Former FAMU football player killed after car accident.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Sep 22, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,032
    I'm surprised if this is the first thread on here about this incident. What went down here to me was unthinkable. This was clearly someone that had no business being a police officer. He was either that nervous and didn't have his bearings or he saw an opportunity to load up someone with a bunch of lead. Either way he took an innocent life.
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    I searched to make sure there was no previous thread. Some of the blame has to go to the person whose door he knocked on. When I see an bloody injured person, I don't call the cops, I call for an ambulance.
  4. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Nah. The blame falls squarely on the one officer--the only one to actually shoot even though there were three of them there.

It's 2am and some stranger comes hammering my door, yelling, I'd be startled too and might call the police as well. Seriously, how is she to determine what was going on?
  5. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    I'm sure he must have been screaming for help if he was banging on the door. And if this is so, I sure hope she mentioned this when she called the cops otherwise in my mind she acted in an inhumane manner. I don't think we necessarily got the truth out of the women.

In any event, the police officer is an idiot that should do some time for manslaughter at the very least.
  6. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +813
    The 911 tape was released.....she reported it as a break-in. He only knocked on the door.

The cop who shot him bears responsibility, however, the cops thought they were answering an attempted robbery call. Imo, her call put the cops in that mindset.

911 at link:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/17/4320888/frightened-woman-heard-on-911.html#.Uj89mozD-M8
  7. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    From the link:
    "Viciously." That's a subjective call. How on earth does someone bang on a door "viciously"? May be loudly. May be even aggressively. But certainly not viciously.

Monroe wasn't there, did not observe Ferrell and should not have unduly embellished the factual account.
  8. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +343
  9. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    And that is the tragedy. An innocent man involved in an accident turns into a call about a potential robbery and the cops were right to be thinking in that way since how do they know, they are being told this. Even so, you are right, the cop is to blame...even if the woman mistakenly put them in that mindset.

I don't blame her given the circumstances as I think many, if not most, of us would just 911 rather than opening up our door to a stranger at 2:45 in the am...or maybe those with guns would get their gun and who knows then?
  10. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Even if he was, the commotion of it all wouldn't necessarily mean she was responsible for understanding or assuming that is what was in fact going on. I mean, what would you do at such a late hour? I know I probably wouldn't open my door.

No shortage of folks who have used the "needing help" ruse to gain access to people's homes only to commit crimes.
  11. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +343
    If I heard someone screaming for help? Shouldn't the woman at least conveyed this on the 911 call? If indeed the man was calling for help--something we will never know--then, as a good citizen, she certainly didn't do her due diligence. Not saying she's culpable of any crime there, though.
  12. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    I hear you, but we don't know what he was yelling. It's a tough situation for her; it's not about being a good citizen or even her being humane or not, but more about the conditions of the moment that shaped her response.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the victim was wrong or at fault for going to her house, just that the circumstances were ripe for this type of misunderstanding. Whereas for the police, even with an understanding that the real time decision making will lead sometimes lead to tragic mistakes (called the split second syndrome), the officer seems to be quite wrong in this instance.

And make no mistake, the CPD Police Chief, Rodney Monroe, is a good chief and police officer, and is not one to simply protect officers who did wrong--hence the charges.
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    My understanding is that the police officer that shot the man is under consideration for manslaughter. I believe he put something like 15 bullets in the guy.
  14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    Who the hell robs a house by knocking on the door anyway?

Stupid lady.
  15. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    The home invasion type of robbers.

I wouldn't open my door to a stranger at 2:30am in the morning (and I wouldn't open it without knowing who it was either), but I would talk to them through the door.
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Also from the link:
    Terrible in every way imaginable
  17. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Shot 13 or 14, hit him 10 times. The CPD officer, Randall Kerrick, was charged with voluntary manslaughter, which in NC means:

18. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,032
    Actually, your going to call 911 in which case both will be dispatched
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    Oh I wouldn't open the door either, Im just saying the stupid lady should know that he probably needs help and shouldn't put the cops on false alarm looking for a robber. I highly doubt someone would rob a house by banging on the door at 2:30 in the morning. Maybe a slight knock or a ring of the door bell I could understand but no robber would bring that much attention to himself.
  20. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    You wouldn't open the door because you wouldn't know who the heck is on the other side and what they might have in mind. It's logical not to under such circumstances, but it it would be logical to call the police, so I don't know why you keep calling the woman stupid for doing exactly what was the logical (and smart) thing to do.

Unlike say, burglarly where the goal in part is to remain undetected, robbery is a violent person crime that requires force or the threat of force upon another. Knocking on a door to get someone to open it up, perhaps feigning injury or needing help is a ruse that has been used before, just as kicking doors or windows in etc...