Forget Lolla, go to Riot Fest

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by LeafUF, May 13, 2014.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
  2. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Saw that lineup and I agree wholeheartedly. Yes, Grant Park is infinitely nicer and way more conveniently located but Riotfest has a MUCH better lineup. Lolla is really slipping, IMO.

Debating this one or ACL. I really want to see The Replacements, again, as well as Beck.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    I really like this Chicago lineup but Riot Fest is also going to Denver which is a much easier flight for me. And the lineup for that one is pretty good too. Wasn't planning a September festival but this may change things.

ACL is a good draw for me just because its not that often you can see Pearl Jam. Otherwise I was not that impressed by ACL the time I went.
  4. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,382
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Was just about to post about Riot Fest myself. Almost fainted when I saw the lineup. Already have P4k tix, as do both my kids. My son and I will probably do Riot Fest. Not even considering Lolla. It's been sold out for ages.

Regarding which is the best festival, you can't really judge p4k until it's over. Every year there are so many bands I've never heard of and so many of them blow me away and blow up immediately after the festival. The venue is the best of the three. It's not as pretty as Grant or Humboldt Park, but it's so much more convenient. Even though they have fewer bands, it's actually possible to see some part of all 40+ bands and the park is small enough that you don't wear yourself out walking from one of the three stages to the next.

Lolla is a great festival and Grant Park a great venue, but it's really hard to get to. It seems like it's close to the train, but it's gotta be close to a mile from the Wabash El stop. When you get inside the park, the two main stage areas are nearly a mile apart. Even with 120 bands, you're lucky if you see 30 in three days.

Riot Fest has definitely become the best purely based on the music. It's hard to get to by CTA, but I was actually able to park a block away last year. If you did walk from the Division Blue Line stop in Wicker Park, you'd be walking through the funkiest hood in town. If you rode the Blue Line all the way to North Ave. it would be a shorter walk, or a very short bus ride. Humboldt Park is very nice, but you hardly see it with all the carnival rides, concessions and stages. The lineup the past three years has been incredible. I was really impressed with the quality of the sound, much more consistent than P4k, which has a lot of smaller, often stridently low-fi acts. Only thing I don't like at Riot Fest is the dodgy, aggressive element that the metal and hard core punk bands attract compared to P4k, which is extremely mellow.

Denver and Toronto lineups look good, but were substantially smaller. Chicago seems a no-brainer.

I have one spare bedroom available for Riot Fest. Daughter is back in school by then. My son goes locally and will probably stay at home that weekend so he can commute back and forth with me. Even if he stayed on campus, his room is barely habitable. Would gladly welcome a pubster for the weekend.
  6. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Entire Riot Fest lineup for those who don't want to follow the link.

The Cure * Jane's Addiction * The National * Rise Against * Weezer * The Flaming Lips * Social Distortion * Slayer * The Offspring * Wu-Tang Clan * Descendents * Tegan and Sara * Metric * Samhain * Cheap Trick * ???? * Pussy Riot (Nadya Tolokonnikova & Masha Alekhina) * Patti Smith • Taking Back Sunday * Die Antwoord * City and Colour * Paul Weller * The Used *Bring Me The Horizon * ???? * NOFX * Dropkick Murphys * Gogol Bordello * Of Mice & Men * Mastodon *The Afghan Whigs * Naked Raygun * Cock Sparrer • Dashboard Confessional * Superchunk * Billy Bragg * Blue Meanies * Lucero * New Found Glory * Saosin w/ Anthony Green ???? * Mighty Mighty Bosstones * The Murder City Devils * Mudhoney * Failure * Hot Snakes * The Dandy Warhols • Thurston Moore * Circa Survive * The Get Up Kids * Motion City Soundtrack * Me First and the Gimme Gimmes * Streetlight Manifesto * Clutch * GWAR * Buzzcocks * Andrew W.K. * Bouncing Souls * Stiff Little Fingers * Face to Face • Kurt Vile & The Violators * Marky Ramone w/ the Bouncing Souls * Wavves * Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears * We Came As Romans * Senses Fail *The Orwells * ALL * Mineral * Title Fight La Dispute * RX Bandits *Samiam * 7 Seconds * Anti-Flag * The Menzingers * The Front Bottoms *Silverstein * Emarosa * Citizen The World is a Beautiful Place... * Bad Suns * The Pizza Underground * The Hotelier * Nostalghia * In The Valley Below • Radkey * Pianos Become The Teeth * Modern Baseball * I Am the Avalanche * Skaters * Laura Stevenson * Cerebral Ballzy * Red City Radio * PUP * Dads * Show You Suck * The Unlikely Candidates * Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas • My Gold Mask * The Bots * Broncho * The American Scene • Baby Baby * Restorations *Wounds * Plague Vendor * Team Spirit * Somos * Rose’s Pawn Shop * Chumped * Archie Powell & The Exports * Ex Friends * UR Lineup Sux Bro * Ughhh, My Parents Are Here

More to be announced!! (This wasn't enough?)
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Beck is the opening night headliner at p4k.
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Hideout Block Party/AV Club Fest will be held the weekend before Riot Fest. It's only two days, but also only $65 and they allow you to leave and come back as long as you keep your wrist band. It's probably the least conveniently located festival of all, but it is near the Gator Club HQ, which has come in handy in the past. I remember leaving the festival to walk down North Ave and catch a Gator game, then walk back just in time to see the dB's.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    No lineup announced yet for Hideout BP, but it's always good. Neko Case plays every other year. She and Kelly Hogan used to be bartenders there. Somebody told me that Neko used to live upstairs at the Hideout.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Pitchfork Music Festival, July 18 - 20, Union Park, Chicago

BECK, GIORGIO MORODER, SUN KIL MOON, DEATH GRIPS, SHARON VAN ETTEN, AVEY TARE'S SLASHER FLICKS, NENEH CHERRY, FACTORY FLOOR, THE HAXAN CLOAK, HUNDRED WATERS, SZA, NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL, ST. VINCENT, DANNY BROWN, TUNE-YARDS PUSHA T, CLOUD NOTHINGS, THE FIELD, FKA TWIGS, WILD BEASTS, KELELA, THE RANGE, MAS YSA, EMPRESS OF, CIRCULATORY SYSTEM, TWIN PEAKS, KA, KENDRICK LAMAR, GRIMES, SLOWDIVE, REAL ESTATE, SCHOOLBOY Q, EARL SWEATSHIRT, DEAFHEAVEN, DIIV, HUDSON MOHAWKE, DJ SPINN, ISAIAH RASHAD, JON HOPKINS, PERFECT PUSSY, MAJICAL CLOUDZ, DUM DUM GIRLS, MUTUAL BENEFIT, SPEEDY ORTIZ
  11. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Amazingly cool Riot Fest lineup. Lucero, Social Distortion, Face to Face and 7 Seconds are worth the price of admission by themselves.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Neutral Milk Hotel is a must see. They've reformed and are absolutely killing it everywhere they go.
  13. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    For those of you who are picky about your beer, official vendors are Goose Island for Pitchfork, Budweiser for Lolla, Lagunitas for Hideout and Dos Equis for Riot Fest. Last year Riot Fest also had a vendor selling some vile looking wine based beverages. I've seen more people fighting, vomiting and urinating in public at Riot fest, more people tripping/freaking out at p4k and more people stealing iPhones at Lolla.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Heard the same thing. I'm expecting that to be the best set. Dum Dum Girls shouldn't be far behind, thought that's a bit of a personal fave/guilty pleasure for me. They are super hot. Hope they do a record signing. There will be no shortage of lovely females on stage. They should have booked Kim Gordon, especially since her ex is playing Riot Fest.

Really intrigued by Giorgio Moroder. P4k always throws somebody completely out of left field into the mix. They don't book a lineup. They "curate" it.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Saw NMH at Coachella. I really enjoyed it but the show had a weird vibe as I don't think the Coachella crowd really appreciated it. And none of the people I was with even knew who they were.

Also, those beer vendors are solid. If I have to have another Heineken at a festival I will hurt someone.
  16. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +832

Stealing iPhones?

Definitely an interesting crowd at Riotfest. Probably more kin to the early Lollapalooza crowd.

There are so many festivals with great lineups this year. These two caught my eye

http://shakykneesfestival.com/2013-2/

http://lineup.forecastlefest.com/
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    My daughter got her iPhone stolen at Lolla last year. When we went to the Verizon store the next day, they said that 20 or 30 other young women had already come in for the same reason.

From what I heard about first generation Lolla crowds was that it was a lot of young suburbanites drinking way too much. That was what was so great about p4k from the beginning. As easy as it is to get to for people close in, it's difficult and a bit frightening for far west or north suburban kids. if you don't live close in, it looks like "the hood." It's only two blocks from the United Center. To date, crowds at p4k have come from 45 states and 26 countries.

Can't figure the Riot Fest crowd yet. When it was indoors at the Congress theater for the first seven years, it was young, very unruly suburban punks and headbangers. Nobody travelled very far. The first year it went outside it caught a lot of people off guard. The lineup and new venue were introduced so late that I don't think it drew from very far. By the second year (last year) publicity was much better planned and the crowd came in from all over.

My biggest problem with Riot Fest is that they turn this beautiful park into a giant maze of concert stages, carnival rides and very dodgy food, beverage and schwag vendors and it's very hard to find your way around. It's like compacting Lolla and a trashy county fair into a space much smaller space than what was meant for either. There aren't enough porta-potties, healthy food vendors or professional security people around. They were also very short on maps and printed schedules. You can't walk 50 feet into p4k without getting maps, schedules and all kinds of other helpful literature into your hands. If you download p4k's app, which is available weeks before the festival, you don't even need that. I don't recall anything like that available for Riot Fest.

Don't get me wrong. That was an incredible festival last year and I was only there for one day. The first two days fell during Yom Kippur, so I missed those, but caught the best day of the festival, seeing the Pixies and Replacements back to back, after seeing six or seven other great acts. It was just very disorienting with little line of site between main stages and no logical naming of stages related to actual locations. Maybe they will get it together this year. Then again, this festival is 10 years old and 30 seconds into my first visit at the old Congress Theater eight years ago, a 14 or 15 year old kid vomited on my shoes. They can bring all the carnival rides and cotton candy they want, but this will never be a family friendly festival. P4k and Lolla are very much so. Been bringing my kids to p4k since they were 12.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Yes, I agree with the layout for Riotfest as well as the concessions. No rhyme or reason.
  19. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +939
  20. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,268
    Some of you might as well just move to Chicago for the summer. On top of the festivals, you can see Bob Mould and Richard Thompson at Pritzker Pavilion on different dates, both free, Guided by Voices plus eight or ten other bands at the Green Music Festival for $5.00, JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound, High on Fire and 10 or 12 other bands at the Do Division street festival, also $5.00. Other acts coming through town include Jack White, Arcade Fire, New Order, Peter Hook and the Light (I guess it won't be the original lineup of New Order), Echo and the Bunnymen, Camera Obscura, Billy Corgin, Elvis Costello, English Beat, The Faint, Bryan Ferry, John Fogerty, The Hold Steady, King Khan and the Shrines, Low, Dave Matthews, Morrisey, Peter Murphy, NIN, Soundgarden (on the same bill), Conner Oberst, Phish, Jonathan Ritchman, UF's own Walter Salas-Humara, Urge Overkill, Vampire Weekend and many other big names throughout the summer at various venues. You can see the whole schedule here…

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/EarlyWarnings?narrowByDate=&eventCategory=807943&sortType=type