For All you Negative Nancys (Debbie Downers) or Nancy's Spewing

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by NOLAGATOR, Feb 8, 2018.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +6,639
    Ok so he wanted to go to NEBRASKA .. Who’s next ?
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    ...did you not understand the question that was asked of me?
  3. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Old timer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,050
  4. n210sgator

n210sgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +313
    I do - “So who were YOUR realistic choices BETTER than McIlwain?”

Frost was my number one guy. (Can’t say definitely better choice given no big school experience, but I liked him.
    Didn’t think Chip would fit or stay, so while he would have made a big splash hire (and undoubtedly resonate with recruits), he was not realistic option for me.
    Mullen was my second choice as the other three or four best options were either head coaches at smaller schools (unproven as capable on the big stage a la McIlwain) or proven but character/temperament risks.

So there! Was that so difficult?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,822
    My #1 pick was Frost. While I have no idea how hard we pursued him, I don't think he wanted to come.

Imagine if the OU job was open in 1989/1990. Further imagine that Ray Graves was still at Florida at that time.

Do you think Spurrier would have turned us down, plus his former coach, to go to OU?
    It sounds pretty ridiculous, frankly. Even if OU had offered him more $?
    This was the exact same scenario that Frost faced. A good school with a good tradition, vs his alma mater, his home state, and his mentor/ former coach.

While those of us who either live or went to UF think it's a no-brainer to pick UF over the cold climes of Nebraska, that was still Frost's home and where he grew up.

So it's pretty ridiculous to fault our leadership to not get Frost. It's frankly self-centered and idiotic. So I don't.

So who was next...Kelly? Kelly turned us down too. He took less $. I would pick Mullen over Kelly, but our administration clearly did not. But Kelly preferred LA over Gainesville.

So now who was next...I think Mullen was clearly the best choice of everyone available.

Here's who else was hired this off-season...
    Kevin Sumlin
    herm Edwards
    Chad Morris
    Willie Taggart
    Jeremy Pruitt
    Jimbo Fisher
    Billy Napier..

At least on paper, Mullen is a better candidate than all of the above. IMO of course.

So who else should we have hired again?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Briang8r

Briang8r GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,329
    He's not a better candidate than Fisher. I get the fsu hate, and encourage it, but come on. If your point is that Mullen was the best, realistic choice for Florida, then I get that. But all else being equal, he's not a better candidate....yet.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,836
    I'm not convinced that Fisher would have been a better choice than Mullen -- especially given Mullen's past winning history at UF, his experience under Urban Meyer, 13 years SEC experience, and 9 years successful head coaching experience in the toughest division in all of college football.

The only thing you can say Fisher has on that is his NC with Rapeis at the wheel -- there's no denying the accomplishment of winning a NC under any circumstances, but that in itself does not trump all of Mullen's clear qualifications, including his UF heritage.

And it can be argued that given all the talent he's had to work with, the piss-poor ACC as your only obstacle every year, and 8 years on the bridge while UF and Miami were both in perhaps the lowest slumps in their histories, maybe Jimbo should have more to show for himself than that one NC.

Give me Mullen over Fisher
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,822
    Agreed, sorry. I was trying to keep my post short.
    There was no way NO WAY that we would hire Jimbo or he would come to UF.
    I just meant that of the candidates FOR FLORIDA, Mullen was the best.
    Jimbo was not a candidate.
    But on paper, I agree, Jimbo is a better overall candidate for head coach for a different school.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    Clearly not: the question was

I answered it.
  10. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    ...still waiting on why I should bother?

So you could sit here and shoot down every suggestion and pretend like Mullen is a better choice than Saban, Meyer, and Bear Bryant combined?

...yea, pass.
  11. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    No question that Fisher was a better candidate--but no way would we consider him and I wouldn't have wanted him here either. His handling of personnel issues leaves much to be desired--and he won't have nearly as many people in Gainesville covering for the football team as he would in Tallahassee.

Matt Campbell and (Brian) Kelly were good candidates that probably weren't considered from what we know, but should have been.

Only downside to Kelly would have been his buyout at ND; but he's been a bit unhappy there the past few seasons and combines a better coaching record with experience at a high-profile job. Never really saw him offered as a choice; but he would have definitely listened had we approached him because, like Fisher, he's frustrated by a perceived lack of support from the University administration (they reject a lot of his recruiting targets for academics--and he gets irritated at the restrictions it places on the football team as a result when he's competing against schools that have no qualms accepting questionable grades) and fans (he was rumored to be very annoyed at how many ND fans sold their tickets to the georgia game).

Campbell has won Coach of the Year at both the MAC and Big 12--beating two top 5 teams in Oklahoma and TCU in the process. The guy can definitely coach and rebuild a team...and Iowa State is as poor in football history/tradition as Miss State is. Younger than Mullen too...and I'd argue more upside since he has a better resume. Had we reached out to him prior to his Nov contract extension, he would have been cheaper too.
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +584
    Campbell had a humongous buyout and signed an extension almost immediately after the last regular season game. I liked him a lot, but knew he wasn't a realistic option.

Brian Kelly..........meh. Can't see how you'd think he's a better option than Mullen. He hasn't really done anything of note at a program with much more prestige and resources than Dan had at MSU. 2-9 vs top 20 teams.
  13. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,305
    OH, but you sit back and CRAP all over the decision of bringing in Mullen. Mullen fit the bill, knows UF and wants to be here. He and two on his staff brought us two NCs.

Like I said before, I like Charlie Strong but his timing has never seemed to fit. And guess what, I'm not AD. I'd have given Kerwin a shot and the NATION would have shown me the door.

Difference of opinion is healthy. It's how you learn and come up with new ideas BUT just throwing crap out there without defending it is just noise.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    Had we reached out to him *prior* to the extension, he would have come a lot cheaper (we had all month of Nov to indicate our interest behind the scenes). And it's my understanding that Mullen's buyout was comparable to what Campbell's would have been.

Better record against a schedule only slightly less demanding than Mullen's. This is from before the 2017 regular season; but Kelly sneaks into the top 10 best coaches vs top 25 teams; Mullen is in the bottom 10:

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/07/which-college-football-head-coaches-best-worst-vs-top-25/

Kelly went 3-3 this year against top 25 teams (lost vs georgia, miami, and Stanford; beat USC, NC State, and LSU); Mullen was 1-3 (beat LSU, lost to georgia, Auburn, and Bama).

I don't think Kelly is lightyears better than Mullen, but he's shown the ability to get to multiple 10 win seasons against tough competition (ND has faced fsu, clemson, and NC State in recent seasons--and always plays Mich State, USC, and Stanford)--while having recruiting restrictions that most other top 15 coaches don't have (with the exception of Stanford). It's easier for me as a result to see Kelly having higher upside when those restrictions are lifted (because he still has a proven track record of more wins than not against top competition) as compared to Mullen.
  15. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,305
    SKINK:

Gotta love it.

Monty Python was classic.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,836
    You left out Vince Lombardi
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,836
    I don't want to get on the cart
    I think I'll take a walk. . . .
  18. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    True, true. I had Belichick on my original list, but figured it'd be best to stick to college coaches.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +23,117
    Guys, keep the posts on content and not on each other.

Thanks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +584
    ND is a perennial powerhouse. 10 wins should be the minimum accepted at a program like that. MSU is a perennial bottom dweller. 10 wins is better than they've ever had before. That being a yearly thing at MSU just isn't all that likely. Kelly has been an underachiever at ND.

I believe Campbell's buyout was nearly 10million before the contract extension. Don't remember what Mullen's was, but pretty sure it was less than 5.

*actually the only posts I can find about it are Pat Dooley's comments that we only had to pay MSU 500k to break the contract. That's a pretty big difference, half a million vs 10 million...
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 1:14 PM