back" as often as a team that needs an upfield pass rush to stop teams on third down.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,561
    I want to see our DE's literally fly over the Oline to sack the QB. On a serious note they are doing a good job of pushing the pocket Fowler is also really young and still learning how to use his hands. Like Rserina says people are not going to beat our coverage much especially outside the hashes
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    of course easley did create alot of chances for other guys to make a play. but the staff has recruited lots of depth and was prepared in case something like this was too happen. however guys like fowler and powell have been very consistent in getting pressure and i don't expect the drop off to be as big as big network TV makes it sound. with our secondary as great as it is , i don't expect to many big plays getting over these guys. it was good that it happened early against miami, they learned il bet it won't happen again
  5. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I think our outside pass rush has improved enough this year that we won't miss Easley as much as we would have missed, say, Floyd last year. If anything, I think losing him will downgrade our run defense from "best in the country" to "one of the best in the country". Orr has been great this year, but he's no Easley.

Did anyone else notice Bullard getting some push when they moved him inside against Kentucky?
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    Agreed on Bullard. He was all over the backfield, though I couldn't tell if it was from end or three. At any rate, he is coming along nicely.

On Easley, isn't Orr playing the one-technique and Cummings technically replacing Easley? Muschamp mentioned Jacobs at the one, as well, though he played three last year. I probably need to watch the UK defensive film (HT: Lib) again when I get time--which will be never.
  7. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +18

Orr and Cummings are Ngs but Jacobs spent time there against UK. I thought it was due to the up tempo.

I just didn't see anything great from Bullard besides 3 plays. He I guess he shoved his man back but he would not get off the blk. His pass rush along with everyone else needs work. The ends use speed rushes or end up bull rushing because there pull n rip moves doesn't work. Speed rushes are ok if you lean and bend but they rarely do that. Imo, they should work on knocking down the hands of the OL.

Also, Powell is picking up a bad habit of spinning inside which he got crushed a time or two against Uk. Giving up contain like that is never a good habit especially when you take your vision away from the backfield.

I hate to sound so critical. They're good players and do a good job but there are improvements that need to be made. I think they will improve as the year goes on.
  8. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    so do you think against LSU, UGA and FSU all teams that like to drop back and throw it (but unfortunately LSU and UGA can really run it) we'll see where Fowler and Powell with whip the tackle consitently? Or enough to be disruptive and force turnovers?
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,880
    If you are throwing a ton off play action like they do, then probably not on the former, but yes on the latter. The big question is how well we might do against teams that are trailing. When we have a two-score lead and a team is trying to pass from the pocket, then it is much easier to get to the quarterback. That's what happened against UK.
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i think they can. these guys are REALLY good. of course we can't say anything for sure. but i expect these guys can get the job done against anyone in the country. if i remember correctly, people were saying that Tennessee had the best Oline in the SEC and those two guys seemed to do fine, i know easley was playing. but still easley didn't beat the whole Oline alone.