Former Gator Men's Tennis Coach M.B. Chafin Passes Away

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by hocgators, May 1, 2013.

1. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    A long time fixture of Gator athletics, and Men's Tennis specifically, passed away this morning. M.B. could talk about Gator tennis for hours, given the opportunity. There was no better ambassador of the Men's Tennis program than M. B. He was a long time assistant of Bill Potter, and became the head coach of the Men's Tennis Team at Florida in 1978. M.B. remained in that position until 1984. But M. B. was much more than just a coach to Gator tennis. He worked behind the scenes with the Gator Tennis Summer Camps for years after he stepped down as the head coach of the Gators. His entire adult life was spent on the University of Florida campus in Gainesville. From physical education instructor, to athletic coach, to tennis camp promoter, M.B. will always remain the consummate Gator!

He will be missed, and will always be remembered not only as one of, "the good guys" but as one of the Men's Tennis Teams greatest supporters and promoters.
  2. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    He was on the Phy Ed staff when I was there. Always positive and yes he loved tennis.
  3. ssgator80

ssgator80 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I went to the UF tennis camp in the late 70's. I remember him well because I got in some trouble. Matter of fact, a few of us snuck out of Yon Hall and got caught over by the girls dorm. LOL. The administrators wanted to send us home but Chappy Brown talked them out of it. Instead, ran the stadium early in the morning.
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,470
    Sad news we lost Coach Chafin. He was a great Gator.
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Funeral for Coach Chafin is Monday at 1:00 PM. First Baptist Church on 39th NW in Gainesville.